Is ABS in trouble?

TSA confiscated my empty cylinder on a recent flight to SLC. Calling around to find one for rent in SLC revealed their supply network was not in good shape. Some unkind things were said.

ABS has been great with me in the past and given the investment I am very much hoping they pull through as I do not know if anyone would step up filling the cylinders and supplying the triggers.

So anyone have inside information?

Wait and buy an E1 or a Jetforce?

Why did TSA take your empty cylinder? Thought those were safe for travel if they were not charged. Let me guess, some TSA numbskull didn't know the regulations or what it even was. Did you get a full cavity search then? Don't get me started on the TSA....

Flown two times before with empty canister, once out of Portland too.

Pointed to the small hole perforation (first time it had gone to initial supervisor for a back room look) and said since air can go in and out is ok. On return, he said, I can not see inside (true) and it has mass he didn't know what it was (true) could not allow it. I don't think it matters what the rule says always up to discretion. Bounced it back to his supervisor one more time, but still a no go. Offered if I twisted off the valve head (ha) so he could look would be ok. Thought about filling with water, but hole is very small.

Electric probably is the way to go; gotta be the next boon for skiers to buy so sure companies will build it up. Sure Lou will be back on the band wagon

I've heard ABS rumors... they got bought out at the end of last year:

https://www.ispo.com/en/companies/ab...new-ceos-plans

They want to broaden their scope, also heard that they might be slowly getting out of the business of avalanche airbags. I know distribution in NA is pretty bad, and seems hard to source parts these days. They seem to be hurting to get companies onboard.

Mammut seems to be going all in on licensing their RAS and having canister rental/distribution worldwide.

I see Mammut running the non-battery avi airbags. Dakine has switched from ABS -> Mammut as well as Jones and Norrona... apparently Thule is working on an avi bag as well?

Thule

I was sort of surprised to see this during the media preview at OR.

Thule ski/snowboard - https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/backp...oard-backpacks

Thule generally makes pretty nice packs and luggage. Interested to see their airbag pack.

REI has Deuter ABS packs on sale right now, in the mid/low $300s. Tempted to pick one up to see how much gear really fits in one -- briefly had a Black Diamond battery/fan pack last year, but the gear carry layout wasn't to my liking. I really would prefer a battery/fan pack over a gas canister one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    Thule
    That pack looks great. I dig the wraparound hip carry sections. Does it use the mammut 3.0 system?

^ Yes. I've actually been using one for a month now. It's basically an upslope 35L with a 3.0 RAS system. If you have any questions, feel free to post them up. So far I'm loving the weight difference compared to my BD Saga 40.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    ^ Yes. I've actually been using one for a month now. It's basically an upslope 35L with a 3.0 RAS system. If you have any questions, feel free to post them up. So far I'm loving the weight difference compared to my BD Saga 40.
    sweet!
    How does it fit length-wise? The stock mammut bags are too short for me (anyone wanna buy a 35L pro?) so I've been using the Dakine with the RAS3.
    Does it come in Black?
    Can you swap the trigger to either side?
    Last edited by Judo Chop!; 02-02-2018 at 11:09 PM.

from where the straps come out of the pack, to the bottom, it's about 20" (so 20" of contact along my back). I'm 5' 10" pretty average build in every regard and it fits me good, not sure I would want to be too much shorter.

Not sure what colours retail will come in, mine's a sort of dark dark blue w/grey accents, and some lime green.

The trigger is not swappable, the straps do have a big zipper though which is super handy for radios though.

I got a spammy e-mail from ABS mentioning
    BELOW 2 KG — BUT 2 AIRBAGS
    With the s.LIGHT we are launching one of the lightest avalanche backpacks on the market. Without losing functionality and safety. For all newsletter recipients there will be the possibility to pre-order a s.LIGHT — filled with a surprise.
    Anyone have any further info?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Electric probably is the way to go; gotta be the next boon for skiers to buy so sure companies will build it up.
    I'm sure TSA will have no problems with a backpack with built in battery, electronics and a trigger mechanism

When you go shopping in eg Chamonix, there is almost nothing but ABS. You hardly ever see the battery stuff, which is heavy as fuck anyway.

Wanted to bump this.... found a cheap ABS pack, something like 50% off, and actually includes bag and cylinder, but am I going to have a chore getting it refilled/support for it? What’s doing with ABS?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Company is still in good standing, releasing new product. Their presence in Europe is pretty big. But there is still lots of places in North America that carry the product, and have refill exchange. Their distribution has improved. Major retailers like EVO are still buying new product from them, this gives me confident that the product is still relevant.
    I have a pack and multiple different size zip on bags. To me this is the most beneficial feature of these packs. I have a full canister, a full canister stashed at my buddies house in Whistler, and an empty one at home incase I want to fly somewhere and exchange it for a full one. If I want to fly somewhere, I find a shop that has an exchange program call them and make sure they have a canister in stock, and ask if I can pay to exchange my empty for a full, and then give them back their full canister and take back my empty to fly home. I've managed to do this successfully twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Company is still in good standing, releasing new product. Their presence in Europe is pretty big. But there is still lots of places in North America that carry the product, and have refill exchange. Their distribution has improved. Major retailers like EVO are still buying new product from them, this gives me confident that the product is still relevant.
    I have a pack and multiple different size zip on bags. To me this is the most beneficial feature of these packs. I have a full canister, a full canister stashed at my buddies house in Whistler, and an empty one at home incase I want to fly somewhere and exchange it for a full one. If I want to fly somewhere, I find a shop that has an exchange program call them and make sure they have a canister in stock, and ask if I can pay to exchange my empty for a full, and then give them back their full canister and take back my empty to fly home. I've managed to do this successfully twice.
    Noice dude! That’s good feedback, so there whole system is no refills just exchanges correct?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Noice dude! That’s good feedback, so there whole system is no refills just exchanges correct?
    Correct. Take old canister and trigger into shop, pay $60 get an exchange it for a fresh canister and trigger.