Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Which "New" Bike? Nomad/Patrol/Insurgent/?

I desperately need to upgrade my ride.

The criteria:
    -To be ridden on: Local single track (Sandy Ridge & Post Canyon) 90%. Whistler 10%. Very occasional XC trail.

The rider:
    6'2. 180 and getting fat. Gorilla-like reach means small cockpits = bad.
    Can pedal anything uphill. Proof in my current rig, weighing in at ~43lbs.
    Likes: Smooth, flowy, fast berms and modest drops. Some roots for flavor.
    Dislikes: Rocky "this isn't fun" bullsh*t.

Ballpark specs: 160mm, carbon, 65-66* Head tube. 27.5 vs 29 I'm not sold on going full-retard or not.

The contenders:
    -Nomad. My buddy just got one. I don't want to be all matchy-matchy, but it is sex.
    -Transition patrol. People like it, It comes in my color. That's all I got
    -Evil Insurgent (Or Wreckoning??) The buddy I know that got a Patrol recommended this bike. I think the rear triangle/shock geometry looks stupid. Is stupid good?
    -Capra YT. Looks cool, Seems like the cockpit might be a little tight for me

I demo'd a Bronson. It was...fine. Kind of yawn.
    I demo'd the patrol in aluminum. Poppy as f*ck, launched my favorite feature and almost wound up in the weeds. Climbs real good.

Final important question: I have no shame re: hand-me-downs. Would you buy a used bike? Is that a recipe for disaster?

1. What the hell are you pedaling that weighs more than my DH bike? 43lbs is EBike territory.
    2. You like flow, don’t like chunk and are tall. 29er was made for you.
    3. Hard to imagine an experience like you had with the Patrol doesn’t have you sold on a Patrol.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    1. What the hell are you pedaling that weighs more than my DH bike? 43lbs is EBike territory.
    2. You like flow, don’t like chunk and are tall. 29er was made for you.
    3. Hard to imagine an experience like you had with the Patrol doesn’t have you sold on a Patrol.
    1. Iron Horse from way back in the day. I rode it into a lake, it took on some lake, in the down tube I think. Now it has ballast.
    2. Worried about bashing cranks over anything and everything. It's kind of annoying. That's literally my only hesitation.
    3. It was maybe a little too...skittish? Maybe I'm just used to casing everything.

Great deals on last years carbon patrol. You’ll get used to a low B.B. and love it I think

how about the new Kona Process 153? It’s 7mm short and all...but still...

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Friends are loving the new carbon process.

None of those are bad bikes. And if you're coming from an ancient 43lb Iron Horse, pretty much any modern bike is going to be the tits.

There are differences between those bikes, but given where you're coming from, I'd be a little surprised if any of the differences made you absolutely love (or hate) one of the bikes over the others. With some tweaks to the suspension, you can make all of those bikes ride fairly similarly.

With that in mind, I'd go with whatever you can get a good deal on. And that absolutely includes used bikes, assuming they're in good shape. Keeping in mind that both the Nomad and the Patrol have gone through some revisions, so if you're buying used, you might be mostly looking at older versions (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Have you ridden a 29er? I ride with several guys around your height, and 29ers were a bit of a coup for them. At least worth trying one out to see what you think.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    1. Iron Horse from way back in the day. I rode it into a lake, it took on some lake, in the down tube I think. Now it has ballast.

Maybe you just need a new drill bit instead of a bike.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Maybe you just need a new drill bit instead of a bike.
    Nah, builds character.

I own a nomad 3 and have ridden a patrol, a calling (not insurgent), and Capra. The patrol was my favorite. The only issue was that I couldn’t run a 150 dropper. I think I could on this year’s patrol. The Capra crushed the downhills but is getting dated and a new version should be coming this spring. I find my nomad a little meh.

Look into a trek slash too, but really most bikes are good, look for a deal

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

YT is launching the new Capra on Feb 8th, this Thursday, the new XL may fit you well as the current one is short. I assume they will steepen the STA and hopefully have a shorter seat tube length as well. Would be cool if they do a 29er and 27.5.

I would look at the Pole Evolink 140 if I was your size and buying a new do-it-all bike today. That thing will handle Whistler Bike Park no problem.

I’ve a L Wreckoning and are your size. Can’t say enough good things about the bike. I would seriously consider the 29” wheels. I ride it everywhere, WBP to local trails, to longer XC days. The wagon wheels just chew up rough steep trails and carry speed really well.
    If you can swing it go for the Push 11.6 upgrade, that shock is freaking amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nwsno View Post
    I’ve a L Wreckoning and are your size. Can’t say enough good things about the bike. I would seriously consider the 29” wheels. I ride it everywhere, WBP to local trails, to longer XC days. The wagon wheels just chew up rough steep trails and carry speed really well.
    If you can swing it go for the Push 11.6 upgrade, that shock is freaking amazing.
    My buddy had a Push-upgraded Wreckoning and swears it's the GREATEST BIKE EVER CREATED! (It was stolen from the back of his locked car...smash and grab fuck-faces).

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    My buddy had a Push-upgraded Wreckoning and swears it's the GREATEST BIKE EVER CREATED! (It was stolen from the back of his locked car...smash and grab fuck-faces).
    I spent a month on it with the monarch before my Push was available and the difference is quite noticeable. The bike is no slouch with the air can but with the Push...holy sh!t

carbon warden or hightower LT.

Orbea Rallon

Yeti SB 5.5?

Yeti SB 5.5?
    Not politically correct just now but not a terrible bike. If you are interested in that, though, check the Spot Mayhem.

Not politically correct?

Yeti SB 5.5?
    That's not how you spell nomad.

with me now.......NO MAD

It's right there in the name. All happy.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Pole?
    Spot?
    Orbea?
    Not exactly easy to find in North America are they?

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Pole?
    Spot?
    Orbea?
    Not exactly easy to find in North America are they?

Orbea shouldn’t be too hard to find where OP is located.

Spot bikes are direct sale, but they aren’t in the same class as what op is looking for.

Pole? Outside of the web, I’ve never seen one.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

The Pole Evolink 140 is really intriguing. especially at OP's height. From some actual customer reviews/YouTube vids it sounds like it climbs surprisingly well for the slack HTA as you are so far forward seated. I think it weighs around 33-34lbs with a reasonable build? Not light but manageable. Of course it shreds all descents... there's a guy that was riding the Whistler Bike Park with one all summer (I think he is sponsored by Pole):

https://polebicycles.com/evolink-140...vertical-feet/