Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    As others have said, used bikes are definitely not automatically a false economy. Only buy in person. If it looks clapped out it probably is, but if it looks mint it probably is too. A lot of people really don't ride that hard. The real bitch is sizing. Great deals pop up all the time, but not necessarily in your size.

Take a hard, hard look at the Diamondback Release. It's a very well reviewed platform, and the Release 3 comes with premium components front-to-back for $2.5k.

Affordable bikes

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    $1,500USD can get you a pretty damn good used bike, but I would only recommend that approach if you have time to do all the research and know how to check out a used bike for red flags (and only buy used bikes in person IMO). If you are going new I would stretch the budget to the YT Jeffsy or Canyon trail bike, the base model YT Jeffsy is legit, capable and not a boat anchor, don't need to change a thing on it.
    This.

You should still be able to find some super deals on used bikes on pinkbike. Although, as the spring gets closer, all the hot deals will likely disappear with the snow.

Stepping up to the $2300 YT jeffsy is also great advice. That bike is highly regarded and you wouldn’t need to change a thing. And you have a warranty, although I have heard mixed reviews on YT’s customer service after the sale. Still, some warranty is better than none.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 02-08-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is my short list bike. If you can get a promotive deal the release 3 is 2000. Will report back when company bonus/income tax rolls

Name:  Mountain-Bikes-17-Release-3-Black-profile.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  58.1 KB
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

There are some great deals out there on used Intense bikes. The 2016/17 Recluse is a hell of a bike. $2Kish and you can send it all day on that beast. It feels like a 5010 with some beef cake suspension on it....

Yeah the Recluse builds with the Fox 36/X2 were always super appealing to me. If timing had been right on deals I may have ended up with one instead of my Jeffsy (which I am very happy with).

Hard to argue with the Diamondback if you get the promo pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/hawk-hill

Marin Hawk Hill.

https://nsmb.com/articles/2017-marin-hawk-hill/

I've chatted with Andrew (the guy that reviewed it above) a bunch about the kinematics of the Marin. They actually nailed it really good and it shows in his review. The suspension is arguably better than many 10K bikes on leverage ratio alone.

https://nsmb.com/articles/min-maxing...t-bikes-marin/
    That Marin looks sweet, I'll look into it a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    How tall are you? I'll keep my eyes open for something that looks good in the used mkt for your price range

There should be some good bikes to be had in your price range

And I hear you about how sometimes buying used is not the way- but I think it's sort of the opposite around here for mtb. We have so many summer sports in our region (climbing, fishing, biking, running, mtneering, working a zillion jobs) that a lot of people buy really nice bikes, dont use them and then sell them a few yrs later. So will keep my eyes peeled for you

what type of riding do you lean towards- longer trails or the pass trails/ targhee lift service?
    Appreciate it. Outside of snazzy colors and ignorance I wouldn't know if a used bike is any good or not. I used to ride exclusively on the pass and car shuttle, but am kinda over limping home most days and having my wife pick gravel out of my wounds, so more like black canyon type stuff at most. Going to be cruising cache creek and the big holes mostly.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Diamondback. It's dead easy to get a corporate code discount, no verification etc. PM me if you can't figure it out. The release 1 is ~$1500 shipped.
    This is the correct answer.

Catch 1 and Release 1 are about $1500 with the corporate code. Both have a 1x11 drivetrain, a Yari 35mm front fork, good tires, and usable platform pedals - in other words, ready to ride out of the box with no bunk parts. I set a friend up with a Catch 1 and he's doing great.

Look at Vitus bikes... you can get them from chainreactioncycles

My first bike was a Vitus Sommet (base model) and it rode really well. 27.5, 165mm travel, manitou fork, rockshox monarch+, decent brakes(cant remember what they were), nothing to complain about. Hard to get better components at the price point

After 2 years, I upgraded to a Devinci Spartan Carbon, which shockingly is heavier than my aluminum vitus was.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Does any brand make bikes (full suspension) that aren't rivaling the price of a new dirt bike? It seems a bit extreme that a full suspension bike costs as much as a new KLR650 in some cases, considering that bike is more capable, and also comes with an entire engine.
    This isn't fucking MTBR, so let's disprove the OMG MOUNTAIN BIKES COST AS MUCH AS MOTORCYCLES horseshit meme.

While that KLR650 looks like tons of fun, it's really equivalent to a $1000-$1500 (new) mountain bike - pretty good and practical for most all around riding, but not cutting edge high performance. So, call it a factor of motorcycles being 5x to 6x more expensive for the equivalent level of performance/style/quality/etc. Sure, you can spend $6k on a mountain bike, but the motorcycle equivalent is going to be a $30k chopper or modified superbike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    This isn't fucking MTBR, so let's disprove the OMG MOUNTAIN BIKES COST AS MUCH AS MOTORCYCLES horseshit meme.

While that KLR650 looks like tons of fun, it's really equivalent to a $1000-$1500 (new) mountain bike - pretty good and practical for most all around riding, but not cutting edge high performance. So, call it a factor of motorcycles being 5x to 6x more expensive for the equivalent level of performance/style/quality/etc. Sure, you can spend $6k on a mountain bike, but the motorcycle equivalent is going to be a $30k chopper or modified superbike.
    I totally agree. I ride a KLX 400 (basically a drz). It’s fine. Paid $2500 used. Has given little trouble and is mostly reliable. My buddies KTM enduro 650 is lighter, almost twice the power, more comfy, better in the woods and brand new, 2.5 times more expensive.

Well I bought a Diamondback Mason 2 today. 1100 out the door shipped to my place. Not the best corpo deal on there but I'm not going to spring for a full suspension just yet. Thoughts on the bike?
    Live Free or Die

^^^ Don't know a thing about that bike but for the price, how can you go wrong. Congrats. You DID get the Red one, Right?

Well I bought a Diamondback Mason 2 today. 1100 out the door shipped to my place. Not the best corpo deal on there but I'm not going to spring for a full suspension just yet. Thoughts on the bike?
    I usually steer people towards the Commencal Meta hardtails, but that mason is a good deal too. Nukeproof and vitus make some sweet hardtails, sold on CRC pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Good: decent spec overall, should be good for buff XC cruising for an entry level rider.

Bad: the brakes would scare me, probably fairly heavy

Random thoughts: XC bike meant for mellow trails with DHF and DHR tires seems like overkill? Could have gotten a better used bike for the money but buying used is scary, especially if you don't know bikes well. Should be a good entry level bike for getting out on trails and cruising around. I bet you will love it.

I have seen some good full suspension bikes new for under $1800 lately. The 2019 bikes are coming out now, so look for deals on all the 2018 stock.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Good: decent spec overall, should be good for buff XC cruising for an entry level rider.

Bad: the brakes would scare me, probably fairly heavy

Random thoughts: XC bike meant for mellow trails with DHF and DHR tires seems like overkill? Could have gotten a better used bike for the money but buying used is scary, especially if you don't know bikes well. Should be a good entry level bike for getting out on trails and cruising around. I bet you will love it.
    Yeah, I pretty much practice as a rule you shouldn't buy toys used. I think it was 50/50 for me buying used gear between deals and getting fucked. I also don't really know shit about bikes so I wouldn't be able to tell.

This will be used throughout the Teton Valley ID trail network mostly, maybe Phillips Ridge or Blacks on the pass at most. I'm hoping the 27.5+ rides plush like they say and if so it should be good enough for my needs.

Thanks for the input all!
    Live Free or Die

27.5 plus is very plush but its super sensitive to tire pressure. The sweet spot on my honzo is 16.5 psi in front and 18 in rear.

Of course that's going to change based on your tires, your weight, your bikes weight, personal taste, etc...

I recommend getting a digital tire gauge as the ones on pumps are usually crap and the sweet spot is small.

Too much air and its bouncy as duck. Too little and rolling resistance is terrible and it feels really dull and bogged down and you fuck up your rims.

Assuming you're running tubeless...

Looks who’s turning into a bike geek! I love it. Good on you mtngrrrl. Bike geekdom is a lifestyle!
    crab in my shoe mouth

What would you bargain hunters recommend for someone looking for for an aggressive trail/enduro bike? I've got a friend who is chronically broke but inherited a few thousand and wants to upgrade from his 2010(?) Santa Cruz Superlight. He mostly rides pretty intermediate trails but occasionally comes out to some better stuff with me in Pacifica or Santa Cruz, where his bike clearly holds him back. He's a pretty good rider due to background in motocross.

Anyways, he's said he'd like something with like 140mm-ish travel, preferably 29er. It needs to pedal well, but have slack enough geometry to play around on the rough stuff and hit some jumps. He's kinda irrationally focused on it being <30 lbs despite me trying to explain that he's not going to get that for his budget. He'd like to keep it under $3k.

What I've come up with:

Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 - $2400. This seems to have by far the best combo of components and decent geometry. Only downside for him is it's 27.5 instead of 29. It even would meet his impossible 30 lb weight target if he wasn't size large.

YT Capra 29 - $2500. This gets him a 29er with components that are in some cases better and some cases worse than the Spectral. It's got a Lyrik and a Super Deluxe instead of Pike/Deluxe, but it's got an E13 cassette instead of GX Eagle. Other nitpicks are 25mm rims instead of 30, can't fit a water bottle, and it is a porky SOB at over 32 lbs.

Commencal Meta AM 29 - $3000. Even more of a monster truck 29er than the Capra. Wheels are better, brakes are a bit worse. Drivetrain is NX Eagle which probably shifts better than E13, but the cassette will be a boat anchor and harder to upgrade (non-XD). Maybe a bit lighter, but not much.

GG Smash Ride 1 - $3000. This is the wildcard. The higher end Ride 1 build got great reviews on Pinkbike, and I want one for myself. Unfortunately GG had to really scrimp on components to hit the $3k target. The brakes are garbo. The fork actually got OK reviews on PB too. The NX drivetrain is super heavy, but shifts ok. I think he'd have to drop closer to $3200 to make it OK.

What other contenders am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    What would you bargain hunters recommend for someone looking for for an aggressive trail/enduro bike? I've got a friend who is chronically broke but inherited a few thousand and wants to upgrade from his 2010(?) Santa Cruz Superlight. He mostly rides pretty intermediate trails but occasionally comes out to some better stuff with me in Pacifica or Santa Cruz, where his bike clearly holds him back. He's a pretty good rider due to background in motocross.

Anyways, he's said he'd like something with like 140mm-ish travel, preferably 29er. It needs to pedal well, but have slack enough geometry to play around on the rough stuff and hit some jumps. He's kinda irrationally focused on it being <30 lbs despite me trying to explain that he's not going to get that for his budget. He'd like to keep it under $3k.

What other contenders am I missing?
    Is he only looking at new stuff?

A yt jeffsy seems like it fits better into the criteria than the capra.

Maybe look at one of the new stumpy evo's?

Also worth looking at: devinci troy - alu version comes out in the fall. (won't be under 30 lbs though)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hard to beat those picks. For trail/enduro I thought you’d be looking at the jeffsy instead of the Capra . Jeffsy with a rock shock fork and spend an extra $100 and make the fork 20mm linger travel. Noce bikes. Friend picked up a carbon 27.5. It’s 150/150. A 170 fork wouldn’t hamper climbing much at all but it’ll handle any downs and really dial in the angles

This will be used throughout the Teton Valley ID trail network mostly, maybe Phillips Ridge or Blacks on the pass at most. I'm hoping the 27.5+ rides plush like they say and if so it should be good enough for my needs.

Thanks for the input all!
    That bike will be perfect for Nemo's, Grumpy's, Horseshoe loops, etc.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Assuming you're running tubeless...
    Everything I read implied I should, and I do like it comes “tubeless ready”. Did I just buy into a sales pitch and does it still require mods?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That bike will be perfect for Nemo's, Grumpy's, Horseshoe loops, etc.
    That’s my game plan. I live right by the Nemo’s trailhead, to which, if memory serves, I thank you for building!

That’s my game plan. I live right by the Nemo’s trailhead, to which, if memory serves, I thank you for building!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident