Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Whoa. That's a great set of ticks. I'm somewhat interested in Giant's Steps, but I can't confirm whether it's above my pay grade or not. Good year to move to BC!
    Did you read the latest issue of Back Country where they do a little feature on that line?

Hells.Fucking.Yes.

Stoke is dead. Long live Stoke!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Insto hall of fame. Holy hell, what a ski mecca that place is on a big year.
    Honestly, it's a ski mecca in an average year. But apparently we don't have those any more. Feast or famine and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Did you read the latest issue of Back Country where they do a little feature on that line?
    I haven't, but I'd like to see it. I know the approach is heinous and it's easy to get lost though.

There was another article in Powder? or another magazine from 8 years ago that featured Pondella and someone else, maybe Power Dan (Dave?) hitting that...

Link to the article:

https://backcountrymagazine.com/stor...h-sierra-line/
    Aggressive in my own mind

June

I like the Eastern Sierra.

So much.

On my last day of the season, whatsupdoc and I skied this couloir.

Skier: whatsupdoc

It’s on a guidebook.

Photo: whatsupdoc

So that was last season. I have a demanding job and a family, so obviously I had to make sacrifices to make it happen. But I regret nothing. It was awesome.

Meanwhile, it’s in the mid-50’s in Tahoe right now, it hasn’t snowed for three weeks, and there was hardly any snow in December. It’s pretty depressing. But it’d be a helluva more depressing if last season weren’t so great.

Your 2017 Sierra accomplishments would take me many years. Awesome you got pinner and Tom in good conditions, not very common.

For all the snow at your house, would it be better to give up on shoveling and pack down walkways? I guess the driveway would have to be plowed.

^^ Tahoe last year was crazy, it was a ton of shoveling just to keep walkways open or for those with flat roofs just keeping the building from collapsing. This was the front of my place in Truckee (at a mere 6400 feet) on Jan 23rd... it snowed more later that week. By this point the back of the house and deck were buried and we had given up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-23 14.26.07.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	843.1 KB 
ID:	223697

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    There was another article in Powder? or another magazine from 8 years ago that featured Pondella and someone else, maybe Power Dan (Dave?) hitting that...

Link to the article:

https://backcountrymagazine.com/stor...h-sierra-line/
    Ah, thanks. I'd recommend picking up the entire issue. Has a lot of Eastern Sierra history... red line, etc. Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Whoa. That's a great set of ticks. I'm somewhat interested in Giant's Steps, but I can't confirm whether it's above my pay grade or not. Good year to move to BC!
    Now if only I could take pics like yours...

Feel free to hit me up if you want beta on GS. Might be another few years before we get a big enough season for it to go again though!

Awesome work man! Thanks for posting. Its a shame this couldn't go in the ski snowboard thread

i wanted to ski before this INCREDIBLE drool-a-thon now I feel that I need to ski, maybe I can scrape out some turns tomorrow
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

meh.

sproing!

A thing of beauty. Thanks for this.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Your 2017 Sierra accomplishments would take me many years. Awesome you got pinner and Tom in good conditions, not very common.

For all the snow at your house, would it be better to give up on shoveling and pack down walkways? I guess the driveway would have to be plowed.
    Yeah, we felt lucky about getting both in such good conditions.

We had to shovel constantly. If we had given up, we would have probably lost our two rear decks (like many neighbors did) and the walkways would have become impassable. And we had to shovel and snowblow like hell to keep our bearbox accessible for garbage pickup. (Props to the local waste disposal, who kept things running nearly the whole time.)

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ Tahoe last year was crazy, it was a ton of shoveling just to keep walkways open or for those with flat roofs just keeping the building from collapsing. This was the front of my place in Truckee (at a mere 6400 feet) on Jan 23rd... it snowed more later that week. By this point the back of the house and deck were buried and we had given up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-23 14.26.07.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	843.1 KB 
ID:	223697
    That's awesome. I wish I had taken more photos of the neighborhood and things like the local Raley's, where a quarter of the parking spaces were occupied with 25' high mounds of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    i wanted to ski before this INCREDIBLE drool-a-thon now I feel that I need to ski, maybe I can scrape out some turns tomorrow
    I'd say "let's get out" but I don't know what we'd ski. If you ever want to do an early morning fitness skin up Diamond Peak, give me a shout.

So good. At one point when I was bored this summer I reread the entire Eastside Conditions thread since I had mostly been too busy skiing all winter. I then realized how much awesome stuff you guys had done and was jealous, even as rad as my season had been.

Fuk yeah!!!! Really proud year u nailed.
    Giant steps is at the top of my list but I doubt I will hit it without a partner who's already done it. From what I've heard it really isn't all that gnar but is all about the route finding. When lagasse and dostie (Jeff) hit it last year, they had Morrison and crews tracks to follow from days before which sounds ideal. Did u have tracks to follow lazyasian or did u just figure it out?
    Pretty cool article in ascent backcountry journal (online) by brennen about trips up middle pal and g steps last year.

Absolutely fantastic TR! Thanks much for sharing.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Unreal. Way to max out the year.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Fuk yeah!!!! Really proud year u nailed.
    Giant steps is at the top of my list but I doubt I will hit it without a partner who's already done it. From what I've heard it really isn't all that gnar but is all about the route finding. When lagasse and dostie (Jeff) hit it last year, they had Morrison and crews tracks to follow from days before which sounds ideal. Did u have tracks to follow lazyasian or did u just figure it out?
    Pretty cool article in ascent backcountry journal (online) by brennen about trips up middle pal and g steps last year.
    I didn’t have tracks to follow but actually didn’t find the route finding to be particularly difficult. I did take a GPS watch with me though, so if you want to take a look at my tracks shoot me a pm and I’d be happy to send them over.

The skiing itself wasn’t too gnarly but the exposure is huge. I think I read that the headwall of the first step hits 54 degrees, but things mellow fairly quickly. The line is pretty much no fall zone the whole way down, and when I was there getting over the lip after the first step meant some very steep side hilling and side stepping over blue ice - it was definitely the crux of the route when I was there, and is made mentally harder by being directly over a 1000 or so foot cliff.

Other pics I’ve seen have shown that people have skied right over it in different conditions though, guess it just depends how the wind comes in!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyasian View Post
    very steep side hilling and side stepping over blue ice . . . over a 1000 or so foot cliff.
    This makes my palms sweat.

Whoa, I just stumbled upon this. What a season! Great work Frank, brings back some excellent memories. You're kind of inspiring me to put together a TR of my own from last year...

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    Whoa, I just stumbled upon this. What a season! Great work Frank, brings back some excellent memories. You're kind of inspiring me to put together a TR of my own from last year...
    Thanks, man. You should do it! It was actually pretty fun going through and curating last season's photos. So many good days!

sweet babeee jebus.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Just read both whatupdoc and AKBruin’s TR’s. I’m dupla-posting the same comment to both. Both were equally awesome, and cuz, well, I’m lazy. Thanks for posting – really great stuff, so many awesome lines and pics. I know that musta took some effort to put together. You guy’s killed it last year. Props. A lot of folks would take a lifetime to do as much as y’all did. Great routes. Brought back some good memories, as well as jealousy and making me look forward to stuff still on my ticklist (Tinemaha, S side of Split, etc… hope the march miracle continues and hits down south so the East side is good this year).

Your TR's are what the Sierra’s are all about. Every year should be last year. Thanks again for sharing.

Awesome year and great TR. You got on so many amazing descents.

Fun to look at this again today! Hoping next weekend is money for the eastside.

I had to laugh at the 10 year old on top of Incline Peak - I've hauled a touring partner's flatland brother up for a single lap and we were pretty sure he's not gonna make it. Good for you for getting out with the kids!