Thread: Skier's Thumb

Skier's Thumb

So after a few years of my thumb feeling a bit worse at the end of each working season, I finally decided to see a doctor about it. The prognosis is a torn ucl, which does a lot to explain the constant dull pain, instability, and weakness in my hand. I have an appointment to see the surgeon about it in two weeks, but it sounds like surgery will be the route for me.

This seems like a crowd that would have some experience with this injury, so does anyone recall what their recovery time was? I'm not sure which procedure they'll recommend (repair or fusion), so I understand that each will be pretty different. My main concern is that I work on a gill netting boat, so I need my hands (or a different job), and work starts mid-May.

I've told my current employer the situation, and I could potentially have another job I could take, but I'm totally hosed if I wait more than a few weeks to commit to either.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I know this shit all too well. Nagging pain for a few years, finally UCL tore all the way through in 2010 though. Repaired that year. I did the PT, but I too work with my hands and within 6 months it hurt like a bastard again. Had it "cleaned out" twice to remove scar tissue and try to free up the joint. Did all the PT, etc. It was never the same and it always hurt. Finally got it fused in like 2013 or 14. Wow. Almost never hurts now. Hand works great. Can't think of anything that I haven't been able to do with very limited ROM in my right thumb. Tiny dress shirt buttons can be a bitch.

tldr; Figure out a desk job or something for several months or longer if possible.

No desk work is possible, but I can possibly get a job that abuses my hands less.

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    No desk work is possible, but I can possibly get a job that abuses my hands less.
    Hey Man --

Sorry to hear about your injury. Had this happen two years ago landing on it wrong on a big jump. Had the surgery, cadaver tendon placed with anchors. 6 weeks hard cast (stitches), then 6 weeks PT, then doing it on my own (though probably could have done that way earlier).

I had a great doc, no lingering issues other than slightly less strength and ROM. hit me up via PM if you want details, i got my surgeon to take pics mid surgery and post. cool shit.

good luck bud

Skier's thumb is same thing as gamekeeper's thumb? I know a couple people who have had surgery for the latter. They turned out okay. Best o' luck.

When I first saw this thread title, I thought this:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Skier's thumb is same thing as gamekeeper's thumb? I know a couple people who have had surgery for the latter. They turned out okay. Best o' luck.

When I first saw this thread title, I thought this:

Steve --

haha. and yes, same thing. Thought it was BS, but after surgery, glad I did it. which I cant say for all the other surgeries.