Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A few questions

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Guess what i should have said instead, is that it's not a get out of jail free card.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Memory is such a fickle bitch.

Advisory: 406-587-6981 (has been since forever)

Contact - Bridger Bowl Ski Area
    General Information. (406) 587-2111 · Snow Phone (406) 586-2389 ·

No one here has said that L1 is the be all/end all. It is just a step down the road as well as a foundation to build knowledge upon. Not everyone has mentors available.
    Haha! After I posted it I realized what I did. Still have the old sticker with the number on an old fridge.

Ok so I can remember 2 numbers! (I'm blaming it on turning 38 not errr other things)

Ha, saw your post and thought "Woah, that's the Bridger Bowl Snow Phone..." ... haven't dialed it in years but the number is burned into the brain from the Time Before Internet!

For shits, I dialed it just now. Pleasantly surprised to see it was still stored in my contacts. And Matt's voice is on the recording... 😁

I'm late to the party but here are some links primarily about heuristic traps and human factors that he ought to consider reading/watching, even after his trip if he hasn't seen them before. The first one's even in Cooke City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Pye9f602s

Interactive NYT article http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012...t=tunnel-creek
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

OP:

1. All or most have a class, and we adjust our choices based on the skill of the group.

2&3. Yes beacon shovel probe

4. I don't always dig a pit or multiple... better question is when I dig what do I hope to learn? Usually I have a specific question or concern. And how much reliance am I placing on it? Not a ton... it is just one more observation tool.

5. I'm not going to say you have to have a rec level 1 to go out and be safe. But it sure helps promote knowledge of avalanches and decision making, rescue capability and good group management/travel habits! If you don't, then there is a lot of self education that needs to happen along with having good group habits and dynamics that are hard to get without the foundational knowledge in a L1 an experienced person leading the group who had good mentors themselves (and usually an avalanche rec level 1 at least). The BC world is full of shitty mentors.

Here are some good resources for your son:

Here is a good avalanche awareness video:

Here is a good video on the consequences:

Good books:
    Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain
    Snow Sense

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Good point. Here in CO AIARE does more or less have the market cornered on good level 1s so I'm kinda in the habit of saying that
    What?

First, AIARE is just another brand name with a proprietary curriculum that meets the AAA educational guidelines. I know of great AIARE classes and I know of some crappy ones.

I know of great courses that are not AIARE:

Colorado Mountain College - Breckenridge

National Avalanche School

There are probably others, but I don't pay that close of attention.
    Last edited by Summit; 02-21-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Great additions. Our group was in the hellroaring hut (wall tent) a week or two after that incident. We had been going for around 5 yrs or so back when Tim ran it and had skied that slope numerous times. It was sobering to listen to him talk about it. That area also sees quite a bit of sled burials just outside of the ESA.

Sorry for the drift.

Should also look through the "what to carry thread".

Avi isn't the only way to die. There's always stuff like the experienced group getting turned around in a whiteout, and going down the wrong side and dying from exposure. Captain Crunch compass could have saved the day.

^ and wolves. They'll getcha.

Need the Captain Crunch spork for wolf protection.

Thanks for all the great links and info, people.
    I will pass it all on in due time. He's busy with school, and really doesn't go in the bc that often. When he does, he goes with this group of friends who have varying degrees of experience. Not too much I can do being nearly 600 mi. away, except give him my thoughts, advice, and info gleaned from you all. It's not really his priority right now, as he's in school and busy, etc. So, I have to hope and pray that his friends know what they're doing, and encourage him to look at these videos, read, etc. himself. Trust that it all goes well.
    Will be working on my own knowledge base and skills.
    Thanks!

Good thing is if he did get into Snow and BC and snow-nerd stuff he might decide on a degree in Snow Science.

Most of us make slightly more than a McDonalds Manager.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

OP. Been in your shoes. What you can do for your son and yourself is to get Tempers book and follow and discuss the weather and avy reports from the area he skis. After his homework of course. I was going to say when you first posted that as I recall, Temper stated that the odds of dieing in an avy your first time out is almost zero.
    Last edited by wooley12; 03-02-2018 at 12:03 AM.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.