Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    oh yeah right ski guide ... bathing optional !

Agreed! those guys are usually too busy doing it !
    I think he's a hippy carpenter or contractor and a daddy. Not a guide.

I am going to ignore all the above blather and respond to the guy's question.

I used a pair of Voile Ultra Vectors last spring in the Sierra and the Tetons, liked them so much that I bought a pair for this year. Reasonable quiver of one, honestly, but quick and stable for the steeps and the weird chunder. They replaced a pair of BD Helio 105s that were way too squirrely for anything except ankle-deep pow.

Resume the squabbling.

Sometimes the difference between a good alpine ski tour and ski mountaineering is the quality of the bud. Totally.

Volkl Snow Ranger Lite
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Hah! Some good stuff in here and some...........
    I had originally titled the thread: the best light stiff mid 90s waisted minimal sidecut ski but it was too long so I shortened it to ski mtneering. There's not much my gpo's (my current quiver of one) don't do well but getting a platform to bite on a steep firm skinner with exposure is a lot tougher then it needs to be on em. 95mm is as slim as I'd dare in the all too common Sierra funk below the dank. Thanx for the quality responses buried amongst the static

Andreas Fransson skied the South Face of Denali on OG Nordica Enforcers:

Kilian Jornet skied up and down Denali in less than 12 hours on some much lighter kit.

Right tool, right job.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Hah! Some good stuff in here and some...........
    I had originally titled the thread: the best light stiff mid 90s waisted minimal sidecut ski but it was too long so I shortened it to ski mtneering. There's not much my gpo's (my current quiver of one) don't do well but getting a platform to bite on a steep firm skinner with exposure is a lot tougher then it needs to be on em. 95mm is as slim as I'd dare in the all too common Sierra funk below the dank. Thanx for the quality responses buried amongst the static
    Well, you doing any technical moves or just jagging us off?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Andreas Fransson skied the South Face of Denali on OG Nordica Enforcers:

Kilian Jornet skied up and down Denali in less than 12 hours on some much lighter kit.

Right tool, right job.
    Kit and Rob Desalaurius and Johnny Chin skied the N Face of Everest 2006... husband and wife on Volkl Gotamas and Chin on BD Havocs (the old shitty green ones... good mountaineering ski though I had a pair)

I happen to have a pair of K2 Shuksans that I'm willing to part with. Good ski for the right person who needs such a ski. Still some life in it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    yup, the K2 Shuksan was overlooked.

195 superbro is the ski you’re looking for.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Serious question: Do folks feel the difference between a light ski and a very light ski is all that important?

I'll be honest, unless I'm carrying them in my hand, I don't really notice the difference between my ZeroG 95s (5 lb 10 oz) and my Synapse 109s (7 lb), even on long days. I can certainly see the advantage to shorter skis for "ski mountaineering," but I'd prioritize ski performance over weight in my own decision-making process. If the ski is under 7.5 lbs and has lighter tech bindings, that's light enough for me. YMMV.

I barely notice an extra pound per ski while skinning. IME, weight, especially swing weight, is most noticeable when skis are strapped on my pack while maneuvering steep terrain on foot (or hands and feet). Shorter length also helps while skis are strapped on pack because shorter length = lower swing weight.

Kit and Rob Desalaurius and Johnny Chin skied the N Face of Everest 2006... husband and wife on Volkl Gotamas and Chin on BD Havocs
    Did they get them for free? Most guides I know ski on free gear, and that decides what they ski on.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Dave Watson skied the N ridge of Everest and K2 on Karhu Guides, 78mm waist, fishscale base, noodly (now known as Mashus Annum). He was sponsored by Karhu/K2 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Did they get them for free? Most guides I know ski on free gear, and that decides what they ski on.
    I dunnot... but if it was me, I'd sure want the Gots for the descent but I'd much rather have carried the Havocs up!

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    195 superbro is the ski you’re looking for.
    i was under the impression that non of the bros models were light

Black Crows Navis Freebird. 102 underfoot, si outside of your prescribed range but it is otherwise exactly what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Serious question: Do folks feel the difference between a light ski and a very light ski is all that important?

I'll be honest, unless I'm carrying them in my hand, I don't really notice the difference between my ZeroG 95s (5 lb 10 oz) and my Synapse 109s (7 lb), even on long days. I can certainly see the advantage to shorter skis for "ski mountaineering," but I'd prioritize ski performance over weight in my own decision-making process. If the ski is under 7.5 lbs and has lighter tech bindings, that's light enough for me. YMMV.
    I guess I notice the weight difference between the bmt94s I’m on now and the zero g 95s I used to ski, but I don’t notice the extra energy I’m spending. And I’m way more comfortable with the volkls since the tips aren’t constantly getting knocked off course.

I’ve never skied the down lowdown 102 or its previous iterations but it sounds like what OP is looking for. 3100g per pair and 41m radius. Seems like the light weight versions pop up on gear swap a bunch when people are disappointed by them not being damp or stable enough.

The other spring touring/mountaineering skis that often are recommended in tech talk (zg95, bmt94, hannibal, mtn explore) all have radii around 20.

I won't be sarcastic as I was in my first post. For me, ski weight has never been the thing. Ski performance has. I hike up so I can have a blast on the down. A bit heavier ski deflects less in variable snow, and fits me and my style better. I'm not out there to be the fastest guy up. I'm out there to have the most fun on the way down.

Only on long days. It's more cumulative than a difference in sensation while moving. Feel it more if skis are on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I won't be sarcastic as I was in my first post. For me, ski weight has never been the thing. Ski performance has. I hike up so I can have a blast on the down. A bit heavier ski deflects less in variable snow, and fits me and my style better. I'm not out there to be the fastest guy up. I'm out there to have the most fun on the way down.
    Not always so black and white. I've toured with people of your mindset, and sometimes at the end of a long day their legs are so fried from hauling their heavy gear around that they don't have the strength to fully take advantage of all that downhill performance that their heavy gear supposedly gives them. Not that they can't ski anymore, but you can see some laziness and shortcuts in technique, turns not quite finished, speeds a little higher than prudent. Like tired flatland gapers at the resort at 2:30pm. A little less control. Riskier.

that's before you get into how that fatigue would come into play in the event of accidents/rescue/hauling ass to escape rapidly deteriorating conditions, etc. At the trailheads I frequent there are lots of sweaty mouth breathing tired spent sloppy skiers returning from a long (or short) day. You gotta have something left in reserve at the end of the day, just in case.

of course, if your idea of backcountry involves sliding out of the resort sidecountry gates and being within a cellphone call of ski patrol, good for you.

Only on long days. It's more cumulative than a difference in sensation while moving. Feel it more if skis are on my back.
    yeah fatigue creeps up on you. One step doesn't hurt, 20000 steps starts to add up.

Personally, I would rather work out/lift weights to get strong than ski on a shitty ski in shitty conditions

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Personally, I would rather work out/lift weights to get strong than ski on a shitty ski in shitty conditions
    Counter argument to this is "I'd rather get good enough at skiing that I don't need to carry heavy-ass gear to cover up deficiencies in my technique."

That said, I use my heavier touring skis more than the light ones. But if I'm looking at an 8 mile approach and a bunch of time with skis on my pack, give me the toothpicks.

I don't feel it but if I do timed runs comparing a pretty light full dynafit setup to a heavy setup that can tour

The light setup is faster
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Counter argument to this is "I'd rather get good enough at skiing that I don't need to carry heavy-ass gear to cover up deficiencies in my technique."

That said, I use my heavier touring skis more than the light ones. But if I'm looking at an 8 mile approach and a bunch of time with skis on my pack, give me the toothpicks.
    You're right, but technique improvement comes a lot slower than fitness improvement, at least for me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app