On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

So, what did I do to my knee?

Calling the armchair orthos and 7th Day Dentists (had to steal that one from Bunion).

Trying to ski like I am still 20 about two weeks ago I did a 3 at big sky off a small natural kicker thing. Only 10 or 15 feet. Landed maybe slightly over rotated and my left ski came off and I kinda skied away on one ski. Well, the back of my left knee started to hurt pretty soon after. It was the end of the day. I did two more runs and didn't feel any weekness or anything at all, but definite pain once I got back to the parking lot.

Sore all week, but I skied again next weekend no problem. It actually feels best when skiing or running (I just ran 50 gates at DIA trying to catch a connection.) Now sitting down 30 minutes later it is cooling down and starting to hurt a bit. Kinda burning in back of the knee up my hammy a bit and down the calf into the sole of my foot.

I have skied about 4 or 5 days since this happened and it's always fine when skiing. What hurts is when I am at work crawling around on my knees like an idiot installing some equipment. My left kneecap kinda slides around and pops only when kneeling on it.

I know I should go to the doc and get the MRI, but I am being stubborn here.

Vague cluster of symptoms you have. Any swelling or joint line tenderness medial or lateral? Maybe meniscus vs Bakers cyst but difficult to diagnose over the interwebz. Google “Thessaly Test”, perform, and get back to us. Best of luck!

No swelling. Almost feels like my hamstring was pulled too hard or something. Gonna do the thessaly test soon.

Edit: Ok, so I just did that thessaly test like a weirdo in the airport lol. No pain in the knee or any catching sensation. Hmmm. Maybe I just pulled my hamstring really bad.

Sounds like you dun fucked it up, son.

HTH.

If it hurts when you do that, don't do that.
    Holiday I. Express, MD

That'll be $200. Thx.

I pulled my hamstring (diagnosed by physical therapist, no fancy images) falling off a skinny and landing weird on an outstretched leg.

It was really painful at first and I was worried I broke something knee. There was a lot of burning behind my knee, and after 3 weeks I could ride pain free, and that did make it feel better. Running was a no go, and walking a lot made it stiff and sore, too. I think it took about 3 months to completely heal, but I was riding my bike a lot which may have delayed healing.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    but I was riding my bike a lot which may have delayed healing.
    Or made it heal quicker.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It's called not being 23. You'll be fine in a week.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Or made it heal quicker.
    Except I was just learning and every time I put that leg down hard there would better weird shock vibration thing

Spinning often helps knee issues. YMMV
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Does not hurt while skiing but hurts while working ?

Easy solution: quit your job and ski every day, duh.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Does not hurt while skiing but hurts while working ?

Easy solution: quit your job and ski every day, duh.
    Your medical ideas intrigue me...

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

1) you probably strained some things, it's amazing how much torque you can put on your knee spinning 3s and landing...
    2) unless it was really bad they'd start with just x rays (generally)
    3) how's your insurance? You may just get a script for some PT.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Spinning often helps knee issues. YMMV
    It wasn't a knee thing it was hamstring. The spinning was good. The attempted mountain bike stunts was bad.

Maybe I'm just getting old. Hurt like a bastard this morning. 4 tram laps of blower later and it feels great!

Damn, wet shit on this side of the divide.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Calling the armchair orthos and 7th Day Dentists (had to steal that one from Bunion).

Trying to ski like I am still 20 about two weeks ago I did a 3 at big sky off a small natural kicker thing. Only 10 or 15 feet. Landed maybe slightly over rotated and my left ski came off and I kinda skied away on one ski. Well, the back of my left knee started to hurt pretty soon after. It was the end of the day. I did two more runs and didn't feel any weekness or anything at all, but definite pain once I got back to the parking lot.

Sore all week, but I skied again next weekend no problem. It actually feels best when skiing or running (I just ran 50 gates at DIA trying to catch a connection.) Now sitting down 30 minutes later it is cooling down and starting to hurt a bit. Kinda burning in back of the knee up my hammy a bit and down the calf into the sole of my foot.

I have skied about 4 or 5 days since this happened and it's always fine when skiing. What hurts is when I am at work crawling around on my knees like an idiot installing some equipment. My left kneecap kinda slides around and pops only when kneeling on it.

I know I should go to the doc and get the MRI, but I am being stubborn here.
    Kinda sounds like my torn meniscus.

But just as easily could be a simple tear in a muscle or tendon.

If it’s a muscle tear then it should heal up with minimal rehab. Maybe stretch it gently.

If you find yourself in a constant cycle like I did: go hard at activities and feels fine but gets sore and stiff for days afterwards, rest then feels better, go hard and feels fine but gets sore and stiff for days afterwards, repeat..
    Then get someone to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Felt great all night. Felt maybe 90% this morning going to work. An hour or two into work I forgot about it and knelt down on concrete to work on something. Damn! Knee cap slides around and then it starts to hurt again the rest of the day. So weird.

On the whole it does feel better than it did a week or two ago. Gonna give it one more ski weekend (trying a brace this weekend) and if it still is fucked up next week i'll go to an ortho. Got new health insurance so I guess I should use it.