Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2176
    Thanks for the memories Joe. Would have like to keep him but...
    Got him from a team Sox beat in the WS, and losing him to a team the Sox beat in the WS. A different kind of cycle...

There has been a lot of discussion this offseason about the possibility of limiting the shift or doing away with it completely, and it sounds like there is plenty of support for a major rule change within Major League Baseball.

Toronto Blue Jays president and CEO Mark Shapiro, who sits on baseball’s competition committee, does not want to see the league telling teams where players can and cannot line up. However, he said Thursday that his opinion on the subject places him in the minority.
    MLB commissioner Rob Manfred has always been an opponent of the shift, and he said he would keep track of how much it impacts offense across the league. According to ESPN, shifts were up 30 percent last year and the league-wide MLB batting average was .248 — the lowest mark since 1972.

Any rule change such as outlawing the shift would need approval from the MLB players’ union, but Jayson Stark of The Athletic reported earlier this month that Manfred has received “strong” backing from the competition committee to put something in place that would limit shifts. One front office executive told Stark he believes “it’s a lay-up to get (such a rule) approved by the players.”

There’s no question we would see more offense across baseball if the shift was eliminated or limited, and some of the game’s most recognizable figures have spoken out against it. Baseball purists will argue that hitters should simply adjust by hitting the ball the other way, but it seems like some sort of change is coming.
    Or maybe MLB batters could work on their ability to beat the shift.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...XDy?li=BBnba9I

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Or maybe MLB batters could work on their ability to beat the shift.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...XDy?li=BBnba9I
    Yeah, no shit. It doesn't even require work, just the desire to do it. Anyone that has the skill to hit major league pitching can hit the ball the other way, especially since the pitcher is pitching outside as they do to a pull hitter.

Kills me when a hitter has the whole side of the infield open and they still try to pull it. This is all driven by stats that drive salaries with no regard for team play. A single doesn't translate to anything come contract time and strikeouts and non-statistical play (moving runners over, etc.) mean nothing. That 1 out of 20 home run earns cash as well as the meaningless up/down by 5 in 9th home run. Baseball (and most sports nowadays) have gone away from team play because of the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Haha, he's totally trolling trump. "Hey little buddy..."

Good find.

And yeah, bummed about losing Kelly.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

OFFICIAL 2018 MLB THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Seems like a good deally, but I'm concerned about his 4.40 ERA last season- maybe batters is holding back for that 98 MPH fastball? Of course, the Doyer's hitters had no plate discipline during this past World's Series, making Kelly look unbeatable.
    He had a few weeks in the regular season where he couldn’t throw strikes. A few outings were hard to watch.

There were local sporto talking head advocating leaving him off the postseason roster.. thank god that didn’t happen.

When he puts it all together, with that ridiculous slider in particular, he is a weapon.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 12-21-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Kelly seems like the type of guy you want around in your clubhouse, even if he’s not on top of his game. He will be a legend in Boston not just for his WS performance, but also plunking Austin and not giving AF

Woah. Puig and Kemp to the Reds. The Dodgers day’s may be numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Yeah, no shit. It doesn't even require work, just the desire to do it. Anyone that has the skill to hit major league pitching can hit the ball the other way, especially since the pitcher is pitching outside as they do to a pull hitter.

Kills me when a hitter has the whole side of the infield open and they still try to pull it. This is all driven by stats that drive salaries with no regard for team play. A single doesn't translate to anything come contract time and strikeouts and non-statistical play (moving runners over, etc.) mean nothing. That 1 out of 20 home run earns cash as well as the meaningless up/down by 5 in 9th home run. Baseball (and most sports nowadays) have gone away from team play because of the stats.
    Funny thing, you make em honest with a few singles against the shift and they may decide to honor playing straight a little more.
    You know what really peeves me about the whole thing? It's that fielders are allowed to carry cheat notes on the batters. Call me a purist, but that just not seem to honor the game. Manager can have that and then find a way to signal to players if it means that much to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Maybe clearing some salary for Harper. But yeah, again, their days are possibly numbered still.

Dodgers apparently have lots of options.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Dumping salary and bad attitude for Harper or Machado
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

They don't want, nor need, Machado. Harper's an option if they can structure a favorable deal. They do need a catcher, and that makes Realmuto a more important target than Harper, as los Doyers have plenty of outfielders. And I'm not convinced that Harper is the leader they've been missing since Kirk Gibson. Definitely not worth $40M / annum.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Dumping salary and bad attitude for Harper or Machado
    If they are dumping "bad attitude" then they must be making room for Machado.

RIP Mel Stottlemyer.

Saw him hit an inside the park grand slam in the old Yankee stadium. The old old Yankee stadium.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    If they are dumping "bad attitude" then they must be making room for Machado.
    He seemed like Mr. Positivity this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    RIP Mel Stottlemyer.

Saw him hit an inside the park grand slam in the old Yankee stadium. The old old Yankee stadium.

You...were there!

kinda weird video eh?

Wow, yeah, strange.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yankees sign Ottavino. Pen is looking tough. Meanwhile, Sux lose their set up guy, Kelly, and Kimbrell is still a free agent. Kinda wondering what they’re thinking

I'm sure they've finally woken up and decided to bow to the Yankee's superiority.

Brasier and Barnes were pretty good last year, but beyond that the pen is just journeymen. Starting staff is fucking nails though

Kimbrel was pretty sketchy last year, he really had to reach deep to pull shit out, he did mostly manage to do it but it didn't seem easy or natural at all. It's really a question of which way he goes from here, I'm sure the team has doubts. I like Brasier to close if it comes to that, he just seems to have that attitude and he definitely has the pitches imo.

Fuck Kimbrel. For the sake of Ice’s health we can’t bring him back.
    Decisions Decisions

Ok...then who closes?

I’ll do it.

OFFICIAL 2018 MLB THREAD

I only top out around 65 with the heater, but my slider IS pretty bad.

Mariano elected unanimously to the HOF.

j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi