Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Yea nice one!!!

I know people who travel the world chasing Permit.

I don't remember seeing pics of any that big.

Nice Work.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Strong work on that big pompano I bet it took you deep into the bend of your tenkara! And lets not neglect the silver king that was nabbed too. Fuck that was a productive outing....

Thanks guys. I saw the backing on 6 different trips out and in on the permit, and it took just over an hour to land. I caught it the same afternoon as that tarpon. I've caught permit before but that was my first access to baby tarpon and that shit is addictive!

And the bonefish that day?...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

A few weeks back but dags that hate water make great boat dags.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180525_145422.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	241083

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    And the bonefish that day?...

Hells yeah! grand slam baby. I was futzing around with the tarpon in the lagoon in the background of that photo that morning and the guide says "bonies coming our way. you want to catch them?" Well, hell yes, I do after trout setting about 3 tarpon, so I grabbed the 6 weight and caught a couple of small bonefish. I was doubly glad I had done that when I hooked up with the permit at about 3:30 that afternoon.

Birdhunter, I was fishing the Dream Stream...no, actually Ascension Bay Mexico. I spent 3 days fishing out of Grand Slam Lodge just north of Punta Allen. Top notch trip, so I definitely recommend them. It's pricey, but high quality digs, food and service, and I was traveling with the wife, and she will not abide "dude trip" level accommodations if there is an alternative available.

This is Mr Mike tenkara training for his GRAND SLAM!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlDhtZwF...=1o83j9azis65b
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

thanks, that's mighty nice of ya

missed a shit load of these guys due to their super slow eats, need to adjust for the next few days and slow way down

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Hells yeah! grand slam baby. I was futzing around with the tarpon in the lagoon in the background of that photo that morning and the guide says "bonies coming our way. you want to catch them?" Well, hell yes, I do after trout setting about 3 tarpon, so I grabbed the 6 weight and caught a couple of small bonefish. I was doubly glad I had done that when I hooked up with the permit at about 3:30 that afternoon.

Birdhunter, I was fishing the Dream Stream...no, actually Ascension Bay Mexico. I spent 3 days fishing out of Grand Slam Lodge just north of Punta Allen. Top notch trip, so I definitely recommend them. It's pricey, but high quality digs, food and service, and I was traveling with the wife, and she will not abide "dude trip" level accommodations if there is an alternative available.
    I've been twice, and both times was post or pre-storm, so the water was up, and we saw 1 permit total during the 2 trips. Doesn't matter. I like the 6 for bones there as well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

This is a really fishy spot. A long chute of unwadeable class III water dumps into this outwash run; the rainbows stack up here eating stonefly nymphs during runoff. Unfortunately, once you are up in it, there is no good place to unsling your pack and get out the phone for pics. I tried to walk a pig back to this "beach" for his photo op but he wouldn't cooperate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180714_135516 (2).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	241501

Never walk and fish because the fuckers are right there at the water's edge.
    Exhibit A.

Six inches off the trail and on a prime fishing hole right in front of a school of risers. Never buzzed once. I got to three feet and then I saw him move. That's canyon fishing. First, you look for the snake, then you cast.

Haven’t walked it in a while after having an encounter scared the shit out of me.
    This is what Schwerty would call a shit-yer-pants rattler.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180714_112016 (2).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	241502
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.

That's nuts, I've fished that neck of the woods pretty good the last 6 years and last year finally had my first rattler encounter, the thing was so lethargic it hardly moved. Guess I've just been lucky! I bird hunt the rim pretty hard, but not until some freezes just in case.

Yup, ND. I woulda shit myself.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    #icemanmastrigsinjeans
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    That's nuts, I've fished that neck of the woods pretty good the last 6 years and last year finally had my first rattler encounter, the thing was so lethargic it hardly moved. Guess I've just been lucky! I bird hunt the rim pretty hard, but not until some freezes just in case.
    I don't know how that is possible. I saw one my very first time in. Took less than a half hour. It was on a ledge on the bypass above the cliffs where you took that pic a few years ago. I saw two on Saturday. There was a fat four footer lying under a shady bush (directly in the trail) only 300 feet upstream of the one in my pic. I probably run across four or five a year at a minimum so that's somewhere in the vicinity of 100 close encounters so far. When the tall grass starts to go to seed in July, be really, really careful. The grass is swarming with voles collecting seeds. The abundant prey draws the snakes down the canyon walls and into the riparian zone. You want to see some big snakes? Go poke around the power house on a hot day. It won't take you long to find one. The whole lower creek canyon area there is fucking infested with them. That's a place where I don't even want to get out of the water if I don't have to.

Still, it's a way more relaxing place for me to be than the Warm River or anywhere in the upper Fall River watershed. I'm ten times more nervous hunting for shrooms around Togwotee. It amuses me that some people are afraid of snakes but then go blithely hiking around in primo grizz habitat. When was the last time a rattlesnake ran someone down, killed and ate them? That's happened four or five times since I moved here, not to mention more maulings than I can even remember. I've only heard one story of a guy losing his arm to a Bitch Creek rattler and a few reports of bitten dogs. No contest, if ya ask me...
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-16-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Word, I've always felt the odds of getting bit through waders were somewhat lowered but who knows.

Funny you mention that, 2 summers in a row Brown Bears (maybe the same one) were sighted in that very stretch of canyon in August/September enjoying the shade and cool water. Rob who you probably know from FG, suspects they come down Badger Cr with some frequency.

Word, I've always felt the odds of getting bit through waders were somewhat lowered but who knows.

Funny you mention that, 2 summers in a row Brown Bears (maybe the same one) were sighted in that very stretch of canyon in August/September enjoying the shade and cool water. Rob who you probably know from FG, suspects they come down Badger Cr with some frequency.
    That was actually confirmed? With tracks or hair? Cuz anecdotal sightings....well, let's just say I know a guy who'll swear he saw Bigfoot down in there and a moose can look a lot like bigfoot or a brown bear when seen at the bottom of a deep canyon from 3000 ft away

Were they in the main canyon or up in Badger? Doesn't seem like there would be much of anything for them to eat in the main canyon. Not too much in Badger either. There's some thimbleberry in Badger but not a lot. Those must be real stupid bears because in August any grizz with half a brain is up in the high country flipping rocks for cuttworm moths. That's their biggest source of fat for the entire year...seems sort of unlikely that they could afford to skip out on that for some cool water and shade. Cool water doesn't do much to help a bear survive hibernation. Unless... I wonder if some of the talus in the canyons holds moths? Great, another thing to worry about.

I'm sort of skeptical. I've never seen disturbed talus down there and I know what it looks like. Never seen bear tracks or shit down there. Not in 250 trips. I have, however, seen lion tracks bigger than my hand. Saw a lone wolf stalking calving mulies over by Spring Hollow two years ago.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-16-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    That was actually confirmed? With tracks or hair? Cuz anecdotal sightings....well, let's just say I know a guy who'll swear he saw Bigfoot down in there and a moose can look a lot like bigfoot or a brown bear when seen at the bottom of a deep canyon from 3000 ft away

Were they in the main canyon or up in Badger? Doesn't seem like there would be much of anything for them to eat in the main canyon. Not too much in Badger either. There's some thimbleberry in Badger but not a lot. Those must be real stupid bears because in August any grizz with half a brain is up in the high country flipping rocks for cuttworm moths. That's their biggest source of fat for the entire year...seems sort of unlikely that they could afford to skip out on that for some cool water and shade. Cool water doesn't do much to help a bear survive hibernation. I wonder if some of the talus in the canyons holds moths?
    Confirmed with hair/scat. Friends of the River has game cam photos as well from the main canyon. Looked to be a juvenile(s) who was probably staking out his own territory away from mature boars. Agreed on the moths, I would hope he headed back up the hill!

[QUOTE=snapt;5391462]Friends of the River has game cam photos as well from the main canyon/QUOTE]

Specifically where?

Photos were near the powerhouse, scat and hair were collected from properties around 1000 West of 32. I bumped into F&G Hun hunting and was warned to keep an eye out. Must have bee mid September given the bird timing.

Photos were near the powerhouse, scat and hair were collected from properties around 1000 West of 32. I bumped into F&G Hun hunting and was warned to keep an eye out. Must have bee mid September given the bird timing.
    I assume you mean W 10000 N? Thanks for the info. Really. That's some of the most valuable info I've ever gotten from TGR.

Did I ever tell the story about the time I chased a full grown grizzly sow out of my drive way? No lie. I hissed at it like Cesar Milan does problem dogs on The Dog Whisperer. It ran away like a little bitch. Hopefully, I'll never repeat that experiment again.

Wydaho circle jerk, jerkoffs.
    This thread is for tenkara and childish rants.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Wydaho circle jerk, jerkoffs.

This thread is for tenkara and childish rants, candy-ass montana creeks you can wade with a three year old and boat bitch water for old stoners who can't hike in to good fishing.

fify

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I assume you mean W 10000 N? Thanks for the info. Really. That's some of the most valuable info I've ever gotten from TGR.

Did I ever tell the story about the time I chased a full grown grizzly sow out of my drive way? No lie. I hissed at it like Cesar Milan does problem dogs on The Dog Whisperer. It ran away like a little bitch. Hopefully, I'll never repeat that experiment again.
    Was that the one on the East Side of the valley with a collar being a nuisance a few years back? I know a few people who had run ins with that one.

Underpants, I caught a fish last night. It was like the 3rd time I've fished this year. It was fun.

My kid caught a fish Sunday.

ND - I hear ya on the bear vs grizzle territory. Bears scare me more than they used to. But, I still hate venomous snakes. If you fish that canyon, you have a good chance at seeing a couple, at least in my experience. I wade the upper fall and Bechler area a couple ties a year and float or wade the Buff over here 15ish days a year. Been on that program for two decades. Backpacked and fished all over those bear infested regions and rarely have I encounter one. Maybe I just have good bear luck.

Those fuckin rattlers down there though seem to find me and make me poop my shorts. I admire your bravery!

I’ll stick to floating that one.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    got my salt life ass kicked again but gots to hang with captain ice
    catch buzzes and go way faster than ya gits in the drifty

got out on the sups the last day

and had a few good shots n grabs but no

ate well

saw an old man im fond of jam again

and enjoyed salty rises and sets

and got icey life coached
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno