Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head Kore skis

Head Kore skis

Anyone skied on them....esp the 105

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Skied a couple runs on the 105. Decently damp for how light they are. And, while not a burly charger, they're not a noodle either. I think their stated sidecut radius is highly suspect - they feel much straighter, which I think is a good thing.

For that genre of ski ( directional mid fat / daily driver that's not a heavy, metal infused charger), it's one of the better options I've tried.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I keep grabbing our shops demo 105.

Things I noticed and like:
    1. Mount point is far back giving you a nice big tip which also may attribute to the next 2 items on the list.

2. They are light and agile but some how seem to ski heavier than their weight. When the going gets rough they some how don't get bounced around as much as other skis in this weight class. I normally prefer a ski this size to be ~ 2100 -2200 grams. I am not saying it skis like a 2200 gr. ski but it's certainly well behaved for its weight.

3. There are way to many skis in the 17-19m crowd these days as Toast stated they seem to turn longer than their printed radius which for me is a huge plus and differentiates them from the crowd. They are damp and stable and will do longer turns when locked in with ease but are still super agile and easy to get around when wanted.

4. Maybe its just been the dense snow we have been getting but they float way better than I thought they would with their minimal rocker. The flex is nice and even so the tips don't give up, as long as you're moving you can stay afloat.

5. I wish they made this ski in a 110 waist but will settle for the 105... I think I am gonna snag a pair while we still have them.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I put a little time on the 105 a couple of years ago at the WWSRA NW demo. The truly shocking aspect of that ski was the damp, silky feel on the snow. Didn't feel anything like most other lightwight skis. Great feel on the snow. They held well on groomers and readily made a variety of turn shapes at various speeds. That's the good; now the bad. As there was virtually no untracked snow to be had I took them into some fairly firm, 8" deep chop (typical resort off-piste) they got the shit kicked out of them. The minimal weight, tip shape, rocker and sidecut are not optimal for these kind of inconsistent conditions. They deflected and got bounced around a lot. More than just about any ski I tried that day. I'm sure they would be great fun in consistent snow conditions, but in chop they reminded me of a lightweight ski with lots of rocker, tapered tip, and tight sidecut radius. About what you would expect from a similarly shaped touring ski. That's my observation, YMMV.

LT

they are fun when it's smooth. get knocked around bad in firm chunky shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    I put a little time on the 105 a couple of years ago at the WWSRA NW demo. The truly shocking aspect of that ski was the damp, silky feel on the snow. Didn't feel anything like most other lightwight skis. Great feel on the snow. They held well on groomers and readily made a variety of turn shapes at various speeds. That's the good; now the bad. As there was virtually no untracked snow to be had I took them into some fairly firm, 8" deep chop (typical resort off-piste) they got the shit kicked out of them. The minimal weight, tip shape, rocker and sidecut are not optimal for these kind of inconsistent conditions. They deflected and got bounced around a lot. More than just about any ski I tried that day. I'm sure they would be great fun in consistent snow conditions, but in chop they reminded me of a lightweight ski with lots of rocker, tapered tip, and tight sidecut radius. About what you would expect from a similarly shaped touring ski. That's my observation, YMMV.

LT
    Are you sure you're talking about the right ski? Pretty sure they didn't exist a couple years ago, and they don't have a ton of rocker or a particularly tapered tip.

LT
    I think last winter was the first time they were available for demo, this is the first year they've been for sale. My experience was the same as yours with the Kore 93 and the 105. I demoed them back to back and followed up with a Monster 88. In the conditions you're talking about the Monster was way better. They would make a good touring ski but wouldn't be my first choice for a resort daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Are you sure you're talking about the right ski? Pretty sure they didn't exist a couple years ago, and they don't have a ton of rocker or a particularly tapered tip.

If he went to the rep show he could have skied on 2017 product in 2016...

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    If he went to the rep show he could have skied on 2017 product in 2016...
    I was under the impression that they only hit production last winter. So maybe at the very end of 2016, at the earliest.

Yeah, it was at the dealer on-snow demo, Mission Ridge, the first week of Feb. 2016. The shops get to try all the gear the season before it comes available to the public. As luck would have it, that's were the wife and I are going tomorrow and Wednesday to play with the 18/19 shit! Plus, we occasionally get to try select products even before the demo..........Like the M5 Mantra I was on yesterday.

Unicorn. Yes, the Kore skis are kind of the opposite of the Monsters in the conditions at which each excels.

Yeah, it was at the dealer on-snow demo, Mission Ridge, the first week of Feb. 2016. The shops get to try all the gear the season before it comes available to the public. As luck would have it, that's were the wife and I are going tomorrow and Wednesday to play with the 18/19 shit! Plus, we occasionally get to try select products even before the demo..........Like the M5 Mantra I was on yesterday.

Unicorn. Yes, the Kore skis are kind of the opposite of the Monsters in the conditions at which each excels.
    off topic, but please report back with Mantra review in the Mantra thread. Thx!

a little early maybe but any beta on mount point for the new 99?

Thanks Unicorn, this is just the information I was looking for. Now I just need to find a pair of Monsters!

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Demo'd the 105 189cm last year, thought it was excellent. Think I had them adjust the demo bindings -1 or -2. Much more substantial than my 193 enforcer 100's, yet lighter.

the 105 felt planky IME. although, definitely felt better at speed than the enforcers, which flies in the face of many metal laminate assumptions. my problem with the Kore was keeping the binders attached to the skis.
    bumps are for poor people

First post!

I demo'd the Kore 99s near the end of last season, at Okemo's Jackson Gore. First two runs were in the woods, Black Hole then Supernova, and despite the skied-out conditions I found the Kores to have that magical combination of nimble/playful yet responsive when I needed them to be. I am a big dude (6-1, 235) and ski hard, which probably helped as far as their reputation for jumping around in chop and crud. I could drive them through everything with relative ease.

Last run was at mach speed down Big Bang, and the Kores ran smooth as can be. Very impressive skis.

Skied the 117s for a few weeks, most impressive big mtn ski I've ever tried. They performed incredibly well in every type of backcountry snow I encountered.
    Drive slow, homie.

Tell us more about keeping the binders attached to the skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    the 105 felt planky IME. although, definitely felt better at speed than the enforcers, which flies in the face of many metal laminate assumptions. my problem with the Kore was keeping the binders attached to the skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Tell us more about keeping the binders attached to the skis.
    I second this. I’m thinking about putting touring bindings on a pair of 117s but this comment concerns me.

Kore vs. Big Dump

How do Kores compare to Dynastar Big Dumps?

Edit: Confused the Kore with Monsters. How do the Monster 108ti compare anyways since it seems like some people here have tried them?

Cross posted from the Kore 93 thread :
    I just grabbed a pair of 189 Kore 93 on sale. Intended use : Resort use, as a all-mountain-one-ski-quiver. It will se a lot of groomers and the occasional off piste venture. Nothing deep, no touring.
    The mounting point seems very far back, and I'm considering a +1 or +1.5 mount. (That's also what Blister recommends for the larger Kore.)
    Any thoughts ?
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Any reviews of the 2020 Head Kore 105 - specifically as a touring ski?

The skimonster has the weight of a 180 @ 1750 grams which makes it a good option for touring - although maybe a bit too short for my liking (main ski's are 184 billygoat and 184 moment exit world)

https://theskimonster.com/products/head-kore-105/

I'm considering the Kore 105 vs BC Corvus vs 4frnt MSP 107 as an everyday (west) ski. With four (mounted) skis now, somehow none is a good do-everything. I'm aiming for wide enough for a pow day, minimal or no camber to keep em quick and pivoty in trees, enough sidecut to hold a good edge. I'm thinking any of these three would serve pretty well. My heart is with the MSP but the Kore 105 looks like a swiss army knife, especially with a shift or tecton on it. Hmmm

For what it’s worth, possibly nothing, I did a quick look at a pit of 93s at a shop and they had a lot of camber.

Head Kore skis

Also considering Kore 105s with Shifts or Tectons. They are around for approx. $320US in Canada these days. And Shifts are cheaper now too.

There may be a lot more skinning the local hills next year...cause who knows what the ski hills will be like next winter. Vail will f’ it up somehow at Whistler I’m sure. Cancel our passes and make us buy set days? And Mt Baker may be closed to us Canadians if the border stays shut. A good excuse to buy more skis.

Go 100mm or 110mm on the Shift brake for a Kore 105? I have the 110mm brake on some Shifts on 2019 R11s, which are 112mm waist.

Any issues with top sheet chipping on the Kores?

Also re mount point. I’ve always been against -10 or -11 mounts. My local shop guy says the Head pros ride the Kores at a minimum of +4cm from rec, or at approx -6cm from true centre. Which is where I’d mount. Anyone else heard this?

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 07-02-2020 at 10:19 PM.