Ptarmigan Pass Avy bowl almost claims another victim

People love to ski this harmless looking bowl and it has killed many before. We see crews dropping in all the time and they swear they know what they are doing in order to get around the bowl to the fun pillow lines.

IT JUST ISN'T WORTH IT!!!

http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/ac...=650&accfm=rep

These are photos from the fatal 2013 avalanche to show how big the area can slide.

Name:  acc_504_5189-r.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  142.9 KB

Name:  acc_504_5207-r.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  150.0 KB

Name:  acc_504_5208-r.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  52.4 KB
    Last edited by simple; 02-09-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Whooooooa. That's not small. Dude is lucky to have survived.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Whooooooa. That's not small. Dude is lucky to have survived.
    The photos are from the fatal 2013 avalanche. Sorry I'll note that.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    The photos are from the fatal 2013 avalanche. Sorry I'll note that.
    Doh. Got it.

Still, wouldn't be surprised if this one looked similar with the estimate of a five foot crown, 300 feet wide, breaking on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I remember observing that bowl from the ridge across the way (Wingle ridge, I think it was called?) last February when staying in a hut over at Shrine Mountain. I had a nice time, but damn, that CO snowpack really sucks. Spent a few days skiing a bunch of 30-degree or less slopes after we kicked off a few test slides with ski cuts... in LOW conditions (in Tahoe pretty sure the SAC would have left it at moderate). Good thing we brought a bunch of booze and steaks.

wow. looking at the sat-photo, looks like a fairly obvious defined avalanche path. pretty gnarly.

Quote Originally Posted by BenWhit14 View Post
    wow. looking at the sat-photo, looks like a fairly obvious defined avalanche path. pretty gnarly.
    Maybe that's why it's called avi bowl?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Maybe that's why it's called avi bowl?
    Strained through the trees, gnarly. Hope the kid's OK. Final report link from the CAIC has slightly different parameter than original report:
    http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/ac...=650&accfm=inv

Just up the ridge from Fowler-Hilliard? I've been there a few times and like many others skied near there. I recall sled assisted riders ~20 years ago. It's a popular place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
    Just up the ridge from Fowler-Hilliard? I've been there a few times and like many others skied near there. I recall sled assisted riders ~20 years ago. It's a popular place.
    Same ridgeline as F-H, a little ways east of the hut.