Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Seeking advice from the collective. I got back into MTB last summer after a long hiatus, and I’m hooked. I’ve never owned anything but hardtails, never thought I would be interested in some bike park, etc but I caught the bug. Now feeling that riding lifts will really help improve my riding on trails and would be fun too. I live 1.5 hours from Highland in NH.

I have a vintage XC race bike that I’m continuing to build up, an entry level alu fat bike that I ride on the beach / in winter/mud and a Deore-spec plus hardtail I ride as a trail bike. Keeping the XC and fat bike.

Looking to upgrade the trail bike to full suspension that I can occasionally use at bike park. Local local trails are mostly XC, but can be rough (think the Fells, Breakheart, Lynn Woods etc) not a lot of sustained downhills. But I’ve recently fallen in love with real mountain-style trails which I will be traveling to as much as I can.

My brain says I should get something like this- Santa Cruz 5010 (130mm travel)

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...942941322.html

But being a newb and a loser (slow learner) with the wrenches, I’m not confident in buying used bikes, so it would be a process to buy on CL.

Recently I’ve been demoing FS rides. I rode a 2018-19 Rocky Mountain Slayer 30 (170mm/165mm) on mountain-style trails and freaking loved it. Didn’t mind the way it climbed at all, was able to play a little on the downhills, etc. kind of wish it weren’t carbon, but it wouldn’t be as fun if it weren’t. I can get it for $2400 from a shop that has been awesome to me regarding the plus hardtail I bought used from them- they just fixed the fork and rear hub for the cost of parts almost a year later. So it’s a comfortable purchase, but is it too much bike? On one hand, I think it will make up for mistakes if I begin taking more risks in the Park/bigger more challenging trails. On the other hand, it might just be stupid. WWMD?
    I had a carbon Slayer C50 last summer and the bike is a ton of fun on anything not pure XC. It makes the pure XC a little too easy. You really can’t go wrong with the Slayer C30 you demoed at that price. It will be a great downcountry (I love that term) and park bike. A note about carbon, I beat the crap out of my bike. Thought I cracked the frame at Downieville I blew up in a rock garden so bad, took a 6in by 3 in chunk of paint off the frame, but no damage to the carbon. Rocky Mountain builds some tough as nails carbon bikes, so I wouldn’t be worried about carbon v aluminum with them, or really anyone.

Transition Patrol and Sentinel are awesome carbon and aluminum bikes too. If I moved back east and I’d keep my Sentinel or Scout (27.5) or Smuggler (29er) (Transitions versions of the 5010). Those guys beat up their bikes more then the average Joe will ever and they come back kicking.

Way to go on the SB165 buy! Stoked for pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Seeking advice from the collective. I got back into MTB last summer after a long hiatus, and I’m hooked. I’ve never owned anything but hardtails, never thought I would be interested in some bike park, etc but I caught the bug. Now feeling that riding lifts will really help improve my riding on trails and would be fun too. I live 1.5 hours from Highland in NH.

I have a vintage XC race bike that I’m continuing to build up, an entry level alu fat bike that I ride on the beach / in winter/mud and a Deore-spec plus hardtail I ride as a trail bike. Keeping the XC and fat bike.

Looking to upgrade the trail bike to full suspension that I can occasionally use at bike park. Local local trails are mostly XC, but can be rough (think the Fells, Breakheart, Lynn Woods etc) not a lot of sustained downhills. But I’ve recently fallen in love with real mountain-style trails which I will be traveling to as much as I can.

But being a newb and a loser (slow learner) with the wrenches, I’m not confident in buying used bikes, so it would be a process to buy on CL.

Recently I’ve been demoing FS rides. I rode a 2018-19 Rocky Mountain Slayer 30 (170mm/165mm) on mountain-style trails and freaking loved it. Didn’t mind the way it climbed at all, was able to play a little on the downhills, etc. kind of wish it weren’t carbon, but it wouldn’t be as fun if it weren’t. I can get it for $2400 from a shop that has been awesome to me regarding the plus hardtail I bought used from them- they just fixed the fork and rear hub for the cost of parts almost a year later. So it’s a comfortable purchase, but is it too much bike? On one hand, I think it will make up for mistakes if I begin taking more risks in the Park/bigger more challenging trails. On the other hand, it might just be stupid. WWMD?
    I have a scout and it’s a great little bike but if I was looking for a trail bike that i could also use in the park I’d look for more travel. I find that extra travel gives a safety margin that allows me to try more lines and advance. Slayer would be great in the park and people have said in the thread it pedals well but depending on how much use outside the park the altitude may suit the usage more. Depends. For outside the park it’s also possible to pick up a used air shock off pinkbike at a reasonable price to make the travel less for pedal days(same eye to eye just less stroke). My scout isn’t cutting it for a one bike rule them all atm. I’m looking at a commencal clash or the devinci spartan. Seem to have the numbers and best price point I’ve found. Similar parts , clash is a bit cheaper but it has a lower end shock. Add a dropper to the bottom of the line model clash for the smoking deal, or spartan 9er aluminium with a coil rear shock and 27.5 rear wheel in your tool box for park days. For a long travel 9er it has some giddy up for daily pedals

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, I was perusing Pinkbike, looking at a used Ibis Ripmo. It is being sold by Jeff Weed.
    I think that’s a red flag that the bike wasn’t ridden on Sundays to church.
    lol, he says he needs to sell it to cover medical bills!

But jkw is so smooth, he doesn't really beat bikes up...

(that is, of course, the bike in question)

Thanks for the replies, guys. I’m thinking I have mellow XC trails covered with my vintage XC race bike, it makes those trails feel more exciting, it’s fun to ride I just need some beefier wheels for it. I guess I have to decide whether or not I want to have a bike that I pedal more around the rougher trails at home, or gear the bike more toward riding lifts / downcountry area trips. A 150mmish bike may do both. I just loved that Slayer, and $2400 with help when it breaks feels like a good deal.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I’m thinking I have mellow XC trails covered with my vintage XC race bike, it makes those trails feel more exciting, it’s fun to ride I just need some beefier wheels for it. I guess I have to decide whether or not I want to have a bike that I pedal more around the rougher trails at home, or gear the bike more toward riding lifts / downcountry area trips. A 150mmish bike may do both. I just loved that Slayer, and $2400 with help when it breaks feels like a good deal.
    So I was pretty much in the exact same boat as you last summer. Had been on my Kona Process 134 for three years, but started getting much more into weekend trips to the bike park. (I'm in Montreal so less than an hour to Bromont). The aluminum process bikes are totally bomber, but 134 for a day at the bike park really beats you up. I was looking for something that would allow me to progress at the bike park but still be fun for regular trail riding.

I demoed the slayer last summer and then picked up a C30 on a good price (although not as good as you can get).

The Ride 4 is amazing in terms of how it transforms the bike. For trail riding, i keep it in the steepest setting. Here it feels like a totally normal trail bike, with just a lot extra on reserve. It climbs tech shockingly well. I've gotten up some of the nastiest, wettest rootiest no flow east coast trails on it, to the point where I'm like I don't have any clue how it worked. (I'm not that good of a rider). Also easy to pop it off any little root or rock and send yourself flying.

When I ride park I just drop it into the slackest position, and its just settles into berms and corners and makes jumping so easy. Again I'm not rad, but I've progressed to feeling really comfortable on 10 foot table tops, and 5-6 foot drops this year. As Grinch noted having more bike when you start trying shit out of your skill/comfort zone can be a life saver.

As far as the c30 build is concerned, obviously any of it can be upgraded, but for just trail riding, your good to go. The Deluxe RT keeps the bike feeling lively. The rear cassette 10-42 can really make you work on longer steeper climbs but I just chose to look at that as reason to get in better shape. The c30 definitely feels like a trail build.

In the park the biggest downer are the Guide brakes. They are super under powered and I feel like my hands are about to fall off at the end of day. The are going soon. The Yari holds up really well everywhere for me.

My short term plan is to pick up a Marzocchi Bomber CR coil and just swap it in for park days, change the breaks and keep riding the living shit out of it.

Finally I'm not going to lie, as life long metal head, the fact that Rocky named this bike after my favorite thrash band sealed the deal.

Just saw Slayer last week on their farewell tour. The bike is worthy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190728_222244.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	619.0 KB 
ID:	290350

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post

Yeah, but i don't wanna see the outtakes and blooper reels.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    So I was pretty much in the exact same boat as you last summer. Had been on my Kona Process 134 for three years, but started getting much more into weekend trips to the bike park. (I'm in Montreal so less than an hour to Bromont). The aluminum process bikes are totally bomber, but 134 for a day at the bike park really beats you up. I was looking for something that would allow me to progress at the bike park but still be fun for regular trail riding.

I demoed the slayer last summer and then picked up a C30 on a good price (although not as good as you can get).

The Ride 4 is amazing in terms of how it transforms the bike. For trail riding, i keep it in the steepest setting. Here it feels like a totally normal trail bike, with just a lot extra on reserve. It climbs tech shockingly well. I've gotten up some of the nastiest, wettest rootiest no flow east coast trails on it, to the point where I'm like I don't have any clue how it worked. (I'm not that good of a rider). Also easy to pop it off any little root or rock and send yourself flying.

When I ride park I just drop it into the slackest position, and its just settles into berms and corners and makes jumping so easy. Again I'm not rad, but I've progressed to feeling really comfortable on 10 foot table tops, and 5-6 foot drops this year. As Grinch noted having more bike when you start trying shit out of your skill/comfort zone can be a life saver.

As far as the c30 build is concerned, obviously any of it can be upgraded, but for just trail riding, your good to go. The Deluxe RT keeps the bike feeling lively. The rear cassette 10-42 can really make you work on longer steeper climbs but I just chose to look at that as reason to get in better shape. The c30 definitely feels like a trail build.

In the park the biggest downer are the Guide brakes. They are super under powered and I feel like my hands are about to fall off at the end of day. The are going soon. The Yari holds up really well everywhere for me.

My short term plan is to pick up a Marzocchi Bomber CR coil and just swap it in for park days, change the breaks and keep riding the living shit out of it.

Finally I'm not going to lie, as life long metal head, the fact that Rocky named this bike after my favorite thrash band sealed the deal.

I left my slayer in the second slackest setting and never touched it, it was fine for anything I did out west. I would upgrade the brakes, I had the C50 with XT brakes and was planning on getting the 4 piston XT brakes when they were available. My Sentinel came with Code RSC’s and I haven’t felt any brake fade on them yet. A whole day at Whistler definitely did a number on the pads (I know stop dragging my back brake), but they never faded once. They get a huge vote of confidence.

When I get the Sentinel, the guys at Transition moved the brake levers in to my first knuckle, and I was skeptical, but wow, it’s made a huge difference. I was always a lever under the tip of my finger guy, but I’m 1000% sold on under the first knuckle now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for posting this and everyone else for the responses. I'm in a similar situation (and the exact same location apparently) so might see you out there once I make up my mind..

Which "New" Bike? Nomad/Patrol/Insurgent/?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Thanks for posting this and everyone else for the responses. I'm in a similar situation (and the exact same location apparently) so might see you out there once I make up my mind..
    Nice. Feel free to PM — this place is selling more bikes, maybe they have one in your size, I ride a medium frame. I’m leaning toward getting this Slayer, sounds like I can easily sell it if I want to down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post

Thanks for the feedback, Shu, it reinforces a lot of what I’ve been spinning in my head and felt on the bike. I couldn’t get over what I could just sit down and pedal over on that thing. And I figured my plus hardtail was tough to beat when it came to that, but the Slayer was better at it.

Here’s a pic from the first wing of the tour last June Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6087.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	290414
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 08-06-2019 at 09:04 AM.

She’s here. And she’s real, and she’s spectacular.

Name:	RfILEFn.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	291382

Name:	0r21KpD.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	291383

Name:	H6LOvJB.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	925.2 KB 
ID:	291384

Name:	vHJBxXg.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	934.6 KB 
ID:	291385

Name:	TBxiEmK.jpg 
Size:	842.4 KB 
ID:	291386
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Hey - it's not broken!

Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post

Looks terrible at biking up trees, i wouldn't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    She’s here. And she’s real, and she’s spectacular.

Name:	0r21KpD.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	291383

Name:	H6LOvJB.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	925.2 KB 
ID:	291384

Name:	vHJBxXg.jpg 
Size:	934.6 KB 
ID:	291385

Name:	TBxiEmK.jpg 
Size:	842.4 KB 
ID:	291386
    Insert Borat voice.... Very Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Hey - it's not broken!

Yet.

Ouch!

Name:  yeti-cracked.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  87.3 KB

yeah, i've had some friends have similar problems. yeti replaced the frames for them but it was a bit of a wait.

is that blood?

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    yeah, i've had some friends have similar problems. yeti replaced the frames for them but it was a bit of a wait.
    Just ride it like a grandma and you'll be fine!

is that blood?
    Sure looks like it, doesn't it?

I just put a 140mm fork on my SB 100, I am seriously tempting fate.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

certainly looks like blood.... Yeti so strong it broke his leg! (before it broke)

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Name:  yeti-cracked.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  87.3 KB

That looks like Gondi plaza.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That looks like Gondi plaza.
    Probably crashed shuttling Scottie’s.

Transition is selling all of its Patrols for 20% off. I just upgraded my 2017 aluminum Patrol to the 2019 car-bone.

Speaking of which, I am selling my 2017 Patrol in large. Will post a FS soon. I LOVE this bike, and did not even consider a different model when deciding to break my bank.
    sproing!

Which "New" Bike? Nomad/Patrol/Insurgent/?

Anyone been on a Patrol and/or a DeVinci Spartan or Rocky Mountain Slayer? Care to compare or take a couple PMs? That’s a nice deal, feels like the bike is well spec’d at full price compared to a lot of competitors. Seems like a great deal at 20% off.

Anyone been on a Patrol and/or a DeVinci Spartan or Rocky Mountain Slayer? Care to compare or take a couple PMs? That’s a nice deal, feels like the bike is well spec’d at full price compared to a lot of competitors. Seems like a great deal at 20% off.
    Yeah great deal. Pretty much ready for anything on the GX build at a decent weight.