Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best New AT boots by Foot Shape?

Reading uncorrelated on snow reviews can only go so far and most of us aren't fortunate enough to ski the boots before buying. So we have to buy in store based on foot shape, volume, etc.

I'm out for the season and am looking ahead. Would like to buy boots now on discount. I ski a dalby krypton inbounds. Narrow foot, medium arch, pronates into A frame commonly

The list as I see it today regarding tour first, everything else second:

Salomon MTN Lab
    Salomon S/Lab
    Dalbello Lupo
    Atomic Hawx Ultra
    Atomic Backland
    Scarpa Maestrale
    Dynafit ________
    ???

What did I miss?
    I'm trying to before before summer ends. Will be mounted on 188 CT 4s with the new SLab shifts

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by margotron; 02-13-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Red ones

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Title says it all. Reading uncorrelated on snow reviews can only go so far and most of us aren't fortunate enough to ski the boots before buying. So we have to buy in store based on foot shape, volume, etc.

I'm out for the season and am looking ahead. Would like to buy boots now on discount. I ski a dalby krypton inbounds. Narrow foot, medium arch, pronates into A frame commonly

Salomon MTN Lab
    Salomon S/Lab
    Dalbello Lupo
    Atomic Hawx Ultra
    Atomic Backland
    Scarpa Maestrale
    Dynafit ________
    ???

What did I miss?
    I'm trying to before before summer ends. Will be mounted on 188 CT 4s with the new SLab shifts
    If you are prioritizing touring (i.e. going uphill) you are on the wrong track with the Candide 4.0/Shift combination (you'll soon find it too heavy/wide for more than a couple thousand feet of vert) but if that's your ski setup, then stick with the heavier of the two options you mentioned for respective brands, there is a huge difference between the power of the S/Lab MTN and the S/Lab X-Alp or between the Hawx Ultra XTD and the Backland Carbon. If a Krypton fits you, the Maestrale/Maestrale RS and Hoji Pro will feel like boats. S/Lab MTN/MTN Lab is only narrowish in the toe, the midfoot/ankle/heel are quite roomy. Lupo Ti/Team will fit almost like you current boots (won't feel as snug due to softer liners) but they are not all that light and the walk mode is mediocre.

I can't comment on very many of the boots you listed, but I do currently ski the Krypton Pro inbounds and have a narrow forefoot, medium/high arch, medium instep. I have been on MTN Labs since the latter part of last season, and while they don't tour as well as a TLT6 (or, I suspect, X-Alp or Backland), they tour pretty damn well for a boot that I would be happy skiing inbounds as well.

I have 25.5 Kryptons and 26.5 MTN Labs. The stock liner/footbed situation definitely does not work for me in the MTN Labs--there is way too much volume in the heel/ankle area--but Intuition Pro Tour MVs (in size 27) and green Superfeet (which also fit in 27.5 TLT6) work really well. I added modified ankle-wrap pads for heel retention. Would like to do the instep buckle mod on the MTN Lab but don't have the parts, and the heel retention with the ankle wrap pad is pretty good.

Another thing to note: if you want to use these with the new S/Lab Shift binding, you can forget boots with compact soles like the S/Lab X-Alp, TLT5/6/7, Backland, etc.

One more comparison: I tried the (now old) version of the Maestrale RS about a year ago, and the forefoot was too wide/low instep for me. I.e. if I sized it properly for length (25.5/26) it would crush my instep, and at one size up my feet were swimming.

The fit of the X-Alps with the performance of the MTN Labs would address all my (high performance, do it all, low volume heel, instep, and chicken legs, spacious toes) needs. Until then I’ll keep thinking of ways to upgrade the performance of my X-Alps - so far just custom foot-beds, Intuition Pro tour liners, and booster straps, but they’ll be Frankenboots before long.

Best at what?

Touring? Skiing? Not being complete shit at either?

For skiing big skis with a shift binding, I wouldn’t want anything more touring focused than an MTN s/Lab, or potentially the new ZeroG Pro tour.
    If you’re after a boot that really skis well it’s tough to beat the Lange XT Free (comes in a 140 shell next season) or Lupo Factory; neither are light and I wouldn’t want to do more than a couple thousand feet with either. Of course, I wouldn’t want to tour more than a couple thousand feet with your set up either.

Vulcan with a powerwrap liner works for me.

You won't find the Lange XT 140 LV Freetour or the Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro "on discount" before the end of summer, they aren't even generally available to buy yet.

Title says it all. Reading uncorrelated on snow reviews can only go so far and most of us aren't fortunate enough to ski the boots before buying. So we have to buy in store based on foot shape, volume, etc.

Salomon MTN Lab
    Salomon S/Lab
    Dalbello Lupo
    Atomic Hawx Ultra
    Atomic Backland
    Scarpa Maestrale
    Dynafit ________
    ???

What did I miss?

From my experience, and from talking to numerous shops (including shops that sell Salomon), the Mtn Lab rarely fits well and skis well without putting a considerable amount of money into modifying the boots. New liners, punching, rearranging the buckles to prevent heel lift, etc. Once all that has been done they ski alright, but IMO it's not worth the effort. The bootfitters I have talked to say these boots are dislike by most of their customers.

So, unless you have a large heel, a massive ankle, low volume midfoot and a 98mm last forefoot you will likely dislike the boot. If you are a freak of nature and fit the description then go for it I think you will like them. The tour mode is good minus having to unbuckle the top buckle to get forward ROM, and once the boots fit well and have a stiffer liner the boots ski quite well.
    I like huge dumps.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengarbageman View Post
    From my experience, and from talking to numerous shops (including shops that sell Salomon), the Mtn Lab rarely fits well and skis well without putting a considerable amount of money into modifying the boots.
    I got the MTN Lab to fit my 104mm forefoot and average heel fairly easily and skied it for two seasons. I thought it skied and fit great.

Best New AT boots by Foot Shape?

Oy. Really making me reconsider the whole plan of attack.

My CT 4s clock in at 2000g on the dot. Too heavy? Next season will be my first in the back country.

The ZeroG and Lupo sound interesting. Lupo certainly is heavy. Bummer that the MTN Lab is such a finicky fit.

I feel like the Lange XT is too much of a concession to slack country skiing. But maybe combining shift and CT is already too slack.

I've entered the land of tradeoffs haven't I?

Quote Originally Posted by goldengarbageman View Post
    From my experience, and from talking to numerous shops (including shops that sell Salomon), the Mtn Lab rarely fits well and skis well without putting a considerable amount of money into modifying the boots. New liners, punching, rearranging the buckles to prevent heel lift, etc. Once all that has been done they ski alright, but IMO it's not worth the effort. The bootfitters I have talked to say these boots are dislike by most of their customers.
    I help a lot of people with this boot, which says something, but I would say most are happy with it with just some minimal work. Making the forefoot wider is super easy on this boot.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Yes. Welcome.
    Last edited by smooth operator; 02-13-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I can't comment on very many of the boots you listed, but I do currently ski the Krypton Pro inbounds and have a narrow forefoot, medium/high arch, medium instep. I have been on MTN Labs since the latter part of last season, and while they don't tour as well as a TLT6 (or, I suspect, X-Alp or Backland), they tour pretty damn well for a boot that I would be happy skiing inbounds as well.

I have 25.5 Kryptons and 26.5 MTN Labs. The stock liner/footbed situation definitely does not work for me in the MTN Labs--there is way too much volume in the heel/ankle area--but Intuition Pro Tour MVs (in size 27) and green Superfeet (which also fit in 27.5 TLT6) work really well. I added modified ankle-wrap pads for heel retention. Would like to do the instep buckle mod on the MTN Lab but don't have the parts, and the heel retention with the ankle wrap pad is pretty good.

Another thing to note: if you want to use these with the new S/Lab Shift binding, you can forget boots with compact soles like the S/Lab X-Alp, TLT5/6/7, Backland, etc.

One more comparison: I tried the (now old) version of the Maestrale RS about a year ago, and the forefoot was too wide/low instep for me. I.e. if I sized it properly for length (25.5/26) it would crush my instep, and at one size up my feet were swimming.
    i have a narrow forefoot, narrow heel, medium arch and high instep. pretty close! Can you talk more about these modified ankle wrap pads? Got pics?

I had not been thinking about an ultralight setup, so the compact heel issue isnt such an issue for me but thanks for the tip +1. bummer about the maestrale. Good boot looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Yes. Welcome.
    ha. thanks. the obvious alternative to the shift is the tecton. tectons weigh in at 1400sh? and the shift at 1700. seems like peanuts to to me, 300g or 10 ounces or little over half a pound or 1/4 pound per foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I help a lot of people with this boot, which says something, but I would say most are happy with it with just some minimal work. Making the forefoot wider is super easy on this boot.
    Forefoot width not usually my problem. It is getting heel lock with my narrow heel and moderately high instep. Everyone has their issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I've found it requires little to no work for my rather average foot.

Sure, the heel hold could be better, but that's the only negative I've found so far.

What about the Hawx XTD? Pretty sure it's got a moderately high instep, good heel hold, and moderate forefoot. Probably a little wide in the forefoot but if the rest fits that's probably not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    What about the Hawx XTD? Pretty sure it's got a moderately high instep, good heel hold, and moderate forefoot. Probably a little wide in the forefoot but if the rest fits that's probably not an issue.
    All true. I replaced the MTN Labs with the Hawx Ultra 130 XTD and have ~ 25 days on them. It's light and powerful and plenty of boot to drive the 4.0 - downside is "effective" range of cuff motion is not quite as good as the MTN Lab and it's hard to get in and out of the boot. It's not that narrow in the forefoot (98mm) but no other boots on OP's list are really much better.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    All true. I replaced the MTN Labs with the Hawx Ultra 130 XTD and have ~ 25 days on them. It's light and powerful and plenty of boot to drive the 4.0 - downside is "effective" range of cuff motion is not quite as good as the MTN Lab and it's hard to get in and out of the boot. It's not that narrow in the forefoot (98mm) but no other boots on OP's list are really much better.
    Could you compare the hawx fit to a Vulcan ? Vulcan fits me perfectly out of the box (with a pwr wrap) this ... could this be my next boot ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Could you compare the hawx fit to a Vulcan ? Vulcan fits me perfectly out of the box (with a pwr wrap) this ... could this be my next boot ??
    I can compare the Hawx to the Dynafit One, which I think had the exact same fit as the Vulcan, just softer flex.

The Hawx is much tighter in the heel pocket, narrower toe, and lower volume overall. I had to put a thick boot board under the liner in my Ones, and switched liners to an Intuition tongue liner. It still wasn't a great fit for me, still had some heel lift. Put up with it for awhile because I liked that one buckle ski/ walk mode switch.

Hawx fits like it's made for me. Using the stock thin 130 liner, which isn't a great liner, but better than any Dynafit or Palau one I've had. Haven't had them out in any really cold days yet so don't know how warm they really are.

No modifications to the shell on either boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I got the skinny heel & ankle with a wide fore/foot high arch scenario going on

so I wonder if the Hawx could work for me if the toe area was molded

since as I understand the shell can be molded ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

i have a narrow forefoot, narrow heel, medium arch and high instep. pretty close! Can you talk more about these modified ankle wrap pads? Got pics?

I had not been thinking about an ultralight setup, so the compact heel issue isnt such an issue for me but thanks for the tip +1. bummer about the maestrale. Good boot looks like.
    Oops, thought I had linked those earlier: http://www.tognar.com/modified-ankle-wrap-pads-pair/
    See the second photo on the site for where these go. They are a dense foam pad with an adhesive back, so you can stick them to the outside of the liner. Pretty easy to trim with scissors if you need to. There are all sorts of foam pads like these (browse around on Tognar), but these are the only ones I've ever felt I needed.

Note that I still had to get a new liner (Pro Tour MV) to take up volume in the boot. It's possible you could get a good heel fit just by heat molding a really thick liner, like an Intuition Dreamliner HV, but I will defer to actual competent bootfitters in this thread.

Oy. Really making me reconsider the whole plan of attack.

My CT 4s clock in at 2000g on the dot. Too heavy? Next season will be my first in the back country.

The ZeroG and Lupo sound interesting. Lupo certainly is heavy. Bummer that the MTN Lab is such a finicky fit.

I feel like the Lange XT is too much of a concession to slack country skiing. But maybe combining shift and CT is already too slack.

Warning: rambling response below. Buy the red ones.

How fit are you compared to your touring partners? How good are you at skiing compared to your touring partners? How much touring experience/efficiency do you have (none, I guess) compared to your touring partners (also none?)?

I would lean towards a ski/boot combo that plays towards your weaknesses relative to your partners'. If you only going skiing with marathon runners, but you #shred way harder than them, a lighter setup will help you keep up with them going uphill, and you might still be faster than them going downhill. Plus, feeling like a god-damned skintrack ninja is pretty fun sometimes. On the other hand, if you think you're going to need all the help you can get going down, maybe it makes more sense to have beefier boots and skis.

Weight also depends on what kind of touring you're envisioning. 2000g + Shifts sounds like a setup I might consider if I could only own one pair of skis, for resort and touring purposes. If your touring days aren't going to involve big mileage, and/or you are more fit than most of your touring partners, this setup will be fine. On low-mileage days I will bring 2015/16 Hojis (2250g ea) + Rad 2.0 ST (630g ea), with MTN Labs, and that works fine. For bigger/faster days I use Huascarans (1780g ea) and the same boots/bindings, and in the late spring/summer I go with old Dynastars (1280g ea) + Tourlite Techs (350g ea) and TLT6Ps (1100-ish g ea). So, that's between 4380g per foot with the Hojis, and 2730g per foot with the Dynastars.

The CT 4.0s are also a 118mm-waist ski. Do you expect to ski powder nearly every time you tour? What kinds of non-powder snow conditions can you reasonably expect to find where you tour? I couldn't tell you what the ideal do-it-all-in-the-backcountry ski width is for you, but for me it would probably be around 100mm.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I can compare the Hawx to the Dynafit One, which I think had the exact same fit as the Vulcan, just softer flex.

The Hawx is much tighter in the heel pocket, narrower toe, and lower volume overall. I had to put a thick boot board under the liner in my Ones, and switched liners to an Intuition tongue liner. It still wasn't a great fit for me, still had some heel lift. Put up with it for awhile because I liked that one buckle ski/ walk mode switch.

Hawx fits like it's made for me. Using the stock thin 130 liner, which isn't a great liner, but better than any Dynafit or Palau one I've had. Haven't had them out in any really cold days yet so don't know how warm they really are.

No modifications to the shell on either boot.
    What liner could replace it? Worried about too voluminous a liner. I hate stock liners. I know #spoiled

What liner could replace it? Worried about too voluminous a liner. I hate stock liners. I know #spoiled
    Literally any other liner could replace the Dynafit piece-of-shit liner and be an improvement. Intuition makes dozens of liners in different volumes (thicknesses).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You think you're getting in to touring, but your setup says you want to ride the lifts and occasionally duck the rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    On the other hand, if you think you're going to need all the help you can get going down, maybe it makes more sense to have beefier boots and skis.
    My guess is a skier who needs all the help he can get wouldn't actually benefit much from a beefier boot and binding, provided he's not on the lightest boot. i.e., from <1 kg to 1400 g boot, yes; from 1400 g to 1900 g boot, no.

The short list for boots to try on would be: new ZeroG, Hawx 130, and Maestrale RS2. I would bet most instep issues with the Maestrale could be fixed with a power wrap plug liner and some spot molding of the shell. Personally, I don't think it makes sense to save money by purchasing discounted boots, but then spring for a brand new $650 binding.

Bindings don't make that much of a different when skiing, so go lighter. Ion LT or ATK Raider 12 (available in the US from skimo.co as Hagan Core) would be my recommendation. Unless, of course, you're limited to a OSQ for inbounds and out, in which case the SHIFT seems perfect.

Skis: something around 105 underfoot and around 1800 g work pretty well for everything out west.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos