Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kauai Questions

Bump cuz I’m here. We’re mostly been on the north side for the week, but probably heading over to Waimea Cyn tomorrow. We’ve got a late evening flight, so pretty much have all day over there.
    Any recommendations for cool hikes and/or spots to check out?
    No kids, just 2 sporty adults.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Bump cuz I’m here. We’re mostly been on the north side for the week, but probably heading over to Waimea Cyn tomorrow. We’ve got a late evening flight, so pretty much have all day over there.
    Any recommendations for cool hikes and/or spots to check out?
    No kids, just 2 sporty adults.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    If you have a car go up the road to kalalau lookout& stop at the pullouts along the way for views. The main lookout is worth a stop too&a local Hawaiian gives talks everyday there about their culture and whatnot. At Kalalau lookout, hop over the fence & hike down the trail. **Only on a sunny day,** it’s sorta sketchy with some exposed cliffs but amazing views. It is a really fun run& their are other hikes along the way but this was best one I did.

Be at very end of the road at Polihale for sunset. Big cliffs meet the sandy beach & huge waves. Don’t go in just take it all in. Apparently the locals put on quite the show after sunset ripping around in their 4x4’s.

If you are in kapaa, $10 surfing rentals/day(near the hostel) & rent bikes to rip over to kealia beach. Or do sleeping giant hike for gentile hike with some views

Helicopter tour with safari helicopter tours two trips & it is a good time.

Ohana fishing Charters is the cheapest fishing charter. ~$180 for the day & they(you) catch your own bait. The captain Lance was fantastic& has a wealth of knowledge to share. Also, hooked a 10ft shark which was fine entertainment value& also caught lots of fish.

That’s all ya get

My life is better than your dreams

Love this place on the south end for beers and good food.

Kauai Island Brewery and Grill

I'm not a beach guy but this is one of the most gorgeous places I've been. Polihale State Park. We did see several ppl swimming. Hiking: can't remember the exact one we did but I think this is the one: Nu'alolo Trail. 6+ mi RT and it was pretty slick in places so take hiking boots, not sneakers. Once you get out of the jungle the views are spectacular. Hanapepe is a VERY cool little village and has an EXCELLENT sushi restaurant, Japanese Grandma's Cafe. I didn't much care for Hanalei, it was quite crowded, mid week, in Nov. Have a great time.
    Last edited by Guide; 02-23-2019 at 02:27 PM.

I need to read this thread carefully, but bumping because we just booked flights for the Fall. WOOT!

My daughter is 8 and a moderate swimmer with no ocean experience, so we'll need mellow beaches. Need to reserve an airbnb, so any recommendation on area welcome (sounds like there's Princeville (North), Kapaa (east) and Poipu (south)).

Also any recommendations on family activities are welcome, as well as recommendations on anything. Will also read the thread closely.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Kapa’a is great for families, mellower than Lihue/Poipu, not as far out there as Hanalei/Princeville. Lydgate Beach is good for kids, really good. Stayed near there a number of times when my daughter was a young’un.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    jesus christ that's expensive! Do they give you a hand job for that price?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    jesus christ that's expensive! Do they give you a hand job for that price?
    Get used to saying that. It's a small island with captive visitors. Nothing is cheap.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

so, no handy then?

Agree about Lydgate beach.

Keiki (kid) beaches: some are more geared for little ones and some work well for a large age range. Lydgate beach fits into the latter category.

I thought koke’e state park was pretty cool. If the weather is not rainy, the boardwalk into the rain forest past koke’e is pretty fun.

The book “ultimate Kauai,” possibly available at your library, has a lot of information.

Having similar aged kids, lot of activities that they may or may not enjoy will depend on the kid. For instance, my kids would be into the large “garden”, limahuli garden, past hanalei, but I know many kids that would not enjoy it. We also really enjoy the farmers markets because of all the fresh local tropical fruits and vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    so, no handy then?
    Not for the haoles.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Wife and I spent our honeymoon there. Can't say enough great things about the place. Super laid back and slow paced atmosphere. We stayed neared the Lava Lava Beach Club which is a good midpoint for access to the north and south of the island.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1,021.8 KB 
ID:	291368

Name:	image2.jpg 
Size:	647.7 KB 
ID:	291370
    Kalalau trail can be gnarly when muddy but so worth it.

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	636.6 KB 
ID:	291371

Name:	image4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	594.5 KB 
ID:	291372
    Sleeping Giant trail on the east side of the island has some amazing views and is a moderate hike.

Name:	image1 (1).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	772.1 KB 
ID:	291367
    Waimea Canyon hiking is awesome and a completely different climate from the north side.

Calm beaches on South Side, surfy beaches on North Side. Good beer and grub at the Kauai Island Brewery. Had a couple awesome breakfasts at Moloa's Sunrise Juice Bar. Blue Dolphin Catamaran ride along the Na'Pali coast was, of course, a gaper move but super fun and highly recommended.

Oh, and roosters. Everywhere. You won't sleep in. Lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2 (1).jpg 
Size:	604.2 KB 
ID:	291374  

Only time we went was 1989, so my beta might be just a little dated. Stunning place though, have never seen anything like it.
    "Can't you see..."

If you are trying to save money, skip tubing and put all your money to a boat ride, where you can snorkel and sightsee. And drink. If you have the money, get in the heli and annoy everyone on the ground. Otherwise buy snorkel gear (so you don't have to rent) and food at Costco for the week. Maybe also rent a paddleboard, I saw some people paddling some river, maybe the Wailua, that was super calm, it looked awesome. Beyond that hikes and beaches are free of course. Of course you need a rental car too, and be careful where you park it!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Maybe also rent a paddleboard, I saw some people paddling some river, maybe the Wailua, that was super calm, it looked awesome.
    Ms Boissal and I did the Wailua paddle board thing. I had never been on a SUP and had no intention of ever getting on one but the time we spent on the water was really awesome. There are numerous side hikes to do, the river goes from wide and slow to basically a mountain stream cutting through thick vegetation, it's totally worth doing. I imagine having a kid on the board doesn't make things significantly harder.

We also rented sea kayaks and did a portion of the Nā Pali coast from Polihale state park (I guess it's something you usually do from the north side of the island but the road to get there was trashed). It was beyond awesome. Sea turtles and dolphins all over the place, blue-footed boobies (!) nesting on all the cliffs. Very manageable waves and currents, plenty of great spots to swim, you can go as far along the coast as you want and turn around when you're tired then play in the water at Polihale which has moderate waves but no significant scary currents.

Waimea canyon is a must, there are some very short hikes to insane overlooks along the way and once you make it to Kōkeʻe State Park you can do longer hikes (still moderate) to completely otherworldy places overlooking Nā Pali. Even without hiking watching the fog banks roll around the Kalalau lookout was a highlight of the trip for me. You're sitting in a fog globe one second and the next you get to see the whole coast 4000' below you.

As mentioned, buy some cheap but well fitting snorkeling gear and take it to Anahola, it's perfect for kids, shallow reef snorkeling with no waves, an infinity of fish, and the occasional turtle. Make sure to try every single weird fruit you can get your hands on to supplement the Costco food and stop at the Kauai Brewery in Eleele for good beer. The wild pigs look particularly tasty, if you have a chance to partake in a roasted one it's amazing. The roosters will bring out your worst instincts. I wanted to murder them all (we camped for 10 days and the fuckers are only offline from 10PM to 4AM).

Link to a TGR surf thread (a ton of good Kauai info):

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...900-Kauai-Info

good Jitsu contact there, if that's your thing.

Again, jealous.

Danno, with an 8 year old ocean novice kid, consider this place.

http://www.findvacationrentals.com/h...tals-4216.html

Kimo’s Yurt is near Haena and a 5 minute walk from some super easy snorkeling. At $110 a night, I think it’s about the best deal on the island. Very comfortable for 3 as long as the family is ok with an outdoor shower. It is a neighborhood, so nothing but the beach is walkable.

Thanks. For financial reasons, we have to use an airbnb (we have airbnb gift card balance).

We're leaning to staying in Poipu. Due to walking distance to a kid-friendly beach and the likelihood of warmer sunnier weather in November.

I’d choose Poipu. Nothing is far from anything on the island.

There is a baby beach at Poipu Beach and another just west of the Sheraton. Both are pretty well protected from south swells due to the reefs. Both have sea turtles chilling at them almost all the time. And south swells are not likely as we push into fall.

I just returned from Poipu with my 8 year old. He is a decent ocean swimmer but no Hawaiian waterman. The Cole at PK, just west of Beach House, is great snorkeling. The snuba company feed the fish (not a cool thing to do) but because of it, the fish come right up to you.

Lydgate is a great play ground, but the water is totally inside of break waters, so it kind of feels like a harbor.

If you can spend the money, a boat trip along the Nepali can be great.

Rent snorkel gear at Snorkel Bobs. Don’t buy a bunch of shit that becomes garbage on there island. The Costco snorkel gear is shitty. Rent a boogie board if you want one. A lot of Airbnb rentals have gear for you to use. My buddy’s property is vbro, but he has snorkel gear, boogie boards, beach wagon, coolers, blankets, bikes and more for renters to use.

Kapa’a I do not love. It is the east side so right in the onshore wind. More built up and has a busy strip through the main road.

Haena is awesome. But not a lot of rentals. Princeville is golf course and condos, but great location for getting to Hanalei and Haena or Hideaways (my favorite beach to chill and snorkel at in summer)

Kalalau is closed unless you get a permit. Same with Ke’e. If you are thinking of heading that way, make reservations with the state parks service. Super gorgeous trail, but even the first to miles to Hanaxxxxxxx Beach is pretty grueling.

My 8 yr old is a solid hiker. He has hike up over Vernal and Nevada Falls in Yosemite and has done 8 mile days with 1200’ gain at sea level.

The Alakai Swamp hoke was a bit much for him. Great board walk hike through a high swamp to a lookout over the north shore. Start very early, as fog comes in almost every day around 11am. About 8.5 miles round trip. Great views of Kalalau Valley along the first mile.

Best hike of the trip was the Cliff Trail In Waimea to some small swimming hole atop a 600’ water fall. About 4 mile round trip.

Also enjoyed hiking to some falls behind Kapaa. About 3 mile round trip.

We didn’t do it, but friends enjoyed the botanical garden in Poipu.

Buy food not grown onnthe island at Costco. If you are hungry when you get off the plane, grab a plate lunch at Mark’s Place. Right near Costco. Costco has way cheaper gas than anyone on the island.

Hanepepe has a great farmers market.

Good bakery and pizza like creations at Kilauea Bakery.

Lumahai Beach is gorgeous. Nice lagoon. Do not go in ocean here. It is dangerous even when swells are small.

Tunnels might be my wife’s favorite beach. Long sandy tucked behind a dual reef.

Food Trucks in Hanalei. Eat ramen at AMA at sunset and watch the Na Pali light up.

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post
    Danno, with an 8 year old ocean novice kid, consider this place.

http://www.findvacationrentals.com/h...tals-4216.html

Kimo’s Yurt is near Haena and a 5 minute walk from some super easy snorkeling. At $110 a night, I think it’s about the best deal on the island. Very comfortable for 3 as long as the family is ok with an outdoor shower. It is a neighborhood, so nothing but the beach is walkable.
    I stayed in this yurt in May 2007 with my wife and toddler boy. Twas great! Wrong side of the island for that time of the year for a calm ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I’d choose Poipu. Nothing is far from anything on the island.

There is a baby beach at Poipu Beach and another just west of the Sheraton. Both are pretty well protected from south swells due to the reefs. Both have sea turtles chilling at them almost all the time. And south swells are not likely as we push into fall.

I just returned from Poipu with my 8 year old. He is a decent ocean swimmer but no Hawaiian waterman. The Cole at PK, just west of Beach House, is great snorkeling. The snuba company feed the fish (not a cool thing to do) but because of it, the fish come right up to you.

Lydgate is a great play ground, but the water is totally inside of break waters, so it kind of feels like a harbor.

If you can spend the money, a boat trip along the Nepali can be great.

Rent snorkel gear at Snorkel Bobs. Don’t buy a bunch of shit that becomes garbage on there island. The Costco snorkel gear is shitty. Rent a boogie board if you want one. A lot of Airbnb rentals have gear for you to use. My buddy’s property is vbro, but he has snorkel gear, boogie boards, beach wagon, coolers, blankets, bikes and more for renters to use.

Kapa’a I do not love. It is the east side so right in the onshore wind. More built up and has a busy strip through the main road.

Haena is awesome. But not a lot of rentals. Princeville is golf course and condos, but great location for getting to Hanalei and Haena or Hideaways (my favorite beach to chill and snorkel at in summer)

Kalalau is closed unless you get a permit. Same with Ke’e. If you are thinking of heading that way, make reservations with the state parks service. Super gorgeous trail, but even the first to miles to Hanaxxxxxxx Beach is pretty grueling.

My 8 yr old is a solid hiker. He has hike up over Vernal and Nevada Falls in Yosemite and has done 8 mile days with 1200’ gain at sea level.

The Alakai Swamp hoke was a bit much for him. Great board walk hike through a high swamp to a lookout over the north shore. Start very early, as fog comes in almost every day around 11am. About 8.5 miles round trip. Great views of Kalalau Valley along the first mile.

Best hike of the trip was the Cliff Trail In Waimea to some small swimming hole atop a 600’ water fall. About 4 mile round trip.

Also enjoyed hiking to some falls behind Kapaa. About 3 mile round trip.

We didn’t do it, but friends enjoyed the botanical garden in Poipu.

Buy food not grown onnthe island at Costco. If you are hungry when you get off the plane, grab a plate lunch at Mark’s Place. Right near Costco. Costco has way cheaper gas than anyone on the island.

Hanepepe has a great farmers market.

Good bakery and pizza like creations at Kilauea Bakery.

Lumahai Beach is gorgeous. Nice lagoon. Do not go in ocean here. It is dangerous even when swells are small.

Tunnels might be my wife’s favorite beach. Long sandy tucked behind a dual reef.

Food Trucks in Hanalei. Eat ramen at AMA at sunset and watch the Na Pali light up.
    Thank you, that's great!

I'm trying to lock the place to stay down, then I have to pull out the map and figure out where all these things are!

Kuilau Ridge and Sleeping Giant trails. Some of the best bang for your buck hikes and very kid-friendly.

We went a few years ago. At the time our kids were 2, 4 and 6. We stayed in Poipu because with 3 kids having dry weather and a kid friendly beach was a high priority. Our youngest still asks us nearly every day when we're going back to hawaii. Poipu was perfect for us. We spent a day driving up to Koke'e and another day driving around the east side and up to Hanalei. You probably can't go wrong but for us Poipu was the perfect location. Plus, Poipu has a lot of air bnb options.

We ended up reserving in Poipu for the exact reasons you mention, dry weather and kid friendly beach being walking distance. We're fine with driving for all of our adventures, but we didn't want to have to drive just to laze and swim at a beach.

Definitely interested in more recommendations of food, hikes, beaches, adventures, etc.