Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Anyone with beta on Ademello ski tours ?? From the ski area at Tonale Pass to the huts/refugios in the Ademello glacier vicinity for a multiday ski touring adventure ?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I saw that one when it came out. I would love to ski it like that. My step father skied on the last day of the season a few years back in similar conditions when he was one of the 1st few people to make the traverse across from the Pordoi tram. He's in his 70's and living with cancer (but skis 50-80 days a year). Said it was the best run of his life- better even than his heli-skiing days. He wasn't sure his body was up for the traverse, plus the snow and weather was perfect.

For folks who want to do some touring that is further from lifts, check out the Puez-Odel Naturepark north of Selva and Corvara. My favorite way to ski this is area is as a South to North traverse. I always see people on the South side, but once you drop over to the North you're generally on your own. You can start out high from Rifugio Edelweiss in Colfosco, which lets you access the East side of the park, or Col Reisser to access the West side. This little trailhead is great if you want/need to start before the lifts are spinning. Then you can climb up firm south facing slopes in the morning and then ski good snow on the North side down to Longiaru. Take a taxi back to Pedraces (or Corvara to save some time) where you can reconnect to the lift system.

I haven't skied in this area with a guide but I want to. There are many variations that seem to be snow pack dependent, or might require a rope depending on the year. But there are plenty of obvious lines as well, and ways to add a lap if you're feeling strong. The west side is generally mellower, while the east side has several rowdier ski mountaineering routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    I just ordered the Freeriding in the Dolomites book.
    That's written by the guide our group just hired for a Feb trip.

Lodging is sort of a hassle, there are a ton of little hotels that you need to contact to get their availability. I was going website-by-website for a while (finding websites via google maps).

Then I found this site, which will auto-fill your dates and info for requests for small hotels/B&Bs fitting your criteria: https://www.yesalps.com/it/

Worth a shot.

I just found this 3D mapping site. Works much better than the 3D maps on the Dolomiti site.

https://fatmap.com/around/Arabba/Ita...8888,satellite

I think it will go to Arabba with this link, but, good worldwide, I'm pretty sure.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I saw that one when it came out. I would love to ski it like that. My step father skied on the last day of the season a few years back in similar conditions when he was one of the 1st few people to make the traverse across from the Pordoi tram. He's in his 70's and living with cancer (but skis 50-80 days a year). Said it was the best run of his life- better even than his heli-skiing days. He wasn't sure his body was up for the traverse, plus the snow and weather was perfect.

What is this traverse? Skinning? Looking at maps, that looks like a really cool place up there, but, can't figure it out.

That dude who posted the YouTube of that ascent of Val Mezdi has a channel that is basically a marketing tool for his hotel in Badia. He has a bunch of other videos that are basically a how to ski the area around Corvara and Badia for his customers. Great personality, really fit and strong skiing wife, and two little ripping kids. Charming. You get a good idea of what a lot of the skiing is like on that side of the Sella Ronda.

What is this traverse? Skinning? Looking at maps, that looks like a really cool place up there, but, can't figure it out.
    Most people just shoulder skis to walk the ups and ski the downs. It's more pleasant to skin but not much faster (unless you're the first one there on a pow day).

The traverse starts at the Pordoi tram and follows close to the summer trails to Rifugio Boe (closed in winter) where the descent begins:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 9.25.46 AM.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	877.0 KB 
ID:	392205

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 9.32.09 AM.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	275.6 KB 
ID:	392206

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Cool vid

I came in from the Corvara side up to Piz Boe and down the line seen at 7:43

Thanks.

I posted this in the Ikon Pass thread since someone asked there, but I'm posting it here too in case anyone else is looking and could use notes in a single place instead of having to read all the messages in this thread:

Here's my Dolomites notes. It's basically cut/paste from a few sources on the internet, the majority of them are from this forum.

Sorry if anyone sees their comment in there without attribution, this is wasn't meant for publication, just as a clipboard for ourselves, we'll use these comments to help us pick a spot to stay (now we'll check flight prices and driving distances but most likely we'll fly intro Treviso and drive) and put together ideas of itineraries.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...17#post5393117

This place is small, but super nice and right next to the Costabella chair, so ski in/out for Selva/Wolkenstein : http://www.la-tambra.com/en/index.html

Best train access to Val Gardena is from Ponte Gardena Laion/Waidbruck-Lajen.

Ask the folks at Garni La Tambra to hook you up with Bruno for taxi: Taxi Bruno Brunialti from Selva. He is inexpensive. Number: +393807101506 .
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I stayed at the Hotel Alpen Rose in Arabba and it was quite affordable when booked last minute, with amazing food. Ski in/out.

There was no snow off piste when I was there but piste conditions were great. Arabba has some really nice long, well pitched groomers that were empty first thing in the morning. It’s also pretty close to Marmolada so you can get there before the crowds. I rented some Stockli GS skis for maybe $20/day which was definitely the right call for the conditions.

The Sella Ronda isn’t anything super special but it’s still cool to see so many different places in one day, and it really doesn’t take more than 3-4 hours, so plenty of time to ski more interesting runs along the way. The Val Gardena downhill course was awesome and lunch on the sunny South-facing slopes of Seceda was great.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Thanks.
    My pleasure.

On reflection I skinned up better terrain coming from the Corvara side than I skied in Val Mesdi, but the views were better in Val Mesdi.

Also there are a number of really long, straight couloirs dropping in to Val Mesdi from skiers right.

Loved this area and Marmolada and Cortina but my favourite is San Martino di Castrozza

Big mountain skiing accessed by cable car one side of the valley, resort skiing with trees for low vis, snowy days on the other.

Great snow record; cool town; cheap; no queues when I was there

Storm Day in resort

Sunny Day in resort

Sunny day off the cable car

Very underrated area is the Ortler Alps in South Tyrol (Sud Tirol)

Amazing lift accessed terrain at Solda and Trafoi

If anyone wants my specific hotel notes etc. (similar to fofo's notes) PM me - I'd share publicly but it includes things like my group's flight info etc.

Mostly focused on Corvara.

Most people just shoulder skis to walk the ups and ski the downs. It's more pleasant to skin but not much faster (unless you're the first one there on a pow day).
    I'd bring skins. You'll be happier in the switchbacks and you won't screw up the track. The nice thing about all the guided traffic is there is often a nice guide-set track. IMO, stay to the left at the caldera. Safer and not that much more time added. The whole approach is a nine-iron anyways.
    For folks who want to do some touring that is further from lifts, check out the Puez-Odel Naturepark north of Selva and Corvara. My favorite way to ski this is area is as a South to North traverse. I always see people on the South side, but once you drop over to the North you're generally on your own. You can start out high from Rifugio Edelweiss in Colfosco,
    The Stella Alpina lift will start you a few hundred feet higher than the Edelweiss if you wait until it opens. Take a right off of the lift. Also, the buses will usually start running before the lifts, so you can stage yourself in Colfosco before the lifts open in Corvara.
    Yes, big difference in traffic between the north and south sides.

This guy makes good video. I gotta get a drone.

I'm dialed to be in the Dolomites starting Jan. 22. Flying into Venice from BOS through Amsterdam. Taxi to Arabba. Hotel with 1/2 board so very little time out on the town. Lunches in on-mountain restaurants. Outside if weather permits. A week of skiing in the Dolomites and back to Venice and back to Boston through Amsterdam again. Triple jabbed with Moderna. I've spent a lot of time in the Dolomites. Lots of off piste and lots of resort skiing so I know my way around. How worried should I be that this is a dumb idea re: Covid risk?

I'd be more worried about it all shutting down.

A definite possibility. I can pull the plug at the last minute if thing do indeed get shut down.

Nice drone work. Follow this guy's channel.

https://youtu.be/xa22SI07guA

We just finished up a trip to Corvara. Snow was shit (mostly old windboard), but the views, food, and wine were all solid. It was mostly a scouting and on-piste trip, but we got a few decent lines. We'll be back when the snow is better.

Name:	PXL_20220206_124010081.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	405332

Not much snow, he got bored, so he took the bike out.

Not much snow. Looking thin.

Snowmass used to have a speed skiing course on Slot. Charley Tarver took a 100 mph dive on his bike.

Now he’s just referred to a Crazy Charley.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Snowmass used to have a speed skiing course on Slot. Charley Tarver took a 100 mph dive on his bike.

Now he’s just referred to a Crazy Charley.
    remember when someone dressed up as him for halloween at Eric's .. carrying a tiny pink trike and caked a bunch of powder under his nose.

same year someone went as 'running woman' I think
    north bound horse.

Reviving this incredible thread with a question... What town is easiest access to Sass Pordoi? Arabba? Canazei? Even in fatmap with the elevation overlay on, it's hard to figure out which lifts and gondies you'd need to link. Maybe they're similarly close...
    Corvara looks like a great town, but looks like a 25 ish min bus to wrap around to Arraba to start up that valley. Am i looking at this right?
    Thx!