Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Orbea Rallon on JensonUSA for $4999.

The new Capra looks pretty good. BikeMAGs first ride review of the 27.5 sounds like it’s right up there with the Nomad, the Spartan, and the Slayer. Can’t go wrong with aluminum Capra for $2500 (I’d stay away from the carbon fibre), with that Lyrik fork.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Orbea shouldn’t be too hard to find where OP is located.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yeah Hood River Bikes has a line on them, has one to demo. I was this close but ended up going with a Stumpjumper just because the geometry seemed a little more sprightly.

Which "New" Bike? Nomad/Patrol/Insurgent/?

Great deals on Intense right now. Base model carbon bikes are like 3K. Grab a Carbine or Tracer and call it good! For Post and Sandy I’d prolly prefer the Tracer, love mine! Also tend to prefer the Newer Fox stuff to Rockskox personally but the Rockshox is plenty good too.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 02-09-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Great deals onIntense right now. Base model carbon bikes are like 3K.
    As long as you can keep from ripping the fork through the headtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    The rider:
    Ballpark specs: 160mm, carbon, 65-66* Head tube. 27.5 vs 29
    One more...b/c I like Turner and DW:
    https://www.turnerbikes.com/bikes/rfx-v4-0/
    160/65 and can go up hills: as requested.

BTW: YT Capra is now a WHOLE BUNCH OF BIKE! (27.5 = 180/180 or 170/170, 65 HTA)
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-ne...d-to-know.html
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Tough to argue with the Capra as a do it all bike. $5,200USD for Fox Factory 36/X2/Transfer, e13 carbon cranks/rims, XTR/E13 drivetrain, Guide Ultimate brakes... under 30lbs for large I believe (without pedals).

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    As long as you can keep from ripping the fork through the headtube.

LOL, you can do that to any bike if you abuse it enough. I don't think anyone here would argue, the bikes are awesome.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Haven't ridden a Wreckoning, have ridden the Insurgent and loved it and have owned a Following for the past two years now. If you're not planning on riding UCI World Cup downhill courses on your lunch break ride, I would highly highly recommend the Following. The sizing could be an issue for you given being taller and with longer arms (at least on the V1 frame I'm on), but it's an outrageously fun and capable bike that I still will ride bike parks and ride endurbro races on with no qualms despite the minimal travel. I would go lower travel than 160 if you're not going to be riding the gnarly gnarly stuff, will be snappier and more playful and with the geometry changes all these medium travel bikes are shredding.

Lots of good gen 1 Following up on PB right now... https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...il%20following

Can't do Push shock but you can get an Avalanche tune for the Monarch shock that makes it loads better (will be doing this soon).

But WTF do I know... Toast has ridden 8,000 bikes including this one, so ask him.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Wreckoning

Or my Devinci Spartan. It gets ridden 10 times a year cause I work all summer and could use some to abuse it. Pm me if your interested, going to sell it for cheap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Wreckoning

Or my Devinci Spartan. It gets ridden 10 times a year cause I work all summer and could use some to abuse it. Pm me if your interested, going to sell it for cheap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Interested. 170 travel up front? Which size?

Quote Originally Posted by bbergey View Post
    Interested. 170 travel up front? Which size?
    160mm, XL

I’ll shoot you a pm

160mm, XL

I’ll shoot you a pm
    Shucks - xl probably not close for me

Shucks - xl probably not close for me
    It’s a small XL. I’m 6-4 and I want a larger XL, hence why I’m going to sell it

It’s a small XL. I’m 6-4 and I want a larger XL, hence why I’m going to sell it
    Ah. I’m 5’10. Would be quite a stretch for me

Ah. I’m 5’10. Would be quite a stretch for me
    HVSkier is 5-10 and road it a few times last winter and was amazed at how small it was.

Nomad? Patrol? SB165? Megatower

Here is where I am at: Hopefully someone can shed some light so I don’t have to cunt up the place with a new thread: Currently debating patrol v Nomad V4 vs MT v sb165- I’m 5’8 and change, with short arms and a short 28-29” inseam. So thinking medium. For a long time my sb5.5 was my only ride and it is/was great. In the last year I’ve picked up a Stanton Sherpa Steel Hardtail (130mm, 67 HTA). I’m running it with 27.5+x3.0. It’s reach is pretty conservative. With that all said, it’s a f’n blast. I’ve been riding it a lot more than my Yeti because it’s so capable, its become my true XC/Trail bike, I’ve even had it at the bike part on steep terrain and jump lines, and it’s just amazing. Quick side to side, snappy and poppy (maybe the steel?) With that in mind, I’m looking to swap out the 5.5 for something more aggressive, long, low, slack whatever, as an epic descent bike, for big days and down oriented race days to complement the Sherpa acting as my mellow/trail bike. So that brings me to the patrol, Nomad and MEgattower and sb165 Questions:

1) Are Santa Cruz still creaky bikes? My first real MTB was a 07 Blur LT, and while it was a blast to ride, it creaked like nobody’s business. Although i’m Not an attached yeti fan boy, I do like that my 5.5 has been silent since purchase.
    2) Is there more to the decision between the nomad and MT then wheel preference? Ride Characteristics, climbing, etc?
    3) If you had a 27.5x3.0 would that you liked a lot would that make you more apt to go for a 29 or a 27.5. A 29 to have something different?. Or another 27.5.
    3)The Nomad V4 came out circa 17? 18? Is it due or a change anytime soon?
    4) Also considering Transition Patrol, Yeti SB165 if anyone has any other thoughts on them...

I think I’ll probably have a chance to demo here and there but right now mainly want to eliminate Nomad or Patrol
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Have you ridden any of the modern 29 ers? I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it and I'm a little shorter than you.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Have you ridden any of the modern 29 ers? I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it and I'm a little shorter than you.
    Not anything more modern then my 5.5, which I do love, and it is a freight train, but it just lacks something i can’t put my finger on... in any event, someone said something very similar to me a few days back, had me itching for Megatower....
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I think the sb165 will be too much bike unless you're riding bike park on the reg. I doubt the team riders will even race that thing. The 150 seems like a more logical step for you from a 5.5 if you want more bike. I have lots of friends on Santa Cruz's. Not too many rave reviews for the megatower. None of complained about creaking. I have seen some really well priced/specced nomads out there.

My 5.5 creaked and so did my son's, we used some carbon paste on the seat post and the noise went away

you sound like a pretty solid medium

The 5.5 is like SO 2 years ago it doesn't have the most upright seat post angle and its not quite as slack ,

my kid buys them rides em a bit and sells them, a shop bro who had the 5.5 tells me the 150 is " almost too much "

but really you will have to demo them all to find the one which speaks to you ... it sounds like you want the unicorn bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Not anything more modern then my 5.5, which I do love, and it is a freight train, but it just lacks something i can’t put my finger on... in any event, someone said something very similar to me a few days back, had me itching for Megatower....
    Sorry, reading fail on my end.

I'd obviously second the getting out there and by the looks of the sb165.. agree with nortonwhls that it's a LOT of bike for most.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

GG Megatrail?

Is it weird that the 150 doesn’t speak to me like my 5.5 did when I bought it and that sb165 speaks to me whereas 150 doesn’t? Probably, I’m weird AF

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post

1) Are Santa Cruz still creaky bikes? My first real MTB was a 07 Blur LT, and while it was a blast to ride, it creaked like nobody’s business. Although i’m Not an attached yeti fan boy, I do like that my 5.5 has been silent since purchase.
    2) Is there more to the decision between the nomad and MT then wheel preference? Ride Characteristics, climbing, etc?
    3) If you had a 27.5x3.0 would that you liked a lot would that make you more apt to go for a 29 or a 27.5. A 29 to have something different?. Or another 27.5.
    3)The Nomad V4 came out circa 17? 18? Is it due or a change anytime soon?
    4) Also considering Transition Patrol, Yeti SB165 if anyone has any other thoughts on them...

I think I’ll probably have a chance to demo here and there but right now mainly want to eliminate Nomad or Patrol
    1) No. Not if torqued properly. They have sealed bearings and a threaded BB. My N3 only creaked when I over-torqued the linkages.
    2) Climbing ability comes in too. The N4 has the old style slack STA (~74 degrees). Mega, Bronson, & new HT all have steeper STAs (76). It makes a legit difference in climbing. I will not buy any bikes with less than 76 now that I've ridden that extensively.
    3a) Most people have reached the conclusion that plus tires are hot garbage. I had 27.5x3.0 on a hardtail and hated it, switched to 29x2.3. That convinced me to go 29 over 27.5 for my new bike.
    3b) Hard to say what they'll update next. Probably 5010 and Tallboy, although there were recent tweaks to those. But Nomad is now the oldest out of their "enduro" bikes currently, and shows it with the STA.
    4) I would hands down take the Patrol over an N4.

FWIW, I am same height, slightly longer inseam, but long arms. I ended up on Sentinel, came from an N3 as previously mentioned. The fit is perfect, so the medium Patrol should fit you perfectly as well. I love the climbing position. I appreciate the 5mm higher BB height, although I could live with the Patrol's. I very seldom buzz my ass with my tire (only when going through "woops" downhill at speed, where the rear end kicks up). When up to speed, I find the larger wheels carry momentum better. They also roll over curb-sized hits easier. But they do feel like they lag in acceleration. Patrol was a very close second choice, which mostly lost out due to wanting to try something new, and the trails/my riding style favoring straightline speed over playfulness.

Make a list of about 10 bikes you like from a category (because really they aren't that different), wait for "princess and the pea" to sell bike x used at 6 months old because bike y is better. Score good deal on used bike and get it dialed in and enjoy.