Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Everything I read implied I should, and I do like it comes “tubeless ready”. Did I just buy into a sales pitch and does it still require mods?

That’s my game plan. I live right by the Nemo’s trailhead, to which, if memory serves, I thank you for building!
    I think tubeless ready should mean you just have to pull the tubes, add a valve stem and stans or the like but both my bikes came tubeless, so maybe stop my the LBS. Bring some beer to apologize for the mail order bike.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Hard to beat those picks. For trail/enduro I thought you’d be looking at the jeffsy instead of the Capra . Jeffsy with a rock shock fork and spend an extra $100 and make the fork 20mm linger travel. Noce bikes. Friend picked up a carbon 27.5. It’s 150/150. A 170 fork wouldn’t hamper climbing much at all but it’ll handle any downs and really dial in the angles
    That's a good point. I'd sorta written off the Jeffsy because the shock is kinda lousy on both AL builds, and the HTA is steeper than I think is good (~66 range for 29er), but you make a great point about long-forking it. I don't think it even would cost $100. I know it's easy to do too, since I did that with the 34 on my Chameleon. But you're right, it would have to be the RS build because the 34 Rhythm is limited to 140mm but the Pike can go up to 160. That'd drop the HTA down to around 66.2, definitely aggressive enough then. My only concern at that point would be the shitty rear shock. He probably could wait and see if the 2019's upgrade it to something at least halfway decent like a Deluxe or DPX.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    That's a good point. I'd sorta written off the Jeffsy because the shock is kinda lousy on both AL builds, and the HTA is steeper than I think is good (~66 range for 29er), but you make a great point about long-forking it. I don't think it even would cost $100. I know it's easy to do too, since I did that with the 34 on my Chameleon. But you're right, it would have to be the RS build because the 34 Rhythm is limited to 140mm but the Pike can go up to 160. That'd drop the HTA down to around 66.2, definitely aggressive enough then. My only concern at that point would be the shitty rear shock. He probably could wait and see if the 2019's upgrade it to something at least halfway decent like a Deluxe or DPX.
    I can’t remember what her suspension was. Fox but not sure on deets. It was the carbon model. Decent parts but I don’t think the fork can be adjusted for more travel, not sure as it’s lower line. It was old stock on sale over the winter. A lot of nice parts though. Clean looking lines on those yt’s. Commencal has some sales going, kind of hi and miss with sizes and models but definitely 30+ lbs

I am super happy with my capra although it's at the upper end of the range.
    It's even harder to find complaints on the jeffsey on the forums.

Everything I read implied I should, and I do like it comes “tubeless ready”. Did I just buy into a sales pitch and does it still require mods
    The Diamondback bikes sold as tubeless-ready come with tubeless valve stems. All you need is sealant. The whole process takes like 5 minutes per tire if you know how to change/remove a tube.

Apparently Canyon just revamped the Spectral and the alloy build looks like a whole lot of bike for the price: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/spe...pectral-al-6-0

Tempting, though I wish the STA were a couple degrees steeper. The fork doesn't seem to exist on Fox's website either, not sure what the deal is there.

Affordable bikes

Canyon makes some cool bikes at amazing prices. Enduro team bumped their results up a bit with the tourque. Not sure it was all the bike but they all seemed to get on well with it. Their bikes could use a bit steeper sa for sure. I do here numerous stories on how they’re a pain in the ass to deal with company though . They returned an email inquiry to me pretty quick though

Used bikes are most affordable. Can't understand why you would buy a new bike if you're on a budget. Sure there's some jank ones, but so many that are just fine if you look.

Quote Originally Posted by stupendus-man View Post
    Used bikes are most affordable. Can't understand why you would buy a new bike if you're on a budget. Sure there's some jank ones, but so many that are just fine if you look.
    Local availability, limited buying experience, warranty support, just to name a few reasons.

Looking at a DB Clutch 1 for my SO. Anyone have a promo code?

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Looking at a DB Clutch 1 for my SO. Anyone have a promo code?
    "SAVE5" gets you 5% off on Diamondback's site.

A mag has offered up a nice discount on the Clutch 1. Looks like around 1600 shipped. I also looked at the Canyon Neuron WMN (~2100 shipped). For some reason DB dropped the seat dropper and Sram NX 1x11 on the Clutch. The drivetrain isn't that big of a deal, but she'll need a dropper. So I'll have to put another 150-200 into the Clutch. I'm looking for a women's specific bike because she's petite and I don't want to mess with trying to alter the cockpit for her. She's been on a Trek WSD for years. Any thoughts?

Damn, it's more stressful trying to find her a bike than it was finding mine!

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    A mag has offered up a nice discount on the Clutch 1. Looks like around 1600 shipped. I also looked at the Canyon Neuron WMN (~2100 shipped). For some reason DB dropped the seat dropper and Sram NX 1x11 on the Clutch. The drivetrain isn't that big of a deal, but she'll need a dropper. So I'll have to put another 150-200 into the Clutch. I'm looking for a women's specific bike because she's petite and I don't want to mess with trying to alter the cockpit for her. She's been on a Trek WSD for years. Any thoughts?

Damn, it's more stressful trying to find her a bike than it was finding mine!
    Neuron has substantially better parts across the board. 12 speed drivetrain (vs. 10 speed on Clutch 1). Rockshox suspension front and rear (vs. X-Fusion / SR Suntour on the Clutch 1). Shimano / Mavic wheels (vs. unnamed generics on the Clutch). Dropper post (vs. no dropper post on the Clutch). And based on claimed weights, the Canyon is almost 2 lbs lighter.

I'd say that's easily worth the extra $500 for the Canyon.

Only caveat is that, by the numbers, the Canyon is a bigger bike. Nothing crazy, but the seat tube length and standover numbers are longer / taller for any given size. If your wife is truly tiny, that might be an issue. But if she's not that tiny (so maybe 5'3" or above), I bet she'd be fine.

Well I bought a Diamondback Mason 2 today. 1100 out the door shipped to my place. Not the best corpo deal on there but I'm not going to spring for a full suspension just yet. Thoughts on the bike?
    FWIW, I got back into MTB last summer. After thrashing a cheapo 26’’ xc hardtail for a couple months, breaking shit left and right, I settled on a similar bike, a DeVinci Kobain 27.5 plus hard tail. Got it for $850ish, it was a demo at my local ski hill. The bike techs thought it was new. Looks like as the season ended, it could have been had for right around $1100 new too.
    Very happy with it so far, it’s so much more capable than my old 26’’ XC bikes obviously. Went tubeless, still figuring out pressures for different conditions. It’s kind of a poor man’s (cheap man’s) full suspension.

There's little that's truly wimminz-specific on the Clutch. Shorter stem and narrower stock bars, otherwise it's just a Release with a different name and color scheme (NTTAWWT). Travel and geo on the Neuron seem more XC-ish, while the Clutch is more all-mountainy with the 150 fork and slacker HTA. I'd base the decision on that since price is basically a wash once the dropper is added.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Neuron has substantially better parts across the board. 12 speed drivetrain (vs. 10 speed on Clutch 1). Rockshox suspension front and rear (vs. X-Fusion / SR Suntour on the Clutch 1). Shimano / Mavic wheels (vs. unnamed generics on the Clutch). Dropper post (vs. no dropper post on the Clutch). And based on claimed weights, the Canyon is almost 2 lbs lighter.

I'd say that's easily worth the extra $500 for the Canyon.

Only caveat is that, by the numbers, the Canyon is a bigger bike. Nothing crazy, but the seat tube length and standover numbers are longer / taller for any given size. If your wife is truly tiny, that might be an issue. But if she's not that tiny (so maybe 5'3" or above), I bet she'd be fine.
    Those were my thoughts exactly. The parts are far better (not sure why DB lowered their's so much from last year's model). She's 5'2" so definitely at the bottom of their chart, but not by a lot. If I got the Clutch, I'd have to drop the money for a dropper anyway. There's some shitty reviews on the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's little that's truly wimminz-specific on the Clutch. Shorter stem and narrower stock bars, otherwise it's just a Release with a different name and color scheme (NTTAWWT). Travel and geo on the Neuron seem more XC-ish, while the Clutch is more all-mountainy with the 150 fork and slacker HTA. I'd base the decision on that since price is basically a wash once the dropper is added.
    Thanks Dan. She does way more XC than anything else.

By and large, bad idea to buy a bike with NX build? I realize there is more to it than just the components, but anyone had experience with SRAM NX?

Affordable bikes

$700 for a Rocky Mountain blizzard 10 fat bike at my local shop. Feels like a really good deal, should I jump on it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0551.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	273870

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffhead93 View Post
    By and large, bad idea to buy a bike with NX build? I realize there is more to it than just the components, but anyone had experience with SRAM NX?

Came on my Hightower. Plan is to ride it until it wears out, then upgrade to GX Eagle or similar.

On had it since November, so mellow rides near the house here and there due to the rain. But seems fine so far. Got a great deal on the bike, so plenty of extra cash to upgrade later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Came on the Canyon Neuron we bought for my SO. I have GX on my bike. I rode her bike around some and it felt pretty close. Little less snappy, but pretty close. It is a lot heavier for sure.

Pretty good summary here:https://singletrackworld.com/2018/06...12-drivetrain/

And by way of an update on my purchase. I really like the Canyon. Delivery was perfect and she loves the bike. The bad news is we went out for her virgin ride Sunday and she broke her clavicle. She was really loving the bike got a little cocky- hit a drop and went OTB.

What bike are you looking at? If we're talking NX Eagle, I think the consensus is that it shifts just fine. The main downsides are that you don't get a XD driver and the cassette is really heavy, like 50% heavier than a GX cassette. On a full suspension bike all that unsprung weight definitely affects rear suspension performance, but mostly NBD on a hardtail. The bigger problem with NX builds is usually the suspension and brakes.

Speaking of affordable bikes, check out the spec list and MSRP on the Norco Torrent FS 1: https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain.../torrent-fs-1/

Price looks like it should be a typo.

Throwing a brand into the ring that I don't think has been mentioned yet: Intense. Long known for prohibitively expensive bikes, they've switched up and gone to direct/LSB hybrid model. They've got full carbon bikes starting around $3,000 that you can actually ride beforehand.

Another tip mentioned above is to look for demos. After riding it myself, I was able to get an Intense Primer with ~20 rides on it for $2,600 while keeping lifetime minor maintenance and a warranty since I bought it from a shop. Another strategy to keep in mind for cheap bikes.
    It sucks to suck.

It functions just fine, but it is generally super heavy and feels a bit looser / sloppier. I got NX 11sp with Level brakes on a Chameleon, and the brakes were far worse than the drivetrain. The NX cassette is a boat anchor, I replaced it with an old X01 cassette I had in my parts box, supplemented with a WT 46t giant cog. The NX shifter has a big fat mounting ring and isn't MMX compatible, so I replaced it with a GX. The NX paddle had a fair amount of slop in it and just felt plastic-y. I've left the NX RD in place because it's the least noticeable to the rider.