Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I love my v4 Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I love my v4 Nomad
    Have you tried anything else in the category?

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Not anything more modern then my 5.5, which I do love, and it is a freight train, but it just lacks something i can’t put my finger on... in any event, someone said something very similar to me a few days back, had me itching for Megatower....
    well at least a middlife crisis with your bike is relatively cheap compared to one with your wife

most people reading this on a down spec bike would find the 5.5 is pretty fucking awesome cuz it is pretty fucking awesome, so face it the bike hasn't changed ... you have

So it would appear you have become complacent in your relationship with your bike, suggest you take it out try and remember the stuff it did so well the first time you rode it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well at least a middlife crisis with your bike is relatively cheap compared to one with your wife

most people reading this on a down spec bike would find the 5.5 is pretty fucking awesome cuz it is pretty fucking awesome, so face it the bike hasn't changed ... you have

So it would appear you have become complacent in your relationship with your bike, suggest you take it out try and remember the stuff it did so well the first time you rode it
    Fair. Also this kind of horseshit is probably why I have no wife, shit man, don’t even have a next ex-girlfriend.

Fair. Also this kind of horseshit is probably why I have no wife, shit man, don’t even have a next ex-girlfriend.
    No figure ex-girlfriend? Haha I’m going to have to use that.

A pretty simple (cheapish) upgrade is replacing the bearings between the shock and both triangles. I did it on my old Spartan v1 and the bike felt like new again. It didn’t fix the issue of it being too small, so it still got sold, but it was like new smooth again.

Maybe replace the bearings on your 5.5 before making the jump to a new bike?

Up higher someone asked what bike for whistler and some bike park laps. I really like my Sentinel, which I’ve stated a few times, but from talking to friends and other riders, I think any of the 130-160 rear travel bikes these days would be serviceable. Wheel size is personal preference, it’s all about feel. I’ve got friends who ride Transition Scouts where other friends will only ride DH bikes, etc etc. Any of the longer, lower, slacker bikes are so capable you’ll be fine no matter what you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    No figure ex-girlfriend? Haha I’m going to have to use that.

A pretty simple (cheapish) upgrade is replacing the bearings between the shock and both triangles. I did it on my old Spartan v1 and the bike felt like new again. It didn’t fix the issue of it being too small, so it still got sold, but it was like new smooth again.

Maybe replace the bearings on your 5.5 before making the jump to a new bike?

Up higher someone asked what bike for whistler and some bike park laps. I really like my Sentinel, which I’ve stated a few times, but from talking to friends and other riders, I think any of the 130-160 rear travel bikes these days would be serviceable. Wheel size is personal preference, it’s all about feel. I’ve got friends who ride Transition Scouts where other friends will only ride DH bikes, etc etc. Any of the longer, lower, slacker bikes are so capable you’ll be fine no matter what you choose.

Given my crap car, small apartment and expensive bikes, pretty much all my girlfriends are future ex girlfriends.

Have you tried anything else in the category?
    Not really - I guess a few bike park laps on a Wreckoning and rode a carbon Patrol around in a circle in a parking lot?

Santa Cruz's marketing was all I needed to know it was the right choice for me.

Demo’d megatower up at tiger mountain. Climbing the forest road def faster than the 5.5. Suprinsingly mixed times going down, places I was faster on the 5.5. Def felt like I was carrying a piss ton of speed and felt the length in spots. Crazy how active that back end is, so much more pop. Demo’ing the 150 this week, then a nomad. Good shit

Demo’d megatower up at tiger mountain. Climbing the forest road def faster than the 5.5. Suprinsingly mixed times going down, places I was faster on the 5.5. Def felt like I was carrying a piss ton of speed and felt the length in spots. Crazy how active that back end is, so much more pop. Demo’ing the 150 this week, then a nomad. Good shit
    What did you ride on Tiger? I only really notice the length on my Sentinel on EBAD in the steep downhill switchbacks. I’d probably notice it too on The Legend and Megafauna if I rode those much.

I really like how the 29er climbs compared to the 27.5 bikes.

Could the active back end be shock tune or tire pressure?

Let us know how the 150 and Nomad are!

I tested everything on tiger road -east summit-off the grid-drop in-predator. I thought I just worked better with the 150, it’s less active rear, more ground hugging, the megatower I guess the active rear can be attributed to the progression of the frame design? My climbing times were a toss up between MT and 150, maybe a touch faster on the 150, it felt easier tho, despite being fast climbing on Mega it felt like more work despite 30x51. The Mega to be fair was in the low setting whereas many like it best in high. Hoping to demo Nomad today or tomorrow and run it in the high setting. So far I’m leaning 150, coming from a 5.5 it just felt like home.

My buddy the shoprat ( good rider at a Santa cruz/ yeti/ Ibis dealer ) went from owning the 5.5 (loved it ) to owning the 150 he said the uphill times were the same and of course the 150 rips on the DH but he sounded a little meh about the 150 which just goes to show here is a guy who gets to ride & sell all the top enduro bikes but they don't all speak the same way to every rider

I tested everything on tiger road -east summit-off the grid-drop in-predator. I thought I just worked better with the 150, it’s less active rear, more ground hugging, the megatower I guess the active rear can be attributed to the progression of the frame design? My climbing times were a toss up between MT and 150, maybe a touch faster on the 150, it felt easier tho, despite being fast climbing on Mega it felt like more work despite 30x51. The Mega to be fair was in the low setting whereas many like it best in high. Hoping to demo Nomad today or tomorrow and run it in the high setting. So far I’m leaning 150, coming from a 5.5 it just felt like home.
    The bike that speaks to you is the right bike! Let us know how the Nomad rides.

Side note, wish I was in Seattle, Im getting jealous!!!

My buddy the shoprat ( good rider at a Santa cruz/ yeti/ Ibis dealer ) went from owning the 5.5 (loved it ) to owning the 150 he said the uphill times were the same and of course the 150 rips on the DH but he sounded a little meh about the 150 which just goes to show here is a guy who gets to ride & sell all the top enduro bikes but they don't all speak the same way to every rider
    What did he go with/. Or I should say, what is he loving most of his many choices in that category?

the SB 150 a great bike but he was matter of fact about it

didn't really sound as enthused as he did when the got a new 5.5 2 years ago

Maybe they spend too much time hanging out with hot bikes and become jaded ?

Maybe they spend too much time hanging out with hot bikes and become jaded ?
    Ha I laughed. Does he have one of the current crop of bikes he sells/works with that wows him?

Maybe they spend too much time hanging out wit hot bikes and become jaded ?
    I think maybe because some of these bikes are becoming a bit more specific/niche in their role, enduro vs. all mountain trail destroyers?

I really like the way the SB150 rides (even climbs excellent), although it does feel stretched and slack in the front centre (6'2", rode both the XL and L). SB130 was an absolute sporty trail ripper, up and down and in XL does not feel too long. Megatower and Hightower2 (both XL and Air) feel very comfortable/familiar in fit, however I must hate the tune on the Mega because I liked my first rip today on the Hightower WAY MORE. I need to put more time in again on the Megatower (in HIGH setting) and the XL SB150 (to see if I can get used to the longer front end) but right now I may be leaning towards the Hightower (except the SA is NOT as steep as the Yetis and I would want to throw a 160 on there which would only slack that out more, and it doesn't accept an X2 (I tried) although the stock RSair does feel good).

I DO want to get to the bottom of why I've had such different experiences Mega vs. High, i.e. how much is due to kinematics and how much is due to tune?

I wish they made the sb150 with a 440 reach...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    In between size? Yeah that's why I'm leaning towards the SC's because they fit better (and at XL I like that longer chain stay option on the Mega).

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Second’ed. My arms are short af, but I do try to pay for tabs

Demo’d the Nomad this afternoon. Thoughts are: wow, it’s really f’in good. Especially going down. To me it’s just a better bike than the megatower. Full stop.

Having said that, and I’m not sure if it’s just the way it goes with 27.5 I wish it climbed better at slow speeds with a little tech. Not bad just not as good as 150 or MT. Wish it climbed like just 10% better. But man it was so fun going down, perfect blend of truck through and pop over.

So where does this leave me:
    The 150 is the best climber, but can I make it like 10-15% nimbler down?

The nomad was probably my favorite down, but can I make it climb 10-15% better?

Or do I say f it and go sb165 and underfork it to 170, thereby getting the steep STA and switch infinity (helping climbing) but also getting that sweet downhill fun of the 27.5. If my numbers are correct , bringing it down to 170 fork you basically get a transition patrol but with the rear end niceness of the yeti that I like.

anyway.

Have you tried the Bronson?

Not on your list and I haven’t tried any of them but might be worth the list is the new devinci spartan. I tried my buddies 27.5 and really liked the fit(long torso/short leg). Pedalled quite well considering how well it eats up rough trail and good price point. Then I went to the devinci demo day and tried the spartan 29. I had only done parking lot tests of 29ers until then. I was blown away. Climbed really well and very playful on the down. It didn’t have the drawbacks I had anticipated and felt on older geo 9ers I had been on. Steep seat angle was great. I could notice the bigger wheel on the down in the corners but it was minimal, not near as much as I expected. Tire is aa little to close to the twins though ,with my 29” inseam , for jumping or drops. The bike still had short chainstays on the 9er so I was thinking I could put a 27.5 rear wheel on it for dh days. The new geo changed my whole impression of 29ers. Only a one hour ride but it was intuitive from the get go and I found it hard to fault anything about it

The bronson climbs a lot better with a steeper STA and is still a lot of fun on the way down. Give it a try if you can.

Have you tried the patrol?

No- but patrol seems like it would be even more poppy the nomad? - also to be fair, Ive run out of demos that can be credited toward a frame purchase. (3) 😆😆😆

Dude try a Bronson