Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59
  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    9,239
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Whoa. That's a great set of ticks. I'm somewhat interested in Giant's Steps, but I can't confirm whether it's above my pay grade or not. Good year to move to BC!
    Did you read the latest issue of Back Country where they do a little feature on that line?

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,489
    Hells.Fucking.Yes.

    Stoke is dead. Long live Stoke!

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Insto hall of fame. Holy hell, what a ski mecca that place is on a big year.
    Honestly, it's a ski mecca in an average year. But apparently we don't have those any more. Feast or famine and whatnot.

    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Did you read the latest issue of Back Country where they do a little feature on that line?
    I haven't, but I'd like to see it. I know the approach is heinous and it's easy to get lost though.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    F'n Midwest again
    Posts
    2,107
    There was another article in Powder? or another magazine from 8 years ago that featured Pondella and someone else, maybe Power Dan (Dave?) hitting that...

    Link to the article:

    https://backcountrymagazine.com/stor...h-sierra-line/
    Aggressive in my own mind

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,470
    June

    I like the Eastern Sierra.


    So much.


    On my last day of the season, whatsupdoc and I skied this couloir.

    Skier: whatsupdoc

    Itís on a guidebook.



    Skier: whatsupdoc



    Skier: whatsupdoc


    Skier: whatsupdoc


    Photo: whatsupdoc


    So that was last season. I have a demanding job and a family, so obviously I had to make sacrifices to make it happen. But I regret nothing. It was awesome.

    Meanwhile, itís in the mid-50ís in Tahoe right now, it hasnít snowed for three weeks, and there was hardly any snow in December. Itís pretty depressing. But itíd be a helluva more depressing if last season werenít so great.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    1,975
    Your 2017 Sierra accomplishments would take me many years. Awesome you got pinner and Tom in good conditions, not very common.

    For all the snow at your house, would it be better to give up on shoveling and pack down walkways? I guess the driveway would have to be plowed.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    9,239
    ^^ Tahoe last year was crazy, it was a ton of shoveling just to keep walkways open or for those with flat roofs just keeping the building from collapsing. This was the front of my place in Truckee (at a mere 6400 feet) on Jan 23rd... it snowed more later that week. By this point the back of the house and deck were buried and we had given up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-23 14.26.07.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	843.1 KB 
ID:	223697

    Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    There was another article in Powder? or another magazine from 8 years ago that featured Pondella and someone else, maybe Power Dan (Dave?) hitting that...

    Link to the article:

    https://backcountrymagazine.com/stor...h-sierra-line/
    Ah, thanks. I'd recommend picking up the entire issue. Has a lot of Eastern Sierra history... red line, etc. Very well done.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Whoa. That's a great set of ticks. I'm somewhat interested in Giant's Steps, but I can't confirm whether it's above my pay grade or not. Good year to move to BC!
    Now if only I could take pics like yours...

    Feel free to hit me up if you want beta on GS. Might be another few years before we get a big enough season for it to go again though!

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    338
    Awesome work man! Thanks for posting. Its a shame this couldn't go in the ski snowboard thread

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tahoe City
    Posts
    553
    i wanted to ski before this INCREDIBLE drool-a-thon now I feel that I need to ski, maybe I can scrape out some turns tomorrow
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,408
    meh.



    sproing!

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW CO
    Posts
    523
    A thing of beauty. Thanks for this.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Your 2017 Sierra accomplishments would take me many years. Awesome you got pinner and Tom in good conditions, not very common.

    For all the snow at your house, would it be better to give up on shoveling and pack down walkways? I guess the driveway would have to be plowed.
    Yeah, we felt lucky about getting both in such good conditions.

    We had to shovel constantly. If we had given up, we would have probably lost our two rear decks (like many neighbors did) and the walkways would have become impassable. And we had to shovel and snowblow like hell to keep our bearbox accessible for garbage pickup. (Props to the local waste disposal, who kept things running nearly the whole time.)

    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ Tahoe last year was crazy, it was a ton of shoveling just to keep walkways open or for those with flat roofs just keeping the building from collapsing. This was the front of my place in Truckee (at a mere 6400 feet) on Jan 23rd... it snowed more later that week. By this point the back of the house and deck were buried and we had given up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-23 14.26.07.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	843.1 KB 
ID:	223697
    That's awesome. I wish I had taken more photos of the neighborhood and things like the local Raley's, where a quarter of the parking spaces were occupied with 25' high mounds of snow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    i wanted to ski before this INCREDIBLE drool-a-thon now I feel that I need to ski, maybe I can scrape out some turns tomorrow
    I'd say "let's get out" but I don't know what we'd ski. If you ever want to do an early morning fitness skin up Diamond Peak, give me a shout.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    321
    So good. At one point when I was bored this summer I reread the entire Eastside Conditions thread since I had mostly been too busy skiing all winter. I then realized how much awesome stuff you guys had done and was jealous, even as rad as my season had been.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    2,554
    Fuk yeah!!!! Really proud year u nailed.
    Giant steps is at the top of my list but I doubt I will hit it without a partner who's already done it. From what I've heard it really isn't all that gnar but is all about the route finding. When lagasse and dostie (Jeff) hit it last year, they had Morrison and crews tracks to follow from days before which sounds ideal. Did u have tracks to follow lazyasian or did u just figure it out?
    Pretty cool article in ascent backcountry journal (online) by brennen about trips up middle pal and g steps last year.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    4,513
    Absolutely fantastic TR! Thanks much for sharing.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    www.instagram.com/auvgeek/

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    224
    Unreal. Way to max out the year.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Fuk yeah!!!! Really proud year u nailed.
    Giant steps is at the top of my list but I doubt I will hit it without a partner who's already done it. From what I've heard it really isn't all that gnar but is all about the route finding. When lagasse and dostie (Jeff) hit it last year, they had Morrison and crews tracks to follow from days before which sounds ideal. Did u have tracks to follow lazyasian or did u just figure it out?
    Pretty cool article in ascent backcountry journal (online) by brennen about trips up middle pal and g steps last year.
    I didnít have tracks to follow but actually didnít find the route finding to be particularly difficult. I did take a GPS watch with me though, so if you want to take a look at my tracks shoot me a pm and Iíd be happy to send them over.

    The skiing itself wasnít too gnarly but the exposure is huge. I think I read that the headwall of the first step hits 54 degrees, but things mellow fairly quickly. The line is pretty much no fall zone the whole way down, and when I was there getting over the lip after the first step meant some very steep side hilling and side stepping over blue ice - it was definitely the crux of the route when I was there, and is made mentally harder by being directly over a 1000 or so foot cliff.

    Other pics Iíve seen have shown that people have skied right over it in different conditions though, guess it just depends how the wind comes in!

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyasian View Post
    very steep side hilling and side stepping over blue ice . . . over a 1000 or so foot cliff.
    This makes my palms sweat.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    610
    Whoa, I just stumbled upon this. What a season! Great work Frank, brings back some excellent memories. You're kind of inspiring me to put together a TR of my own from last year...

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    Whoa, I just stumbled upon this. What a season! Great work Frank, brings back some excellent memories. You're kind of inspiring me to put together a TR of my own from last year...
    Thanks, man. You should do it! It was actually pretty fun going through and curating last season's photos. So many good days!

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    9,893
    sweet babeee jebus.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In the sewers of Folsom
    Posts
    59
    Just read both whatupdoc and AKBruinís TRís. Iím dupla-posting the same comment to both. Both were equally awesome, and cuz, well, Iím lazy. Thanks for posting Ė really great stuff, so many awesome lines and pics. I know that musta took some effort to put together. You guyís killed it last year. Props. A lot of folks would take a lifetime to do as much as yíall did. Great routes. Brought back some good memories, as well as jealousy and making me look forward to stuff still on my ticklist (Tinemaha, S side of Split, etcÖ hope the march miracle continues and hits down south so the East side is good this year).

    Your TR's are what the Sierraís are all about. Every year should be last year. Thanks again for sharing.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    2,534
    Awesome year and great TR. You got on so many amazing descents.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    tahoe de chingao
    Posts
    236
    Fun to look at this again today! Hoping next weekend is money for the eastside.

    I had to laugh at the 10 year old on top of Incline Peak - I've hauled a touring partner's flatland brother up for a single lap and we were pretty sure he's not gonna make it. Good for you for getting out with the kids!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •