Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Anyone been on a Patrol and/or a DeVinci Spartan or Rocky Mountain Slayer? Care to compare or take a couple PMs? That’s a nice deal, feels like the bike is well spec’d at full price compared to a lot of competitors. Seems like a great deal at 20% off.
    Which spartan and which slayer? The previous slayer, not the 2020 one, was a much better climbing bike then any of the Spartans. Downhill they were about equal, I couldn’t really tell a difference. I actually liked the 29er Troy better then either of the Spartans.

The new “it” thing is to Mullet the Patrol. For the 20% savings you could have one heck of a mullet bike that slays. If I didn’t own a Sentinel, I’d consider that. Actually, I’d just get a 2020 Slayer or 2020 Commencal Meta AM 29er.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Which "New" Bike? Nomad/Patrol/Insurgent/?

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Which spartan and which slayer? The previous slayer, not the 2020 one, was a much better climbing bike then any of the Spartans. Downhill they were about equal, I couldn’t really tell a difference. I actually liked the 29er Troy better then either of the Spartans.

The new “it” thing is to Mullet the Patrol. For the 20% savings you could have one heck of a mullet bike that slays. If I didn’t own a Sentinel, I’d consider that. Actually, I’d just get a 2020 Slayer or 2020 Commencal Meta AM 29er.

Right, whoops I was not clear - 27.5 2017-19ish Slayer and the current gen 29er Spartan with 170/160mm travel. I meant to ask if anyone who has ridden those bikes has gotten on a Patrol. Particularly curious about how well it climbs— I don’t think I’m a good enough rider with enough experience on these kinds of bikes to get particular about the downhill characteristics of these bikes. But FWIW I actually found the 29 Spartan to be even more comfortable at speed vs the Slayer on downhills fwiw. I felt the same way you did about the bikes on climbs, the Slayer is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Right, whoops I was not clear - 27.5 2017-19ish Slayer and the current gen 29er Spartan with 170/160mm travel. I meant to ask if anyone who has ridden those bikes has gotten on a Patrol. Particularly curious about how well it climbs— I don’t think I’m a good enough rider with enough experience on these kinds of bikes to get particular about the downhill characteristics of these bikes. But FWIW I actually found the 29 Spartan to be even more comfortable at speed vs the Slayer on downhills fwiw. I felt the same way you did about the bikes on climbs, the Slayer is better.
    What is a Self-Jupiter? Sounds erotic.

Anyway, I looked into Slayer v. Patrol a little while ago, and remember these two links:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...hreadid=202650
    https://getsomeadventures.com/2018-q...rule-them-all/

Sounds like Slayer is a bit more DH oriented, and Patrol climbs a bit better. To be clear, I've never ridden the Slayer.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

Anyway, I looked into Slayer v. Patrol a little while ago, and remember these two links:

Sounds like Slayer is a bit more DH oriented, and Patrol climbs a bit better. To be clear, I've never ridden the Slayer.
    It is not intended to reference an obscure rapper of the same name. Thx 4 links. Interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

That first link is old and talks about the previous generation Patrol. The second link is about the newer Patrol. I haven't ridden the Slayer or Spartan so can't provide useful comparisons.

Comparing the 29er Spartan to the 27.5 Slayer isn’t quite fair because the 29er Spartan will roll over things better and be more comfortable at speed, because it’s a 29er.

I think any of the 2015-2019 gen long travel 27.5 bikes would be perfect candidates to Mullet. The Slayer climbs like a beast, I bet as a mullet bike it would be even better, and smoother on the DH too.

Pretty much my answer to everything is turn it into a Mullet bike.

#1,522
    Just did a few laps on the new SLAYER. Holy , what a bike. Hands down my favorite out of the new long travel bikes I rode (Megatrail, Gambler, sb165). If it were 3-4 pounds lighter I would buy two. Would bang all day, every day.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    #1,522
    Just did a few laps on the new SLAYER. Holy , what a bike. Hands down my favorite out of the new long travel bikes I rode (Megatrail, Gambler, sb165). If it were 3-4 pounds lighter I would buy two. Would bang all day, every day.
    Instinct or Instinct BC are the lighter version, no? Sounds like either will take a coil and some longer travel.

You at Wydaho rideit? I'm taking the Instinct BC out right now; if you're a large it should be back...later!

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Instinct or Instinct BC are the lighter version, no?
    I was hoping the new Instinct would be out before the new Slayer but alas, not until Summer 2020 for the brand new revisions.

I was there yesterday. The Instinct/BC will be updated for 2021, I am likely getting that, but I will need to ride it first. It is the same design as the last few years still.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yeah apparently I got derailed by the description of same frames for Instinct and Instinct BC. SA is an obvious difference, though; I liked the BC pretty well, but even if the travel (155mm) is as desired, it could use a steeper SA.

Selling my 2017 Patrol - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...trol-mtb-large

I want this out of my garage. Make me an offer!
    sproing!

Traded in a 2016 alloy scout for a 2019 carbon patrol this spring. The things a fucking rocket, stupid fun. Still happy cranking 6k days, but way more fun and confidence inspiring on the down. As long as you don't live somewhere flat, this is an amazing machine. Only thing it sucks at are sharp uphill switchbacks just due to the head angle and wheelbase, climbing is otherwise great. Up trails I leave the shock open, up dirt roads I switch it.

Bikes are so damn good these days it's amazing.

Wrong thread

Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.