DEEP IMPACT WEBCAST! (boom and space related)

NASA's Deep Impact mission is slated to crash an 820-pound (371-kilogram) Impactor probe into Comet Tempel 1 and record the event via a Flyby mothership, orbital observatories like the Hubble and Spitzer space telescope, and a myriad of ground-based telescopes from around the world. The impact is expected to take place at 1:52 a.m. EDT (0552 GMT) on July 4.

Here's a handy list to track Deep Impact's progress on the web:

* NASA has arranged to webcast a series of press briefings leading up to Deep Impact's crash day, and will provide live mission coverage between July 3 and 4 on NASA TV. Click http://www.space.com/ to access SPACE.com's feed of NASA TV. A schedule of NASA TV broadcasts can be found here.

SPACE.com will provide updates from our reporter at Deep Impact mission control at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. For the latest news, see our Deep Impact Special Report.

* The Kitt Peak National Observatory in Tucson, Arizona will provide a live webcast of the collision beginning about an hour before the comet collision. Click http://www.noao.edu/news/deep-impact/ to tap into the webcast.

* In Bathurst, Australia, astronomers with the Charles Stuart University's Remote Telescope will broadcast live Deep Impact observations from sunset to midnight local time. The remote telescope can be accessed http://black-hole-net.mit.csu.edu.au...deepimpact.asp

* Atop Hawaii's Mauna Kea, the W.M. Keck Observatory will post near-real time images of Deep Impact's Tempel 1 crash here as seen through a Celestron 11-inch CGE telescope. http://astroday.net/DIH-Tempel.html

* Have a satellite television link? If so, you can listen in the European Space Agency's pre-comet crash features on the Deep Impact mission, as well as a live broadcast of crash day itself, via ESA Television. Coordinates and programming information can be found by clicking http://television.esa.int/default.cfm.

* While the above links are free to the public, the subscription service Slooh.com will also offer a live webcast Deep Impact's comet crash.

I smell nerd!!!!!

I'll show you nerd in August fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy
    I'll show you nerd in August fool!
    Bring it my man! Whatchu got?!

Rad way rad nerds kick ass
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

It's finally here, I've put 3 years of my life into this mission and it's really happening. Last night the impactor separation went as planned so it's on for tonight. Fingers crossed...

NASA dood: Hey I wounder what would happen if we were to drive a VW bus filled with TNT into a comet.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman
    NASA dood: Hey I wounder what would happen if we were to drive a VW bus filled with TNT into a comet.
    Proof positive that scientists really do come up with cool shit (even sober ones).

My parents are all fired up to check this out with their 5" telescope in Hawai`i, no luck here due to heavy clouds, though. Should be pretty cool looking - I'm stoked to check out the footy when it comes in.

Paging Ogre...

Quote Originally Posted by dbldmnd
    It's finally here, I've put 3 years of my life into this mission and it's really happening. Last night the impactor separation went as planned so it's on for tonight. Fingers crossed...
    onnit!
    nice work.

you must work with Mr. Crane?
    Yossarian = long time pal of his younger daughter...
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Do you work at Ball? Seems like it was a perfect hit, how did the pics
    turn out?

Russian sues Nasa for comet upset
    By Artyom Liss
    BBC News, Moscow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4649987.stm

Hours after a Nasa probe crashed into Comet Tempel 1, legal reverberations were felt in a Moscow court.

Judges in the tiny courtroom normally deal with matters much more mundane than space exploration. But Judge Litvinenko opened hearings into a case which could see Nasa pay a local amateur astrologist millions of dollars in damages.

Writer Marina Bay claims that by slamming the probe into the comet, Nasa endangered the future of civilisation. "Nobody has yet proven that this experiment was safe," says Ms Bay's lawyer Alexander Molokhov. "This impact could have altered the orbit of the comet, so now there is a chance that the Tempel may well destroy the Earth some day!"

This claim was brushed aside by Nasa mission engineer Shadan Ardalan. "The analogy is a mosquito hitting the front of an airliner in flight. The effect is negligible," Mr Ardalan told BBC News.

However, even if the comet stays at a safe distance from Earth, Ms Bay's own life, she thinks, will never be the same again.

An amateur astrologist, she believes that any variation in the orbit or the composition of the Tempel comet will certainly affect her own fate. So Ms Marina's claims to be experiencing "a moral trauma" - which only a payment of $300m (252m euros; £170m) can put right. This is roughly what Nasa has spent on the experiment so far.

Moscow representatives of the American space agency have ignored Monday's court hearing. But, by Russian law, this will not prevent the judge from continuing with the case.

Marina Bay's legal team remain confident, and they are even looking for volunteers to join in on the claim. "The impact changed the magnetic properties of the comet, and this could have affected mobile telephony here on Earth. If your phone went down this morning, ask yourself Why? and then get in touch with us," says Mr Molokhov.

So now it is up to the Moscow Presnya court to find an answer to this, truly universal, question. The final decision is not likely to be announced for at least another month.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmear
    So Ms Marina's claims to be experiencing "a moral trauma" - which only a payment of $300m (252m euros; £170m) can put right..
    Jesus, I have one of these "moral trauma's" everytime splat posts something. Maybe I can sue PMGEAR for the same amount? I know they're good for it.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Turns out the comet's made of pure powder:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/0...eut/index.html