Recs for alpine boot while broken toe heals

I’m looking for rec’s for alpine boots to use while my toe heels.

I broke a bone in my pinky toe (third from the tip) a few weeks back. I’ve been following podiatrist’s rec’s ever since: buddy taping, keeping it in a boot-thing, minimizing (ideally eliminating) all flexing of the toe, and reducing activity level on my feet. At my first appt 2 wks ago w/ the doc, he told me that I should probably be able to ski in an alpine boot after the initial month of healing (after follow-up appt), but probably not in my tele boots until 6-8 weeks of recovery because of boot sole flex.

Any suggestions about temporary use of alpine boots? What should I be looking for and where can I find something cheap (and temporary)? They need to be easy to get my foot into (i.e. no squeezing), and not have pressure on my toes from the sides, but have a way to hold down the instep so my foot’s not sliding forward (instep buckle). This is just for skiing the groomers with the grubs. I’m ok with skiing in boots that are too big or sloppy fit as long as my foot’s not sliding fwd. maybe there are some rear entry boots that could work? Not sure if I’d find any (second hand and cheap) in the sac, truckee, or north lake area (or reno), but maybe. I’d probably borrow a pair of alpine skis from a nearby friend.

this shit sucks. we have season passes. the family wants to ski, but me riding with them on lifts and down is a critical component.

Thoughts?

A lot of used AT boots at The Backcountry and Tahoe Sports Hub.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

thanks. a friend of mine mentioned that his maelstre's (sp?) are pretty easy to get into. i'd imagine that other AT boots could be, too?

3 buckle boot- full tilt or dalbello might help
    soooo much easier to get into than 4 buckle boot
    skid luxury

Name:  salomon-sx-92-rear-entry-snow-ski-boot-equipe-hpc-355mm-boots-men-s-2ce631f1855d6643af56cade490c.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  26.1 KB
    Don't laugh too hard, you might be able to actually find a pair, although I'd test them with a hammer or something to make sure they're not going to explode on you.

I hate broken toes; I'm a clutz and have had too many broken 5th toes. My heart goes out to you.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    [I hate broken toes; I'm a clutz and have had too many broken 5th toes. My heart goes out to you.
    thanks. have you skied on a broken toe while it's mending? how was it? it still wakes me up if i move funny in bed (i'm not sleeping with a boot)

Pretty sure I ran on a broken toe for part of a track season in high school.

If you can find the right boot, it should be fine, IMHO. I'd think even if you have some slop, since it's the little one you won't be pressuring it so much as the big toes and outside of the foot/met heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    thanks. have you skied on a broken toe while it's mending? how was it? it still wakes me up if i move funny in bed (i'm not sleeping with a boot)
    I never had the courage to try and get a boot on, and definitely not tele. But if you can get a boot on the skiing part should be fine.

I've skied with a broken foot (unwittingly) with Maestrale RS's. Pretty easy to get on and off as ski boots go.

I would imagine 3 piece or rear entry would be best. When I used to tele I had a broken big toe and switched to alpine for a trip to Banff that was already planned. I made an effort to keep my weight between heel and ball of foot. I used a 4 buckle overlap which was trickier to get into and out of

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks ^^^

Yesterday, I tracked down some old equipe sx91's, rear entry boots. they are a bit narrow at ball of foot and squeeze that toe a bit. Hopefully, I didn't mess thing up carefully checking fit last night. I haven't messed with the footbed, liner, or shell to see if I can tweak the fit.

When and how do i resume normality? I've never broken a bone before and am starting to go stir crazy.

I'm at the 7 week mark from the injury. Xray below from the 4 week mark. I'm not too pleased with the (only) podiatrist in town. I saw him on day 3 and at week 4. I've been babying the toes all 7 weeks, living in a "cam-boot" mostly. I've been rocking rear entry boots and a borrowed pair of ripping piste skis (pictured) for a few weeks. I really hate the boots and want to start tele skiing on my own gear again.

Im starting to get fat (so is the dog). The doc's recommendations were (and still are) unclear. He was not able to clarify during my visit. He said something about 6 weeks, 8 weeks, and 10 weeks, but the sigificance of the milestones were never clear, except that everything should be great at week 10. I've been occasionally wearing a rigid soled "hiking" boot (old pair of crampon compatible boots), which he seemed to recommend, but I'm generally used to flat and minimalist shoes and those mtneering boots fit like shit. Today, walking around the house barefoot, it feels weird to flex my toes on that foot, but i think that's from not flexing any of the toes for weeks and not due to toe breaks.

My wife's thought, which seems to make sense, keep buddy taping for at least a week, wear normal footwear for a week and see how it goes (i.e. pain/soreness), but don't go running yet and wait use tele boots because of increased pressure on the flexed bad toe.

Thoughts? I don't want to undo the healing, butstrongly emotionally driven to resume my life.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-6018.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	226695
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-6068.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	226696

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app