Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Results 176 to 189 of 189
  1. #176
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Anyone been on a Patrol and/or a DeVinci Spartan or Rocky Mountain Slayer? Care to compare or take a couple PMs? Thatís a nice deal, feels like the bike is well specíd at full price compared to a lot of competitors. Seems like a great deal at 20% off.
    Which spartan and which slayer? The previous slayer, not the 2020 one, was a much better climbing bike then any of the Spartans. Downhill they were about equal, I couldnít really tell a difference. I actually liked the 29er Troy better then either of the Spartans.

    The new ďitĒ thing is to Mullet the Patrol. For the 20% savings you could have one heck of a mullet bike that slays. If I didnít own a Sentinel, Iíd consider that. Actually, Iíd just get a 2020 Slayer or 2020 Commencal Meta AM 29er.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,831

    Which "New" Bike? Nomad/Patrol/Insurgent/?

    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Which spartan and which slayer? The previous slayer, not the 2020 one, was a much better climbing bike then any of the Spartans. Downhill they were about equal, I couldnít really tell a difference. I actually liked the 29er Troy better then either of the Spartans.

    The new ďitĒ thing is to Mullet the Patrol. For the 20% savings you could have one heck of a mullet bike that slays. If I didnít own a Sentinel, Iíd consider that. Actually, Iíd just get a 2020 Slayer or 2020 Commencal Meta AM 29er.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Right, whoops I was not clear - 27.5 2017-19ish Slayer and the current gen 29er Spartan with 170/160mm travel. I meant to ask if anyone who has ridden those bikes has gotten on a Patrol. Particularly curious about how well it climbsó I donít think Iím a good enough rider with enough experience on these kinds of bikes to get particular about the downhill characteristics of these bikes. But FWIW I actually found the 29 Spartan to be even more comfortable at speed vs the Slayer on downhills fwiw. I felt the same way you did about the bikes on climbs, the Slayer is better.

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Right, whoops I was not clear - 27.5 2017-19ish Slayer and the current gen 29er Spartan with 170/160mm travel. I meant to ask if anyone who has ridden those bikes has gotten on a Patrol. Particularly curious about how well it climbs— I don’t think I’m a good enough rider with enough experience on these kinds of bikes to get particular about the downhill characteristics of these bikes. But FWIW I actually found the 29 Spartan to be even more comfortable at speed vs the Slayer on downhills fwiw. I felt the same way you did about the bikes on climbs, the Slayer is better.
    What is a Self-Jupiter? Sounds erotic.

    Anyway, I looked into Slayer v. Patrol a little while ago, and remember these two links:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...hreadid=202650
    https://getsomeadventures.com/2018-q...rule-them-all/

    Sounds like Slayer is a bit more DH oriented, and Patrol climbs a bit better. To be clear, I've never ridden the Slayer.
    sproing!

    FS: crampons, lightweight winter down sleeping bag, and stuff https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ost?highlight=

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,831
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    What is a Self-Jupiter? Sounds erotic.

    Anyway, I looked into Slayer v. Patrol a little while ago, and remember these two links:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...hreadid=202650
    https://getsomeadventures.com/2018-q...rule-them-all/

    Sounds like Slayer is a bit more DH oriented, and Patrol climbs a bit better. To be clear, I've never ridden the Slayer.
    It is not intended to reference an obscure rapper of the same name. Thx 4 links. Interesting..

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    What is a Self-Jupiter? Sounds erotic.

    Anyway, I looked into Slayer v. Patrol a little while ago, and remember these two links:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...hreadid=202650
    https://getsomeadventures.com/2018-q...rule-them-all/

    Sounds like Slayer is a bit more DH oriented, and Patrol climbs a bit better. To be clear, I've never ridden the Slayer.
    That first link is old and talks about the previous generation Patrol. The second link is about the newer Patrol. I haven't ridden the Slayer or Spartan so can't provide useful comparisons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,779

    Which "New" Bike? Nomad/Patrol/Insurgent/?

    Comparing the 29er Spartan to the 27.5 Slayer isnít quite fair because the 29er Spartan will roll over things better and be more comfortable at speed, because itís a 29er.

    I think any of the 2015-2019 gen long travel 27.5 bikes would be perfect candidates to Mullet. The Slayer climbs like a beast, I bet as a mullet bike it would be even better, and smoother on the DH too.

    Pretty much my answer to everything is turn it into a Mullet bike.
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,180
    #1,522
    Just did a few laps on the new SLAYER. Holy , what a bike. Hands down my favorite out of the new long travel bikes I rode (Megatrail, Gambler, sb165). If it were 3-4 pounds lighter I would buy two. Would bang all day, every day.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    #1,522
    Just did a few laps on the new SLAYER. Holy , what a bike. Hands down my favorite out of the new long travel bikes I rode (Megatrail, Gambler, sb165). If it were 3-4 pounds lighter I would buy two. Would bang all day, every day.
    Instinct or Instinct BC are the lighter version, no? Sounds like either will take a coil and some longer travel.

    You at Wydaho rideit? I'm taking the Instinct BC out right now; if you're a large it should be back...later!

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Instinct or Instinct BC are the lighter version, no?
    I was hoping the new Instinct would be out before the new Slayer but alas, not until Summer 2020 for the brand new revisions.

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,180
    I was there yesterday. The Instinct/BC will be updated for 2021, I am likely getting that, but I will need to ride it first. It is the same design as the last few years still.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,834
    Yeah apparently I got derailed by the description of same frames for Instinct and Instinct BC. SA is an obvious difference, though; I liked the BC pretty well, but even if the travel (155mm) is as desired, it could use a steeper SA.

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,801
    Selling my 2017 Patrol - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...trol-mtb-large

    I want this out of my garage. Make me an offer!
    sproing!

    FS: crampons, lightweight winter down sleeping bag, and stuff https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ost?highlight=

  13. #188
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    der town, WA
    Posts
    103
    Traded in a 2016 alloy scout for a 2019 carbon patrol this spring. The things a fucking rocket, stupid fun. Still happy cranking 6k days, but way more fun and confidence inspiring on the down. As long as you don't live somewhere flat, this is an amazing machine. Only thing it sucks at are sharp uphill switchbacks just due to the head angle and wheelbase, climbing is otherwise great. Up trails I leave the shock open, up dirt roads I switch it.

    Bikes are so damn good these days it's amazing.

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,779

    Which "New" Bike? Nomad/Patrol/Insurgent/?

    Wrong thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •