Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Affordable bikes

Does any brand make bikes (full suspension) that aren't rivaling the price of a new dirt bike? It seems a bit extreme that a full suspension bike costs as much as a new KLR650 in some cases, considering that bike is more capable, and also comes with an entire engine.

Wife wants to bike more. I don't have one other than a 200 dollar fixie I bought online 5 years ago. Don't want to spend 3k, would prefer more like 1.5 or lower. I have found I typically regret buying toys used, as they are always run hard and put away wet. What's a guy to do?

Edit: That isn't a Huffy or comparable type shit at Walmart.
    Live Free or Die

Buy a perfectly good 130-150mm FS bike from 2011-2012 from a mag shoot for $7-900 bucks. Spend another few hundred fixing/upgrading as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by jm2e; 02-07-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I posted up a similar type thread years ago about fixing up an old Gary Fisher I had laying around. Consensus seemed to be that I would spend more upgrading parts than just buying a new one. That still true?
    Live Free or Die

Affordable bikes

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I posted up a similar type thread years ago about fixing up an old Gary Fisher I had laying around. Consensus seemed to be that I would spend more upgrading parts than just buying a new one. That still true?
    I believe it holds true.

Quality bike under 1.5, is going to a hard tail.

In the 3k range, every company has an entry level ride. YT and commencal are some of the cheapest. I would almost always prefer a lower end build brand new , than fancier bits that have had their lifespan reduced.

Used bike (with a few exceptions) rarely pay off for any one who is actually going to ride the bike.

... and for what it's worth .....3k is way cheaper than any kind of new motorcycle. A top end performance motorcycle is significantly more than a top end MTB.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I believe it holds true.

Quality bike under 1.5, is going to a hard tail.

In the 3k range, every company has an entry level ride. YT and commencal are some of the cheapest. I would almost always prefer a lower end build brand new , than fancier bits that have had their lifespan reduced.

Used bike (with a few exceptions) rarely pay off for any one who is actually going to ride the bike.
    Don't forget Canyon.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

What type of riding?
    I’ve put a shit load of miles on hard tails.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

REI has some good deals right now.

I got a road bike from them with 30% off coupon and Active Junky that was a screaming deal.

https://www.rei.com/c/mountain-bikes...n-bikes&page=1

I built a few of these last year for a buddy's shop and was pretty impressed with what they cost/what's on them.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239834-128950

I think he was selling them for just under $1500
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Diamondback. It's dead easy to get a corporate code discount, no verification etc. PM me if you can't figure it out. The release 1 is ~$1500 shipped.

A little bit more than $1500 but Intense has an aluminum Spider foundation build complete bike new for $2400.

https://intensecycles.com/collection...undation-build

Suspension is ok not great, most other parts you could just upgrade as you wear them out.

Personally I buy most of my bikes used. Lots of people buy new each year and look at them more than they ride them, so there are plenty of used bikes that are in great shape and/or great deal.

Norco has a bunch of bikes under $3k and a couple right around the #2k mark.

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/hawk-hill

Marin Hawk Hill.

https://nsmb.com/articles/2017-marin-hawk-hill/

I've chatted with Andrew (the guy that reviewed it above) a bunch about the kinematics of the Marin. They actually nailed it really good and it shows in his review. The suspension is arguably better than many 10K bikes on leverage ratio alone.

https://nsmb.com/articles/min-maxing...t-bikes-marin/

How tall are you? I'll keep my eyes open for something that looks good in the used mkt for your price range

There should be some good bikes to be had in your price range

And I hear you about how sometimes buying used is not the way- but I think it's sort of the opposite around here for mtb. We have so many summer sports in our region (climbing, fishing, biking, running, mtneering, working a zillion jobs) that a lot of people buy really nice bikes, dont use them and then sell them a few yrs later. So will keep my eyes peeled for you

what type of riding do you lean towards- longer trails or the pass trails/ targhee lift service?
    skid luxury

I have a db mission pro for sale. A little over your ideal price range but close. Brand new frame. Less than a season on the drivetrain. Fox squishers. Pm me if interested and I can send pics.

YT aluminum 27.5 jeffsy for 2300 if I’m not mistaken, worth a look-

Trek came out with a hard tail 27.5 but has the plus tires. I've heard that that is a killer machine

Make money. Buy toys.

If you have a buddy who rides and knows bikes, you can get some really damn nice 26" full-suspension bikes with "obsolete" 2x9 drivetrains for $700 or $800 on Craigslist in big cities. Late 2000's Giant Reign/Reign X, Specialized Enduro, etc.

The dirt hasn't changed since 29 & 27.5 wheels were introduced.

But the suspension may be unsupported and 26 inch/straight steer tube forks aren't easy to come by...

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/hawk-hill

Marin Hawk Hill.

https://nsmb.com/articles/2017-marin-hawk-hill/

I've chatted with Andrew (the guy that reviewed it above) a bunch about the kinematics of the Marin. They actually nailed it really good and it shows in his review. The suspension is arguably better than many 10K bikes on leverage ratio alone.

https://nsmb.com/articles/min-maxing...t-bikes-marin/
    I was going to suggest the Marin too. I don't think there is a batter deal in mountain biking for $1500 where you're not compromising much of anything.

Ditto on the Diamondbacks w/code. For the money its a no-brainer.

Where are you located? Local shop is trying to get rid of its inventory and has some great deals on newish/demo bikes hat were rented less Han a hand full of time to some very tame trails. Velo stop in Superior Co if your interested...Suny is the owner and a great dude

Pinkbike.com has a bunch of good stuff as well. Note sure if mentioned earlier.

Sent from my van down by the river. Using a NewSchoolers hack... sick I know.
    That fly seems to like you!

$1,500USD can get you a pretty damn good used bike, but I would only recommend that approach if you have time to do all the research and know how to check out a used bike for red flags (and only buy used bikes in person IMO). If you are going new I would stretch the budget to the YT Jeffsy or Canyon trail bike, the base model YT Jeffsy is legit, capable and not a boat anchor, don't need to change a thing on it.