Page 20 of 88 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I don't think either team has great infield defense, but you need to stop huffing glue if you think the Yanks outfield can hang with the better teams in the league (including Boston). Judge and Stanton move okay for giant goons, but they're both DHs hiding in outfield corners. Gardner used to be able to pick it pretty well, but he's old and busted. Hicks is a 4th outfielder. Boston is rolling three guys out there who can play a high-quality center.

OTOH, I'm reluctant to give the Sox FO or coaching staff too much credit for a low k rate. It's not like other teams see Betts and tell their players not to have a 1:1 k:bb rate while slugging north of .600 as a righty. That is Joe DiMaggio or Albert Pujols in their primes kind of stuff.
    You don't know shit re OF defense. Judge is really good (BTW, he's fast, see him steal 3d yesterday?). Gardner still covers center, though they have been flipping Hicks into CF, I like Gardner in CF and Hicks in LF. Hicks is a superior fielder.

Betts is the probably the best defensive OF in the league, but that doesn't equate to the Yankees not being high quality.
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 07-13-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

O's rolling over for everyone and Sox have been dominating them for a few years now. Don't be mad that Yanks aren't doing the same.
    O's won season series in 2017 10-9. Sox won 11-8 in 2016. O's won 11-9 in 2015. O's won 11-8 in 2014... Dominating?

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yeah, offensive WAR is a wash, but you were comparing them defensively, which there is just no comparison. Bradley, Betts, Benintendi vs. Garnder, Judge, Stanton is no contest on defense. Throw JD in there, and it's a wash offensively, too.
    I guess if JBJ gets hot, but it's just as likely that Stanton will not continue to under perform as well, or that Martinez and Betts come back to earth.

I thought WAR included both offense and defense, my apologies if I had it wrong. To simplify: Yanks have a better hitting OF, the Sox play better defense.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    I guess if JBJ gets hot, but it's just as likely that Stanton will not continue to under perform as well, or that Martinez and Betts come back to earth.

I thought WAR included both offense and defense, my apologies if I had it wrong. To simplify: Yanks have a better hitting OF, the Sox play better defense.

WAR includes defense
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post

Yep. Obviously. Boston's got JBJ out there, who might be the best defensive outfielder in the league, and is a bad hitter. The Yanks are rolling out two lumbering sluggers and a 35 year old guy who used to be a good left fielder. But that deployment gives them options to get good bats in the lineup. It's a trade-off. Not everyone can be Mike Trout.

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    O's won season series in 2017 10-9. Sox won 11-8 in 2016. O's won 11-9 in 2015. O's won 11-8 in 2014... Dominating?
    As I said, I am not local so don't pay as much attention to the day-to-day. 1-9 this season and going to the end of season series at Fenway vs O's where they did a shutout sweep (maybe O's scored a couple one game?) and that was in a season Sox weren't good. So, when I pay attention, they roll them. I should pay attention more when they play O's and they will roll.
    Summers are too busy for the minutiae.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I like Gardner in CF and Hicks in LF.
    This is why Hicks and Gardner play CF and LF.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-aar...ph/c-173513490
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

It always pissed me off that Gardner had to play left when he was a much better CF than Ellsbury although I bet Ellsbury is a much better golfer at this point.

That was a great throw.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Betts is the probably the best defensive OF in the league, but that doesn't equate to the Yankees not being high quality.
    I'd give that to title to JBJ but Mookie's no slouch.

Mookie

Mookie is casually two for two with two triples and two RBIs.

This cat Thornburg is nasty. Works fast as hell. Big injuries in the past but he's on it now. I like it.

Hope he can stay healthy. Gotta be happy for him to make it all the way back after two years away from the game.

OFFICIAL 2018 MLB THREAD

This Sox game is exactly why I’m not sold on a big playoff run. Their relief sucks balls. Porcelo has a bad outing and no one could pick him up.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    This Sox game is exactly why I’m not sold on a big playoff run. Their relief sucks balls. Porcelo has a bad outing and no one could pick him up.
    They could pick up an extra bullpen arm in a trade, and the pitching staff gets shorter in the playoffs, but I see what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    By the time I turned this game on it was 8-7 Toronto so I'm not sure what happened tonight but the bullpen is decent, I haven't been miffed, if I was looking for faults with this team that's not where I'd start, they're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    By the time I turned this game on it was 8-7 Toronto so I'm not sure what happened tonight but the bullpen is decent, I haven't been miffed, if I was looking for faults with this team that's not where I'd start, they're ok.
    Kimbrel is great, but it's a little thin behind him. Plus, he will wear down if they can't get him rest.

It is weird to see a team playing on a 100+ win pace and thinking how they aren't going to be able to rest guys down the stretch.

I think keeping your foot on the gas is a good thing down the stretch. It seems like whomever is the hottest team going in ends up winning it all lately.

Walk off grand slam by Bogerts!! I fucking love these Sox!!

So awesome. Just sitting here with a shit-eating grin on my face. WOOT!

That was awesome. What a game.

judas, is this the MLB thread or the red sox Yankees thread ? nearly two pages of nothing but sox-yanks. that's okay, you guys can squabble about it all you want, you know you're not getting by the Astros.

just teasing, I actually think the yanks will make the WS this year as they have a bull pen and the Astros closer just imploded and was sent down. the Astros do not have a good substitute closer unless one of their starters is convinced to be a closer for the greater good.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Hey, nobody’s talking about any other teams. Baseball is dying.

I’m an Astros fan if the Sox are eliminated.

Well that HR Derby was pretty exciting. Cool for Harper to get it in front of the home town crowd. I’ve never seen him that excited. Normally he’s pretty stoic about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    judas, is this the MLB thread or the red sox Yankees thread ? nearly two pages of nothing but sox-yanks. that's okay, you guys can squabble about it all you want, you know you're not getting by the Astros.

just teasing, I actually think the yanks will make the WS this year as they have a bull pen and the Astros closer just imploded and was sent down. the Astros do not have a good substitute closer unless one of their starters is convinced to be a closer for the greater good.
    The Astros have the best rotation in the AL. They can get the bullpen straightened out and get it done in the postseason.