WTB: Riot Hammer

Not looking to much money, but hoping that somebody might have a line on an old hammer sitting in somebody's garage or under their deck. The hammer was one of those boats that I really wanted when I was getting into boating, but never bought for one reason or another.

I'm located in NW Montana, but my business has drivers and vehicles all around the US at different times.

Thanks in advance,

Seth

how's about an ultralight Trixster?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I actually already have a Trixter. . . horribly cramped for my feet, unfortunately. I really liked Corran Addison as a designer and owned a good number of his boats all the way back to his days with Savage. I just noticed (today) that he's designing boats again with "Soul", which appears to be his latest venture.

Seth

ya that Soul 333 looks fkn rad, a glass design out of plastic. Was the Hammer after the Scorpion? I think I have a OG Scorpion hat laying around somewhere.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Korn is pretty good guy, I almost met him once but was getting drunk and eating shrooms at the Gfest and got distracted by hippie boat chicks.

Checked my Facebook feed and yesterday was Corrans birthday so happy birthday to one of my favorite boat designers.
    Last edited by scottyb; 02-07-2018 at 06:07 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Funny. This all sent me down memory lane. I started making a list of the boats that I owned. Full disclosure, I ran an ACA whitewater kayak school while I was in college and I had a working relationship with Riot. However, that relationship existed because I really loved Corran's designs. I paddled other boats, but his seemed to come to life more than others. I was never much into his way of promoting his brand, but it did seem to work for him.

One thing that has stayed with me over the years is an old drawing of a Riot "Saiko" (Psycho?) from an early brochure. Occasionally throughout the years I would think back on that picture of a boat where the bow and stern split in the middle and splayed outward. According to the brochure, this boat would "change everything" in the world of Paddling. Typical Corran rhetoric. :-) The closest thing that was product was the Teckno which had a very tempered split in bow and stern. I owned this boat and remember it being crazy fast on a wave.

A few days ago I decided I'd try to contact Corran and find out if the boat was ever built. I sent him an email through the Soul "contact us" webform. He wrote back with the following reply:

Hi Seth, there was a final Saiko, but it sucked lol. I do not have any images unfortunately, but it had differed quite a lot by the time it was prototyped from the original drawing.

Corran

I'm sure there were probably a lot of ideas like that that led to the production boats that really excelled - boats like the Glide.

Speaking of the Glide, I have an old collector's item collected dust next to my Trixter. It's a Kevlar Glide with a hull much like what later became the Showbiz. It's got to be at least 26-27" wide, so hard to roll. I pulled the powerseat (still have it) and tried to convert it to a C1. Not long after I broke my ankle and can't kneel in there anymore (ankle doesn't articulate all the way anymore). I'll try to get pictures up when the snow melts. It was one of Brad Ludden's boats. We went to the same highschool and I now live in the same neighborhood as his parents.

We crossed paths a few times and I safety boated a few trips for First Descents when they did trips on the Middle Fork of the Flathead river where I was guiding and teaching.

Man, I'm getting old.

Seth

I used to have a disco, 1st of the small planing hulls but it was too narrow in front to do blunts

the Riot specific spray deck was a pain, fortunately the guy who sold it to me included a deck and I sold the boat with it

Not sure I understand why you would want old Riots ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I used to have a disco, 1st of the small planing hulls but it was too narrow in front to do blunts

the Riot specific spray deck was a pain, fortunately the guy who sold it to me included a deck and I sold the boat with it

Not sure I understand why you would want old Riots ?
    The hammer was a specific niche boat that hasn't really been replicated. Corran designed it in part in response to the gravitational pull of the Southeast boating/boat company scene. Everything was designed for low-volume micro-creeking, and he'd moved from the SE up to Canada and wanted something that could handle high volume, big drops with big holes, while still in the mindset of planing over features with speed.

I think I'd buy one if I saw it for the novelty as well. I've got two discos, a glide, and a dominatrix though so I'm of that mindset. I keep wanting to buy one of his new Soul boats but the reports on construction quality are pretty low. Quite far from hand-crafted at this point. And Corran's whole biz model over the last decade has been startup, sellout, repeat. I still give him credit for the most important innovations in boat design over the last 25 years. Those days of creeking in a Glide were golden. That boat taught you to paddle like you ski; always one edge engaged. And yes it kept your roll solid. Late 90s I paddled that down everything. You've got to be putting in 100 days a year on the water to be comfortable in the aggressive Riot and Drago designs.