Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Not too many rave reviews for the megatower.
    Nort, what have you been hearing around Whistler? I had a few days on one and in this day and age of great bikes, Megatower=Megaturd...IMO While I liked the fit and geometry enough, I just could not get it to feel good down and especially not up, mind you I only ran it in the Low setting and after talking to more owners should have tried it in High. Going down the stock air was rough for lack of a better description, trying different pressures. Climbing the SA is still too slack (Low position) even with saddle all the way forward, found better traction once I put in the Long position but I ride an XL. Very different from the very positive experience I had on the Yeti SB150, although the Front Centre is quite long (XL).

To me after reading his thread on MTBR, volklmaniac seems to be after more of a park bike and at his size that Patrol/Nomad 4/Capra 27 look pretty good. My understanding is the tune/kinematics of the Megatower is not like the Nomad 4 with many more peeps happier with the way the N4 rides. I predict Nomad 5 won't come out until 2021.
    Last edited by robnow; 07-19-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Make a list of about 10 bikes you like from a category (because really they aren't that different), wait for "princess and the pea" to sell bike x used at 6 months old because bike y is better. Score good deal on used bike and get it dialed in and enjoy.
    but would he not be waiting for himself ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

O

t
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    but would he not be waiting for himself ?
    mind Blown.

I think after riding a couple of laps on each bike today what I love about the Hardtail Is that I I feel super balanced when I’m in an aggressive attack position I always feel like I can comfortably get my legs and feet level on the Cranks and still feel really comfortable.This allows me to really move the bike around underneath me.I was searching For a way to describe what I don’t like about the yeti and I think that’s It. Despite having similar Geo and the same drivetrain I never feel like I can be level at my feet with heels dropped a touch and be in a good attacking position. I’m not sure if this just says how much I suck or if that’s a way to quantify what’s wrong with the 55 Geo but maybe some of your bike psychologistsCan interpret that what it means for looking at a new long travel bike

I’m also hearing the MegaTower isn’t a hit like people thought it would be. The guys in Seattle I ride with don’t love it, and the shop guys in Jackson are all selling theirs for the new High Tower.

Last summer I had a Slayer and felt like it was too much bike for me most of time time and I wanted a 29er. So I tried a few bikes and settled on the Sentinel. It’s not an EWS winning machine, but that’s not my style of riding. If you go 29er, I really don’t think most people need a bike with more then 150mm of travel. We just can’t get the performance out of them like the pros can.

I’m partial to the Sentinel since I own one. I also like the Rocky Mountain Slayer a ton, just wish the XL was longer. If you really like the long travel 27.5 idea, the SB165, check out the Slayer. It pedals really well, as well as my Sentinel. It descends like a monster, and they are really well built. You can also find them on PinkBike in pretty good condition used for 3-4K, which is half the price of what a new SB165 or Santa Cruz will be.

I’ve actually thought a few times about getting a 180mm DH fork and building a bike park slayer, I just don’t need two bikes and the Sentinel does just fine in the bike park for the few days a year I get to ride chairlifts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’m also hearing the MegaTower isn’t a hit like people thought it would be. The guys in Seattle I ride with don’t love it, and the shop guys in Jackson are all selling theirs for the new High Tower.

Last summer I had a Slayer and felt like it was too much bike for me most of time time and I wanted a 29er. So I tried a few bikes and settled on the Sentinel. It’s not an EWS winning machine, but that’s not my style of riding. If you go 29er, I really don’t think most people need a bike with more then 150mm of travel. We just can’t get the performance out of them like the pros can.

I’m partial to the Sentinel since I own one. I also like the Rocky Mountain Slayer a ton, just wish the XL was longer. If you really like the long travel 27.5 idea, the SB165, check out the Slayer. It pedals really well, as well as my Sentinel. It descends like a monster, and they are really well built. You can also find them on PinkBike in pretty good condition used for 3-4K, which is half the price of what a new SB165 or Santa Cruz will be.

I’ve actually thought a few times about getting a 180mm DH fork and building a bike park slayer, I just don’t need two bikes and the Sentinel does just fine in the bike park for the few days a year I get to ride chairlifts.

Really interesting, some reviews of MThave been great and some have been very equivocal, lots of down votes on the last few posts has me a little sad face.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Get some 29” wheels for your hardtail....

Then get a 160mm 27.5 bike....

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Get some 29” wheels for your hardtail....

Then get a 160mm 27.5 bike....

Not a bad point
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Gonna be in SEaTac and PDX for next 8 weeks, any shop recs for yeti and SC demo I should give my business to? Probably will go to Bellingham and direct to transition to demo the patrol

The other option would be to say fuck it and do this:
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/M...35/setup,38709

Kind of been lusting at more steel
    160r/170f, 64.5 hta, customizable reach

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Gonna be in SEaTac and PDX for next 8 weeks, any shop recs for yeti and SC demo I should give my business to? Probably will go to Bellingham and direct to transition to demo the patrol

I can’t sing high enough praise for Downhill Zone in Issaquah, WA. Adam runs a one man bike shop and won’t steer you wrong or sell you crap. Dude does what he feels is right by you and won’t try to pressure you into buying that wrong thing just to move product. Super cool dude. If you are thinking Santa Cruz, definitely go have a talk with him. One downer about working with Adam is he doesn’t have demos, but I’m sure he knows where to send you for them, maybe Evo?

You can ride right out of Transitions factory to the trails in Bellingham. It’s 10 min on the road and pretty easy to find. Guys are a little arrogant, but nothing out of the ordinary for bike shop guys. Wasn’t a big enough turnoff for me when I bought by Sentinel. Little know fact is you can sometimes buy the shop demos right from Transition, and they will knock the price down a few % depending on how much use it had. My sentinel was the shop demo, ridden 5 times according to their computer tracking system, and I got 10% off, a rebuilt fork, and Stans MK3 wheels instead of Stans S1 wheels.

Not sure about Yeti bikes, maybe look for a cluster of dentist offices . Bad joke, I do like the SB150 and SB165, and they were on my short list of skis. I just need to save for a truck and sled.

Fat tire farm in downtown PDX has always been great to us. Used to get great deals from them when the CAD was stronger... Good guys and have all the cool bikes. I know Fanatik in bellingham also has a great demo fleet and closer to trails.
    If you make it as far north as Whistler, Arbutus Routes is your go to for Yeti. Conveniently located at the base of Blackcomb where Microclimate, Hey Bud, Crazy Train and Dark Crystal all start from...

@RobNow I've heard similar to you. People expecting it ride like a big wheeled Nomad, but found it was more like a big wheeled old style bronson. I also think the Nomad is quite aways off from re-design.

Went to evo, stood over MT, Nomad, Patrol. For whatever it’s worth, felt way more at home over the 27.5s, just stoopid standover test, but that’s something? Maybe?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

the difference between 27.5 and 29 is 1.5 inches of diameter and you half that # so the axle centers are only .75" higher or lower but I think it way more than wheeel size so you gotta ride them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Cyclepath in Portland built me a nice wheel when I was passing through, and I recall seeing every one of the brands you mention. Not sure if they demo, but might be worth a call.

Awesome. Will do!

Awesome. Will do!
    The stand over height on Transitions is crazy low. People all the time stand over my XXL Sentinel and give me the look like is this really a XXL.

^Meaning one could go longer than their height would otherwise allow?

^Meaning one could go longer than their height would otherwise allow?
    I think so? I’m not really sure though. I think it’s more of reach based sizing system and less of a traditional system, or that’s what I read on Pinkbike in one of the reviews their reviewer Mike Leavy did.

According to Transitions website, at 6-3 I’m between an XL and a XXL, and the low stand over height is one of the things that allowed me to size up comfortable. There are times where the XXL is huge, especially if I haven’t ridden in a week or more. Last week I got out for a ride as it was the first time I road in 6 weeks and the bike felt huge. Once I ride it a bit, I feel the size (I’m referring to wheel base length) mostly on tight steep downhill switchbacks, I don’t even try super tight steep uphill switch backs usually. But the more I ride, the more comfortable I feel on the bike everywhere, and like a pair of skis or ski boots that you can grow into, the bottom end performance of the bike is fine for me when I’m being lazy, but when I want to push it, I never reach the top end of what the bike can do. It’s more capable then what I’m ever going to even attempt on a mountain bike.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    As long as you can keep from ripping the fork through the headtube.

Wait. What are you talking about? Hadn't heard about that.

---said the loving owner of an Intense Carbon Tracer T275...---

On the other hand, maybe I don't want to know.

Also piggybacking on this thread.

If any of you could choose a bike to ride whistler trails(not necessarily the bike park) what would you go for? I’ve been on the new bronson this summer in scandyland and like it, but would I want something else for when I get back to whistler/sea to sky?

Thanks!
    Last edited by mr_pretzel; 07-23-2019 at 01:24 PM.

I've been riding the sea to sky zone every day since the end of June (mostly pedaling but some park days too) on an evil offering and couldn't be more happy with this bike. On paper the Bronson looks similar other than the smaller wheels and I think it gets pretty good reviews? Should be fine.

I haven't seen curves for the new 5010 or Bronson, but my understanding is that everything is going to more a progressive LR like the Nomad. I hope that's the case. I want to ride one to see for myself.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Also piggybacking on this thread.

If any of you could choose a bike to ride whistler trails(not necessarily the bike park) what would you go for? I’ve been on the new bronson this summer in scandyland and like it, but would I want something else for when I get back to whistler/sea to sky?

Thanks!
    bunch of bronsons around here. More common with locals than nomads for sure. Unless you're trying to beat Jesse's strava times you'll be fine.

I'm gonna take his gargamel KOM any day now

Surprisingly he didn't Strava PB's Hot Lap video-pinkbike-hot-lap-with-jesse-melamed even though he beat the fastest time by almost 30 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I'm gonna take his gargamel KOM any day now
    Just went and had a look at it, he set that in 2013 when we raced it for The Beast enduro. That was an awesome course, the first stage in the No Flow Zone was sketchy slick, but somehow Gargamel had hero traction. Soo fun yet scary racing down Gargamel.