Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    ^ this is gonna sound terrible, and misguided, but it’s too conservative for what I’m looking for in this purchase. Despite it probably being perfect. I’m an idiot.

My brain/logic says 150
    My heart says 165

I agree with the Bronson.... worth a try... will climb better then the Nomad and not a hell of a lot different on the way down

Go to Bellingham and ride a patrol before you buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I think you be right.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    ^ this is gonna sound terrible, and misguided, but it’s too conservative for what I’m looking for in this purchase. Despite it probably being perfect. I’m an idiot.

My brain/logic says 150
    My heart says 165
    Then get a nomad like me and just enjoy the view on the way up

My brain/logic says 150
    My heart says 165
    FWIW I love my Tracer T275. 165mm travel. I have never regretted it.

My brain/logic says 150
    My heart says 165
    Bronson is awesome, but I ended up with Tracer as noted in previous post. However, this post is just an excuse to link this comparison, which I really mostly like because of the highlighted quote about halfway down:

"If you listened to reason, you wouldn't by either of these bikes."

Absolutely true. Fuck reason.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/intense-tr...-nomad-review/

<snip>
    So where does this leave me:
    The 150 is the best climber, but can I make it like 10-15% nimbler down?

The nomad was probably my favorite down, but can I make it climb 10-15% better?
    I improved my 140/150 "do-everything" bike by putting a 160 coil fork on it. Way better than the pile-of-shit Fox 34 that came stock when it comes to going down...

Anuther buddy told me his " My Nomad was a little better on the DH, but the 5.5 climbed better than the Nomad, the new Ripmo is a lot like the 5.5, pink bike sez these are all the best enduro bikes and we sell all 3 "

A lota good bikes out there and buddy is a minimalist with the words eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Anuther buddy told me his " My Nomad was a little better on the DH, but the 5.5 climbed better than the Nomad, the new Ripmo is a lot like the 5.5, pink bike sez these are all the best enduro bikes and we sell all 3 "

A lota good bikes out there and buddy is a minimalist with the words eh
    Truly no bad bikes.

Buddy put the differences between them all at + or - 10% so it just depends on what you want I would guess

I like the fox shock/fork/ seat post on my 5.5, how they spec them is pretty big i think
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah I’m a fox slut as well

Admittedly I've always been the type of rider to just 'ride the bike' so I have trouble speaking eloquently on what works/doesn't work. I'm a fast climber so I know I want an efficient pedalling design, yet we ride everything including BC+AB bike parks, long epics, enduro racing all on the same bike. Currently I ride the original Hightower but with a 160 36/X2 setup and like it.

This season I've been in the fortunate position of helping out with a local shop's demo fleet (Megatower, Hightower2, SB150, SB130, etc) and have really been trying to learn and understand the nuances of the different bikes, its not easy and you really need to ride everything on the same track with lots of variety in a short time span. Then you add in different setups (build weights, HIGH/LOW positions, tires, etc) and nothing is an oranges-oranges comparison. Yes, a lot of good bikes but some glaring differences and nothing that clearly stands out TO ME as a favourite/purchase, AND as a person that rides XL bikes, I feel like the front centre/rear centre ratios maybe becoming too skewed in this era of long/low/slack???

Still want to try the Ripmo, which BTW, everyone I know including the reps (and EWS riders) rides with an Angleset or fork setup at 170. Also the Forbidden Druid, a buddy is raving but he is sponsored/test rider (this is the one bike that takes the FC/RC ratio into account).

Extra shock on the spartan 9er and short stroke it for 150rear air shick with the 170 fork and a coil shock for the standard 165rear w tge 170 fork

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I second this, the steep seat angle really does make a difference climbing, and that may be a big part of the reason you felt the SB150 and Megatower felt better climbing. The Patrol should feel a lot like the Nomad but climb more comfortably.

Same with the spartan. Steep seat angle is teh bidness

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Same with the spartan. Steep seat angle is teh bidness

Yup, and I feel the SCs don't come close to the way the Yetis feel in the SA department.

Which &quot;New&quot; Bike? Nomad/Patrol/Insurgent/?

I demoed a DeVinci Spartan 29er and a Rocky Mountain Slayer (27.5er) recently. I felt like the Slayer was a better climber and more playful on the way down, the Spartan was a freight train but more playful than I expected it to be considering how long it felt. I didn’t feel the Slayer climbed that much worse on fire roads than my plus hardtail, and I think I preferred it for climbing singletrack. That thing sung to me.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Yup, and I feel the SCs don't come close to the way the Yetis feel in the SA department.
    Only gripe with my Hightower LT
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Only gripe with my Hightower LT
    I even mean the NEW SCs, Megatower/Hightower2 vs. SB130/150, the Yeti's are noticeable steeper/more centred body position.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I demoed a DeVinci Spartan 29er and a Rocky Mountain Slayer (27.5er) recently. I felt like the Slayer was a better climber and more playful on the way down, the Spartan was a freight train but more playful than I expected it to be considering how long it felt. I didn’t feel the Slayer climbed that much worse on fire roads than my plus hardtail, and I think I preferred it for climbing singletrack. That thing sung to me.
    Interesting. Similar numbers apart from more stand over on the spartan. Maybe the slayer has more anti squat. Had a little play on a friends slayer. More time on the altitude though. Nice bikes

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Interesting. Similar numbers apart from more stand over on the spartan. Maybe the slayer has more anti squat. Had a little play on a friends slayer. More time on the altitude though. Nice bikes

The Slayer is underrated as a climber. It was the first long travel bike I didn’t mind taking anywhere. I did 20-30 mile epics on it. Bike was great, and you can find them used in pretty good condition too.

If you are going to Bellingham to ride the Patrol, ride the Sentinel. Ignore the numbers, just go ride it and see how you feel.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    There are rumors afloat of a 29-er Slayer, I am waiting to see geo numbers, but that may be my next bike. Hopefully they keep the reach around (heh) 440 for the playful factor.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There are rumors afloat of a 29-er Slayer, I am waiting to see geo numbers, but that may be my next bike. Hopefully they keep the reach around (heh) 440 for the playful factor.
    also saw those, also curious.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Very soon...Crankworx starts in a week.

Maybe a press camp/dealer launch now?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1268295d1564618947-rocky-mountain-slayer-img_8747.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	289855