Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Updating/upgrading 26" wheeled bikes

We have 3 older 26" wheel bikes. 2 could use some newer or different components to lighten them up a bit or replace worn out parts.

Last time I did this, I had access to QBP, fox prodeal, and FSA prodeal. Those are all gone for me. Is there a good place to find discount or lightly used bike components? Some components are likely still readily available, like a 1 1/8" threadless HS, but some may be harder to find, like a 80mm fork, or lightish wheels that take rim brakes. Looking for suggestions of where to start the hunt. Cost is important.

Thanks

When I tried this I couldn’t get rim brake wheels, period.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Blueskycycling has new old stock stuff, and may well have decent prices on 26" wheels. Performance Bike too.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Tons of rim brake wheels on ebay. High end ones in good used condition too.

Major problem is that there are virtually no wider, tubeless 26" rims that are rim brake compatible. These trials rims look pretty good but are $90:

https://webcyclery.com/product/trial...t-rim-7670.htm

^^^this is my point. But since “Cost is important” ...

Thanks all.

I had not heard of blueskycycling before.

It sounds like for wheels, I'll need to keep my eyes open and persistently watch eBay, FB, and craigslist. Though bluesky has a set on sale.

ebay and pinkbike

The parts you're talking about are basically worthless in the current dentistry environment so 'next to free' is kind of the going rate on used versions.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Is a sun ryhno lite a bad rim? bc you can get those new.

I've ordered from Blueskycycling a few times. Occasionally they have great deals on things I was looking for. But mostly their inventory is a bit outdated. Which means, they may have just what you need.

If things like ebay, CL etc don't pan out you could call around to local bike shops. Those especially older shops that don't cater to high end new MTBs or those that sell used stuff might have the things you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Is a sun ryhno lite a bad rim? bc you can get those new.
    Heavy and not all that strong by modern standards, not tubeless ready, but still a viable rim brake rim because of the low cost, availability, variety of drillings and acceptable width (around 22mm internal).
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 02-08-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Rhyno Lite XL will give you 27 internal. I went down this road, and after finding rims like these, finding new hubs, building up, doing the same sort of exercise with all the other parts, I gave up and sold the bikes and bought a 29".

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Heavy and not all that strong by modern standards.
    hmm. Apparently I was fooled by the name. liars!

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Rhyno Lite XL will give you 27 internal. I went down this road, and after finding rims like these, finding new hubs, building up, doing the same sort of exercise with all the other parts, I gave up and sold the bikes and bought a 29".
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    hmm. Apparently I was fooled by the name. liars!

Ebay and Nashbar. Or scout garage sales and buy someone's hardly-ridden bike for parts.

Sorry, read that wrong. Funny, their website has it at 24, now that I'm looking at it closer.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 2.39.35 PM.png
Views: 237
Size:  10.8 KB

Velocity Cliffhanger, rim brake compatible, 25mm inside

When 26" wheels were king and rim breaks were actually a thing, there was very little avail in a tubeless ready option. So i think that its unrealistic to expect there to be a readily available, cheap, light, strong and tubeless ready rim today.

I would also be a bit hesitant to look for wide 26" rim.... tire manufactures are not redesigning any 26" tires. Currently avail 26" tires were designed be used used on standard width rims... so the tire shape need to be considered...and lets not forget, there is actually a design limitation on the width of a rim if you intend to use it with a rim brake. Replacing what you already have, with similar (but new) components is totally realistic. but trying to take advantage of advancements in wheel, rim and tire design, that were never really considered for 26" is a fools errand.

But Honestly, the wheels are going to be the easiest thing here. A modern suspension fork in a 1 1/8th steer tube is going to be the real challenge....

What is your budget per bike? and do you really need to keep 3 x 26ers rolling? could you size down the quiver?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I would also be a bit hesitant to look for wide 26" rim.... tire manufactures are not redesigning any 26" tires. Currently avail 26" tires were designed be used used on standard width rims... so the tire shape need to be considered...and lets not forget, there is actually a design limitation on the width of a rim if you intend to use it with a rim brake. Replacing what you already have, with similar (but new) components is totally realistic. but trying to take advantage of advancements in wheel, rim and tire design, that were never really considered for 26" is a fools errand.
    Not true at all for disc rims and modern tires. Maxxis has had 26x2.4WT and 26x2.5WT tires available, and just released a brand new 26x2.5WT Minion DHF, it's available for purchase on their website. There's a variety of 26+ tires and rims available. The entire new Stan's MK3 rim range (like 6 types) is available in 26", including 3 types that just came out that are wider than the Flow MK3. So obviously they don't think 26" is dead and want to supply to people that still ride 26".

https://shop.maxxis.com/c/minion-dhf-bike-tire?action_type=switch_product&selected_cat_keys= 1031949.13641.1071113.0.0&selected_product=160a34b bfe5b5f11dd10cbfac4227987&redirected_post=1

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...20Tubes&order=

If there was 26" rim brake rim that was 25mm internal, 480-500g and $50, I'd be all over it.

That's 'cause they know that 26" is gon' make a comeback... soon.

I'm following this as well for a rear wheel for my wife's bike. I don't want to build one if I don't have to. I need a 26" rim brake for Shimano 8-9-10 speed. Anybody?

I'm following this as well for a rear wheel for my wife's bike. I don't want to build one if I don't have to. I need a 26" rim brake for Shimano 8-9-10 speed. Anybody?
    My old kona is forkless so I guess the wheels could go, too. I know they can take a rim brake but I'm not sure what else. I can take pictures when I get home

Not true at all for disc rims and modern tires. Maxxis has had 26x2.4WT and 26x2.5WT tires available, and just released a brand new 26x2.5WT Minion DHF, it's available for purchase on their website. There's a variety of 26+ tires and rims available. The entire new Stan's MK3 rim range (like 6 types) is available in 26", including 3 types that just came out that are wider than the Flow MK3. So obviously they don't think 26" is dead and want to supply to people that still ride 26".

https://shop.maxxis.com/c/minion-dhf-bike-tire?action_type=switch_product&selected_cat_keys= 1031949.13641.1071113.0.0&selected_product=160a34b bfe5b5f11dd10cbfac4227987&redirected_post=1

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...20Tubes&order=

If there was 26" rim brake rim that was 25mm internal, 480-500g and $50, I'd be all over it.
    all serious questions;

What kind bikes are you in possession of, that use both rim brakes and can accept a 2.5 (or larger) tire?

and

What is your budget per bike? do you really need to keep 3 x 26ers rolling? could you size down the quiver?

what is the axle spacing?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c...l/rp-prod12386

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    all serious questions;

What kind bikes are you in possession of, that use both rim brakes and can accept a 2.5 (or larger) tire?
    Any decent v-brake fork can take a 2.5" tire on a 25mm internal rim. Most v-brake frames can take a 2.3 maxxis on a 25mm internal rim. And I definitely have an old suspension frame with v-brake mounts (and disc tabs) on hand that can take a 2.5 or bigger.

Any decent v-brake fork can take a 2.5" tire on a 25mm internal rim. Most v-brake frames can take a 2.3 maxxis on a 25mm internal rim. And I definitely have an old suspension frame with v-brake mounts (and disc tabs) on hand that can take a 2.5 or bigger.
    My experience has been that most frames with canti post mounts cannot accept a tire beyond 2.3, and that gets tight. Its less than ideal to run your rear tire at max width, as you can cause issues when you put a little bend in the wheel..... you did clearly did well future proofing your purchase.

And yes, forks can accept a lot more meat, not to mention fork upgrades often come with disk mounts.... and most frames with disk mounts are built a bit wider..... but really, we are failing to get to the point and address the actual question

again ... wheels and tires are not your problem. Suspension forks in 1 1/8th are.

EDIT ... my bad ... I confused Jonny Snow with the OP for a second .... sitting here yelling at my computer "why wont you answer my question" ... fun times. Co workers think I am crazy. (probably right)