Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Arraba is very centrally located for some great off piste skiing, but.is is very small, like a lot of the area towns. It has one busy apres bar and a couple quiet ones. It is easy to get to a place like Selva Val Gardena, much larger, more choices, and and a guide office. It's a better bet if you are rolling solo and calling audible. I was with a guide so basing in Arraba worked well.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Nice.

I'm trying to avoid a car, which is obviously a major expense. But, if you tell me that I can stay in a hotel and eat five star for about 100 a day, with a shuttle, that is cool. I'll figure it out from there.

That's Arraba in the third pic, right?
    Yep, thats Arraba!

The car isn't too bad. I booked 2 weeks out and got it for $400 for a week. Pretty good chance if you booked way out you could get it for 1/2 that price.

Edit- $480 all in.
    Last edited by Kevo; 02-20-2018 at 06:19 PM.

If it's your first time renting in Italy, be prepared for a higher fee than that. Did you add on stuff? Second driver? GPS? Then, there's a 21% VAT tax on the bottom line after all that. It adds up. Then there's that pricey EURO gas.

If it's your first time renting in Italy, be prepared for a higher fee than that. Did you add on stuff? Second driver? GPS? Then, there's a 21% VAT tax on the bottom line after all that. It adds up. Then there's that pricey EURO gas.
    More like $479 USD all in.
    Name:  Screenshot_20180221-011554.png
Views: 544
Size:  58.4 KB

Still not terrible splitting the car with a friend.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Edit- it's a Hertz rental with a AAA discount code applied.

Nice.

We rented a Fiat Qubo Trekking last year in April: 13 days out of Milan cost us NZ$ 220!!!
    Italy rocks.

Skied the Mesdi today. Was awesome. Blown away by the access and the terrain here.

Crowds are pretty mellow right now too.

Name:  IMG_20180221_205232_196.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  83.0 KB

That's nice, but how's that five star dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Skied the Mesdi today. Was awesome. Blown away by the access and the terrain here.

Crowds are pretty mellow right now too.
    Thanks for posting.
    Did you go it alone in Val Mesdi or hire a guide?
    I imagine the crowds will continue to diminish as March approaches. Have a great last few days and please post more.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Thanks for posting.
    Did you go it alone in Val Mesdi or hire a guide?
    I imagine the crowds will continue to diminish as March approaches. Have a great last few days and please post more.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No guide, just a guide book.
    That's nice, but how's that five star dinner?
    So good. I've eaten at some of the more acclaimed restaurants in NY and San Fran for work dinners. This is some of the best food I've had anywhere and it's 1/3 or 1/4 the price or what it would be in the US.

Skied pow at San Pellegrino all day today. So damn good!

Why does no one in italy ski powder?!

The two of us systematically tracked out an entire ridge similar to prima cornice at Vail over the course of 6 hours. We went from chute to chute to chute. No one else skied the area all day. It was incredible. Will post some pics and vids when I get a chance.

Off to another great dinner. I'm beside myself.

Were you skiing the Freeride Park off Col Margherita?

The two of us systematically tracked out an entire ridge similar to prima cornice at Vail over the course of 6 hours. We went from chute to chute to chute. No one else skied the area all day. It was incredible. Will post some pics and vids when I get a chance.

Take the snowmobile/sleigh ride to Rifugio Fuciade for dinner if you can get a reservation.

I'll be in Selva the last week of March. I'll be busy with friends and family, but would love to get out on a tour with anyone who happens to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Take the snowmobile/sleigh ride to Rifugio Fuciade for dinner if you can get a reservation.

I'll be in Selva the last week of March. I'll be busy with friends and family, but would love to get out on a tour with anyone who happens to be around.
    Going to miss you by a few weeks. I'll be poking around Wolkenstein 2nd and 3rd week of March.

Kevo - glad you're enjoying your time there. It's a special place.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    I'll be poking around Wolkenstein 2nd and 3rd week of March.
    I'll be in Corvara March 12-23. Let me know if you want to tour or hit specific couloirs.

Because you are skiing the equivalent of out of bounds terrain when you do that in most of Europe. Not that there is anythi h wrong with that, you just need to know you are in potentially uncontrolled terrain, and an injury could cost you a few thousand dollars rescue. Europeans just ski between the 'boos like they are trained to.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Jezuz.

You're doing all this from a book?

Well, yes, Bunny, that and his brain.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

That's witty.

This book- Ski Touring and Snowshoeing in the Dolomites: 50 Winter Routes https://www.amazon.com/dp/185284745X?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Along with some local knowledge from the family that runs the hotel and a bit of adventuring to places that look good from the lifts/pistes.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Europeans just ski between the 'boos like they are trained to.
    Yeah. We are scared of the OB, unlike the fearless backcountry skiing machines called Americans who dig a pit every 100m although you have a decent avi report in Europe and can apply the reduction method on 99% of all ski days and slopes.

The same heroes who ski meadowskipping lines when they slay the OB gnar at Thompson pass in AK.

That's also the reason why people drop in the couloir cosmique at avi level 4 and 1m of fresh on the first day after a storm or Engelberg is tracked after 3 hours and you can't freeride any big resort anymore.

And that's why Europeans always speak of skiing Powder when they cross tracks every 10m because we learned that from those adventureous US inbounds travellers.

We would rather like to spend 500-700 bucks a day for a guide when the whole Alps are mapped in neat 1:25.000 ski maps and books, obviously. But not everyone of us is a dentist who only has two weeks of holidays and can afford a guide for skiing of the lifts. That's why we ski between the boos all the time.

But yeah when I compare the stuff here to what's being sold as a "guidebook" in the US your question actually makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Yeah. We are scared of the OB, unlike the fearless backcountry skiing machines called Americans who dig a pit every 100m although you have a decent avi report in Europe and can apply the reduction method on 99% of all ski days and slopes.

The same heroes who ski meadowskipping lines when they slay the OB gnar at Thompson pass in AK.

That's also the reason why people drop in the couloir cosmique at avi level 4 and 1m of fresh on the first day after a storm or Engelberg is tracked after 3 hours and you can't freeride any big resort anymore.

And that's why Europeans always speak of skiing Powder when they cross tracks every 10m because we learned that from those adventureous US inbounds travellers.

We would rather like to spend 500-700 bucks a day for a guide when the whole Alps are mapped in neat 1:25.000 ski maps and books, obviously. But not everyone of us is a dentist who only has two weeks of holidays and can afford a guide for skiing of the lifts. That's why we ski between the boos all the time.

But yeah when I compare the stuff here to what's being sold as a "guidebook" in the US your question actually makes sense.

Lighten up, Francis.
    For this non-dentist, could you recommend a 1:25,000 map for the Dolomites other than the Tabacco #7? Something with more focus? Something along the lines of this: https://map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&...stamp=18641231,,,

It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

But they cover only a part. I haven't skied much in italy but there should be Italian equivalents.

And I didn't want to come across as a douche but I was slightly surprised when I saw that people actually think people in Europe don't go off Piste.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.