Steamboat Living

Looking at relocating the fam to Steamboat. Daughter is Sophomore in HS into xc running, skis alpine, xc ski poorly, GT introvert, son 7th grade plays lacrosse high level, skis alpine, GT extrovert big time. Currently live in Evergreen so the housing thing seems to be a bit of a wash-hey $800k is affordable! Just wondering what it is like overall, seems like hell of an island up there, not on way to anything, not close to anything. I grew up super small town, like 40% population related to me so the anonymity of a population I like. Wife will have big girl high profile job in town. Not interested in living in asscrackalackastan, will want to live in town. Do the locals all know each other for better or worse? Will I be picked out that hey her husband smokes pot, rides bike and skis like a freak all in the same day? I've ridden bike and skied a bunch up there so I get that area for that purpose, just overall life and living. Get claustrophobic? I telecommute and travel once a monthish so I'll be able to get out, she won't.

Thoughts, opinions, truth, lies appreciated.

It's like 13,000 people, you're just some guy, no one's gonna notice you.

A lot more people that that most of the winter, too.

Are you moving there forever? You grew up in a small town so you understand the longer you live there the smaller it’s going to get. This is especially true in mountain towns with transient populations. 13,000 may sound big but in 10-15 years it might not , for better or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Steamboat always struck me as one of the more livable ski towns in Colorado. It's helpful that it isn't boxed into a dead-end valley for 7 months a year, in terms of keeping it from feeling too small. While I haven't been a fan of living in here in general, Routt and Grand Counties always seemed the most interesting to me, but that's possibly because it actually tends to snow there more than twice a year for 20 minutes a time.

Rode the lift with their high school football coach one time. His complaint was the distance they have to drive to for games, so be aware of that.

Bigger town in the corner of the State, = driving farther to find other bigger schools.

He seems happy.

It is a resort town, even if smaller than others in Colorado. It is also funded through sales tax revenue which means most decisions are driven by a seemingly unquenchable thirst for more tourists, summer or winter (fireworks every Friday in the winter, multiple events every summer weekend).

The Hayden airport can be unreliable outside of the 3-4 months of winter service with United Express service and the drive to Denver gets old. You mentioned traveling so that's something to think about.

Avoid living in the mountain area or condo/townhome land. This will help buffer you from the tourists although you will do more driving to ski and shop, but being away from that will make living here easier. Unfortunately downtown housing is some of the most expensive for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Sounds like you should just move to Craig instead.

I'd do it just so I could eat at Los Jilbertos every day. That place is amazing.

Steamboat Living

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    Will I be picked out that hey her husband smokes pot, rides bike and skis like a freak all in the same day?.
    You have that backwards.

I have several friends, that like living In Steamboat.

A friend of mine loves it. He is a professional and married and raised kids there. He is very happy.