Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solo

Durham Bulls do a pretty decent Star Wars Night game. We're going for about the 4th year in a row. Looks good the weather does...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

This may be the first Star Wars film I don’t see. The Solo trailers actually look good, so it’s not that. I just think I’m over it now, and the last Jedi was enough.

^^

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hah! That's cool.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Alderaan ---> Canceled

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Alderaan ---> Canceled
    Spoiler Alert????
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

A few new clips in here. Has a Shane Black sort of Lethal Weapon-esque feel.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Got mah tickets. 7pm showing Saturday night and then a follow up viewing at noon the next day.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

I liked it. Not as good as Rogue One because you knew Solos backstory already but a lot of fun.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Little haircut, little hibachi and then Solo time.

It was just ok. Agreed it wasn't as good as Rouge One. He went overboard on hamming it up, too much cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    This may be the first Star Wars film I don’t see. The Solo trailers actually look good, so it’s not that. I just think I’m over it now, and the last Jedi was enough.
    looks like you're not alone.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ruggle-1114854

"'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Struggling to Hit $110M in U.S., Crashes Overseas"

I imagine the public is starting to say they have had enough too.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Saw it. It was fun, but it was just a couple characters backstory. Not a massive epic good v evil fight. Just some fun backstory on characters. I really liked Woody and Daniel Glover as Lando was great.

I can't imagine Disney spent too much on this one either. They'll do just fine even if it 'bombs' at 250 million total.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

And nevermind, I just saw what they spent on this. They got to stop it with the 'hire the wrong guy and then reshoot it later' mantra

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Mmmmm Khaleesi with dark hair.

Best part of the movie IMHO.

It was no Rogue One, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    I liked it. Not as good as Rogue One because you knew Solos backstory already but a lot of fun.
    How did you already know Solo's backstory unless you read some of the novels, which, btw, are not canon?

I liked the film. Personally, it's the only one of the new films that I would consider seeing a second time.

Not sure why everybody creams over Rogue One as it was just another Death Star movie, to me. But to each their own.

Solo, while it started slow, gained steam once Chewbacca was introduced (IMHO). Full disclosure: I have a soft spot for Chewie; he's always been my favorite SW character since A New Hope...

Thandie Newton kicked ass with an afro and Donald Glover as Lando was clutch. But to me, it was all about the back-and-forth between Han and Chewie. I laughed. I (almost) cried. I had a good time. Again, the relationship between Han and Chewie saved the film for me.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Solo's backstory from Canon sources? Hustler, scoundrel, card player. Won the Falcon from Lando in a card game. Did the Kessel run in 12 parsecs. Chewie (according to the old non-canon novels) owes Han a life debt for rescuing him, and it extended to Leia when they married (even without the life debt part, why is chewie hanging out with Han and Leia?). Got into smuggling for Jabba on Tattoine and ended up with a price on his head. Doesn't like the empire. A neutral character that wants to be good.

The movie connected all of those dots.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Solo's backstory from Canon sources? Hustler, scoundrel, card player. Won the Falcon from Lando in a card game. Did the Kessel run in 12 parsecs. Chewie (according to the old non-canon novels) owes Han a life debt for rescuing him, and it extended to Leia when they married (even without the life debt part, why is chewie hanging out with Han and Leia?). Got into smuggling for Jabba on Tattoine and ended up with a price on his head. Doesn't like the empire. A neutral character that wants to be good.

The movie connected all of those dots.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS IN MY REPLY...

Yeah, fair enough.
    After I gave it some thought, we did basically know Solo's "story" from all the things he's said in the original trilogy. Only thing we didn't know, per se, was his stint as a Fagen-styled street urchin.

The bit about the "life debt", I believe is alluded to in Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures and the game of sabacc, to the best of my limited nerd knowledge, first appeared in L. Neil Smith's Lando Calrissian novels, so those are two non-canon elements that popped up in the film (I do love how Disney re-arranged what is canon and what is "legend" after purchasing Lucasfilm, but then they still manage to intermingle the two).

While I really enjoyed Solo: A Star Wars Story, thinking back on how we pretty much already knew the Cliff's Notes version of Han's story, from the bits and pieces he has mentioned over the course of the films his character has been in, it really makes this movie kind of non-essential.

In many ways the film takes away all the mystery and mystique surrounding Solo. It was kind of cool not to really know what the Kessel Run was, but to imagine it as something harrowing and dangerous; it was kind of cool to not know how Han and Chewie met, as well.

In fact, I now feel that they missed a great opportunity in regards to his flight academy years. They kind of rushed through all the somewhat "essential" history to get to the Kessel run. It might have been cool to have shown him flunking out of flight training...

Saw it tonight. Wasn’t bad but it didn’t do much for me. Glad I saw it tho. Some funny interaction btwn Han and Chewy.

I liked it more than Last Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    POTENTIAL SPOILERS IN MY REPLY...

Yeah, fair enough.
    After I gave it some thought, we did basically know Solo's "story" from all the things he's said in the original trilogy. Only thing we didn't know, per se, was his stint as a Fagen-styled street urchin.

The bit about the "life debt", I believe is alluded to in Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures and the game of sabacc, to the best of my limited nerd knowledge, first appeared in L. Neil Smith's Lando Calrissian novels, so those are two non-canon elements that popped up in the film (I do love how Disney re-arranged what is canon and what is "legend" after purchasing Lucasfilm, but then they still manage to intermingle the two)....
    That’s interesting. My son and I are reading Chuck Wendig’s novels (which I think are canon) and Han alludes to the fact the it is he who owes a life debt to Chewie.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I liked it more than Last Jedi.
    That’s not a high bar. Still, I think I’m over the Star Wars thing. Don’t need to see any more.

Thought it was very, very good.

Ehrenreich was excellent. As was Harrelson and Glover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Best think-piece I've read on why Solo "tanked":

https://www.theringer.com/2018/5/29/...p-consequences