Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kauai Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Definitely interested in more recommendations of food, hikes, beaches, adventures, etc.
    x post:

food:

hit up the northside grill for sushi in Hanalei. incredible. Affordable.
    https://northsidegrillhanalei.com/

lunch try Kalypso (best fish/chips up north). big beers.
    http://www.kalypsokauai.com/

down south hit the breweries and brenneckies
    https://www.brenneckes.com/

second the notion of hideaways beach for snorkeling. swells nearby if you want.

Some fun hikes and cooler weather in Waimea. Nepali coast hike is great if it's not too rainy.
    We kayaked up river into the nature preserve up north, was very cool and non-committal.

Tour of the cocoa / chocolate farm is pretty sweet.

Try Maha'ulepu beach, it's past the Hyatt and down a bumpy ass road but it has uncrowded beaches if you go all the way to the end of the road( it was about 10 years ago).

^^*those beaches would be pretty sweet in November. They were a little rough in July. Gorgeous, no hotels or buildings and just a few minutes from Poipu. Good call.

The cave over that way is worth visiting. And you can also hike in along the cliffs from the Hyatt and shipwrecks for an easier kid hike.

The taco shack in Hanapepe is perfectly fine and not too expensive. We stopped there one day returning from hiking in Kokee. Easy stop for her you are hungry and have no dinner plans.

Also, the lodge and museum in Kokee are worth a visit. They have hot cocoa and homemade pie. It can be oddly cool up there, and wet, so that hot beverage might be welcomed.

It’s been some time but we loved the hike to Hanakapiai Falls. I see folks noting it’s challenging but I don’t remember it that way.

Kauai Questions

^^^^depends on who the hikers are. The first two miles climbs over 500’ and drops back to sea level. If there has been rain, the red clay becomes very slippery and the multiple creek crossing s on the next two miles up to the Falls can become very challenging. Round trip it is 8.6 (was 8, but parking lot is now .3 down the road since the floods), so a decent length and challenge for an 8 year old. But it depends on the hiker for sure.

Awesome Falls. The entire Kalalua Trail is amazing. But it is all solid hiking, even if just headed to the first beach. Let’s put it this way. People die on that trail almost every year. Most past Hanakapia, but still it is not for those looking for an easy or even moderate hike.

8.6 miles is probably too much for the kiddo. I'd probably set her limit at 5 miles or so.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    It’s been some time but we loved the hike to Hanakapiai Falls. I see folks noting it’s challenging but I don’t remember it that way.
    I've done that hike three times now. Twice dry, once it rained on the way back. That clay, once wet gets real dangerous and slippery and some slopes are fairly steep with consequences. Even worse on the section from Ke'e to the beach with more tourist traffic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Skip the whole dining out if possible and blow the whole budget on Hawaiian ice all over the island. If you have a kitchen and grill just find a local fish market and go at it. If you want a local experience you might consider Hamura Saimin in Lihue, long time island institution. I'm not a huge fan but people swear by it.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Skip the whole dining out if possible and blow the whole budget on Hawaiian ice all over the island. If you have a kitchen and grill just find a local fish market and go at it. If you want a local experience you might consider Hamura Saimin in Lihue, long time island institution. I'm not a huge fan but people swear by it.
    We have a condo with full kitchen; access to a grill maybe a hundred yards away. Our plan is definitely to save money on food by cooking. We will probably grab lunch while out on adventures, because we don't want to miss out on things like poke, but may mostly stick to deli counters and food trucks and the like.

So recommendations for which markets/locations have that are welcome!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    They call is Shave Ice. And fuck that shit. Most of it is gross. Some use fresh made syrups that are okay, but mostly no.

Hamura is decent saimon noodle.

Danno - we brought a back pack cooler and a few ziplock bags. Our rental had a lot of Tupperware. We usually made sandwiches, cut veggies, and brought fruit and snacks with us. Worked out way better than buying lunch. You are not always in a place that has lunch offerings and the kid never went hungry. Out rental also had a cooler which we mostly kept in the car with cold beer and more food.

Go to Koloa Fish Market for your poke. All their fish is island caught. Oddly enough, most fish on the island comes from off island and most of the local fish goes to Japan and Las Vegas. Support businesses that keep local fish local.

Other PSA - get reef friendly sunblock. Non-nano zinc is a good option. Most sunblocks kill the reefs, so do your research and get the right stuff. Let me know if you need a brand suggestion. We used one that we liked and I surfed with it. So it stays on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    They call is Shave Ice. And fuck that shit. Most of it is gross. Some use fresh made syrups that are okay, but mostly no.

Hamura is decent saimon noodle.

Danno - we brought a back pack cooler and a few ziplock bags. Our rental had a lot of Tupperware. We usually made sandwiches, cut veggies, and brought fruit and snacks with us. Worked out way better than buying lunch. You are not always in a place that has lunch offerings and the kid never went hungry. Out rental also had a cooler which we mostly kept in the car with cold beer and more food.

Go to Koloa Fish Market for your poke. All their fish is island caught. Oddly enough, most fish on the island comes from off island and most of the local fish goes to Japan and Las Vegas. Support businesses that keep local fish local.

Other PSA - get reef friendly sunblock. Non-nano zinc is a good option. Most sunblocks kill the reefs, so do your research and get the right stuff. Let me know if you need a brand suggestion. We used one that we liked and I surfed with it. So it stays on.
    Second the pack your own lunch method. Lunch out gets pricey and not available on a hike or paddle.

I usually bring a Camelbak bladder and/or buy bike water bottles and freeze some water/put ice in them. Keeps pack cold and you also have water handy as it melts during the day.

Second Mahaulepu

Also, pay attention to the shore breaks. Too many people get pounded. My cousin landed on his head and damn near got paralyzed.

Just IF the whole time

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Kalalau is a good trail. It is surprisingly tiring but easily doable for backcountry schralping dentists. I asked my wife to marry me on that backpacking trip.

We’re heading over this October. As a photog and adventurer I’ve been looking at the weeping wall at Wai’ale’ale. Most websites say it is a long day of boulder hopping and river crossing and I should hire a guide (bleep that).

YouTube videos seem to show folks that I would, admittedly, have some judgemental thoughts about if I saw off trail in the Sierra.

But, summitpost seems to echo some of the thoughts and cautions. And IG seems to have few posts of the zone.

So I’m wondering if anyone here has done it and what their thoughts on the trek are.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    . And IG seems to have few posts of the zone.
    The area must have a ban on selfie sticks....

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    The area must have a ban on selfie sticks....
    Lulz. I’m wondering if it means the area is a true PITA. I’m just curious if it’s a PITA level 4 or 10.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2653.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	292175

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f9.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	292176

Name:	fullsizeoutput_fd.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1,007.5 KB 
ID:	292177

Kauai Questions

From what I’ve heard it is a PITA 8.5 to the weeping wall. My buddy did it several years ago. The easiest part is the mile through the tunnel in waist deep water. I think the suggestion of a guide is due to the last few miles which are not often used. The jungle can grow back in and close the trail. If no guide, machete and a really good sense of direction or GPS and coordinates would be helpful.

Buddy said it is a great hike, leave early, bring plenty of water and food and a headlamp in case you are late coming out. I wanted to hit it, but not with the 8 year old.

Danno - look into the Cliff Trail in Waimea. It was just under 4 miles from the outlook. Decent elevation loss/gain. Jungle and canyon views, with a swimming hole as the turn around point. And you can stand atop a 600’ waterfall and peer over. It was scary watching my wife go out and take in the view. Best on days when canyon and ocean are not obscured by clouds.

Oh and Brenneckes is a dangerous shore pound. Probably not in November, but that was the one spot in Poipu that have body whompers.

Rollin out to Poipu in a week - thought I’d bump for any new beta points. We’re staying in a condo and mobile with car. Taking my 7 year old boy. It’s been 20 years since I’ve been to the island.
    We plan to stock up at Costco but want to splurge a bit on sushi and any other must eat spots. Recs?
    [Read above]
    Happy 4th 🤙🏼

We paid for the Kauai Revealed app and found it a generally useful handy reference.

We paid for the Kauai Revealed app and found it a generally useful handy reference.
    Right on I’ll check that out.
    Need to score a great place for wedding anniversary dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    We stayed in Poipu in November 2019. Our one nice dinner was at Keoki's Paradise. It's cheesy/touristy, but also good, and touristy in a fun way. Definitely could be a nice spot for an anniversary dinner, especially if it's close to where you're staying. There may be better places, no idea, but you could do worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    In Poipu - look at:
    Beach House (make a reservation for sunset far in advance)
    Red Salt
    Merriman’s
    Eating House 1849

We stayed in Poipu in November 2019. Our one nice dinner was at Keoki's Paradise. It's cheesy/touristy, but also good, and touristy in a fun way. Definitely could be a nice spot for an anniversary dinner, especially if it's close to where you're staying. There may be better places, no idea, but you could do worse.
    Nice. You have kids right- was there multiple options for mellow shores within 20-30 mins? I remember Poipu and shipwreck beach as chill but was also 20 years old and not that concerned - as I would be to get my son out there. Back then we were sneaking into the Grand Hyatt pools trying to meet girls mostly.
    Wonder if Kauai has been hit hard with C19 closures?

Shipwreck beach is typically a whomping beach in the summer.

If there is swell, the south shore is a challenge for littles or beginners.

Baby Beach is protected by a reef.

We enjoyed eating at Ama on the north shore. Udon and waterfall views. But that is a drive. Romantic for sure.