Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    On.snow

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    On.snow
    Above snow? Thanks for the reviews. Looks like a cool boot.

I’d like to hear the feedback on that comparison

Have they fixed the problem with the boot squeezing the achilles of lots of people when standing up straight in walk mode?

I meant beyond just #s, I mean in regards to flex consistency, strides, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I meant beyond just #s, I mean in regards to flex consistency, strides, etc.
    fair enough.

Compare it to what boot? Pick one. Specify if you want the data

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    Have they fixed the problem with the boot squeezing the achilles of lots of people when standing up straight in walk mode?
    No issues there. In fact i can lean probably -10deg and no problem

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I’d like to hear the feedback on that comparison
    I have to rethink the flex ratings on the AT boots thread. The Lupo 130C is stiffer than the HawX, ZeroG which i previously thought of as the stiffest boots. That Lupo130C is actually so stiff I struggle with it inbounds meaning i have to charge everything to get feel out of the boots.

Just have 2 days on the Tecnica so very preliminary

^^i generally follow what you and the other testers have to say here and the flex compare thread has been a great resource and it seems all the boots I’ve had are pretty much where I think they should be aside from the actual flex category they’re in . I can’t gauge that. I can only go from my limited number of boots I’ve owned. I just happen to be switching between my lupo c ti and my Vulcan quite often atm and previously my lupo sp and c ti. Maybe the power wrap liner in the c ti effects my impression a touch but the Vulcan also has a pro tour liner(stiffer than Vulcan liner). Love them both and after I adjust to the Vulcan I can push them but then I get back in the lupo and it’s game on push at much more. I’d suspect you’d get used to that flex and dig it. The z g t pro sounds like it’d fit me and , at that weight, could take the place of my vulcans and tlt6’s both and no tongue swap. The lupo 130c vs tzgt pro vs Vulcan is what I’m curious about. Has to be fun trying all this cool shit I’d imagine. Thanks for the feedback. I’ve learned a lot

fair enough.

Compare it to what boot? Pick one. Specify if you want the data

No issues there. In fact i can lean probably -10deg and no problem

I have to rethink the flex ratings on the AT boots thread. The Lupo 130C is stiffer than the HawX, ZeroG which i previously thought of as the stiffest boots. That Lupo130C is actually so stiff I struggle with it inbounds meaning i have to charge everything to get feel out of the boots.

Just have 2 days on the Tecnica so very preliminary
    Ok, I’ll bite. I have some minty maestrale 2.0’s. Should I sell them and get these? I ride the hulk green lupo TI with stiff tongue inbounds. Previously I was on the 15/16 Cochise 130 (orange and blue) and loved the fit and performance of that boot. The maestrale has been a huge upgrade uphill without sacrificing much to the Cochise on the down. And despite the box warning not to use a ski fatter than 110mm with it, it drives a 116mm ski without issues. I love the tall lupo cuff. The maestrale cuff is kind of short, but that’s really my only complaint...

I tour 5-10 days per year, but hoping to increase that. I’d love to have a single BC boot for all missions: super long days (volcanoes) and short ones.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

^^i generally follow what you and the other testers have to say here and the flex compare thread has been a great resource and it seems all the boots I’ve had are pretty much where I think they should be aside from the actual flex category they’re in . I can’t gauge that. I can only go from my limited number of boots I’ve owned. I just happen to be switching between my lupo c ti and my Vulcan quite often atm and previously my lupo sp and c ti. Maybe the power wrap liner in the c ti effects my impression a touch but the Vulcan also has a pro tour liner(stiffer than Vulcan liner). Love them both and after I adjust to the Vulcan I can push them but then I get back in the lupo and it’s game on push at much more. I’d suspect you’d get used to that flex and dig it. The z g t pro sounds like it’d fit me and , at that weight, could take the place of my vulcans and tlt6’s both and no tongue swap. The lupo 130c vs tzgt pro vs Vulcan is what I’m curious about. Has to be fun trying all this cool shit I’d imagine. Thanks for the feedback. I’ve learned a lot
    My Vulcan is 250+ days no tongues/100+days ProTour liner and is pretty much done. After this season it will get buckles and hardware scavenged and become flower pots so I wouldn't doubt its like a 100 flex all said and done. The new-to-me ONE that'll be its replacement has no play and will get a new liner and feels about the same as my old Vulcan. It makes sense that an old boot that is clapped out isn't as stiff anymore.

I was thinking of getting the Atomic HawX in the right size (i tested a 27- should have been in a 26) as replacement but they're out of stock in 26 in Noram till next season. Meantime the Tecnica ZeroG TourPro is pretty amazeballs but with 1 day touring and 1 day inbounds its' too early to tell. Main thing is that both HawX and ZeroG in the 26s fit me really well

Yah its fun to gear-nerd this. I'd like to point out that the manufacturers who provide me with gear recognize that I'm biased and sometimes don't always like their stuff yet are still willing (dumb?) to send me things even if I do nitpick and criticize; its worthwhile pointing out that they're not totally venal. Especially Dynafit and Fritschi where i've nitpicked a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Ok, I’ll bite. I have some minty maestrale 2.0’s. Should I sell them and get these? I ride the hulk green lupo TI with stiff tongue inbounds. Previously I was on the 15/16 Cochise 130 (orange and blue) and loved the fit and performance of that boot. The maestrale has been a huge upgrade uphill without sacrificing much to the Cochise on the down. And despite the box warning not to use a ski fatter than 110mm with it, it drives a 116mm ski without issues. I love the tall lupo cuff. The maestrale cuff is kind of short, but that’s really my only complaint...

I tour 5-10 days per year, but hoping to increase that. I’d love to have a single BC boot for all missions: super long days (volcanoes) and short ones.
    Some random thoughts with the caveat of limited days

- Maestrale 2.0 has a big heel; Toebox was med/L and I don't recall instep. Tecnica ZeroG has small/med heel, narrower toebox and S/M instep (but doesn't crush achilles or instep - I let some people with higher insteps and high arches try them and they think it'll be ok with some liner work). So the fit is different

- Tecnica is quite a bit lighter. That;s good for the uphill. But in chopped up snow inbounds it's more effort and more concentration to ski. That's just the way it is

- I don't know how the Maestrale 2.0 tours as i just stuck my foot in it for carpet showroom walks. ZeroG tours way better than old Cochise. There is no comparison

-Haven't stuck the spoilers on the ZeroG but that would make it taller.

- ZeroG is a pretty upright boot - 12 - 13 degs. Don't recall how much forward lean the Maestrale had.
    Last edited by LeeLau; 10-07-2018 at 09:52 AM.

After this season it will get buckles and hardware scavenged and become flower pots so I wouldn't doubt its like a 100 flex all said and done. .
    NOOOOOOOO !

I got my youngest son into the zero G guide pros and my oldest son in the RS2 this last season

I just text them to try this/try that way easier than actualy being there !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sorry I'm mixing this in on this thread, but heard back from Intuition on the foam for the Tour Wraps:

"The Tour Wrap is made with HD (high density) foam. So, it's stiffer than our Pro Tour liner but a little softer than the other wraps because of the rear flex panel."

Might have to get these into my F1s

My Vulcans are toast also. Both cuffs are cracked a bit and the plastic to carbon rivets on the cuff were tearing out. I’ll be following this thread with high hopes for a good replacement! I’ll miss the one buckle transition a bit though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Lee - out of the hordes of boots you have, do you have MTN labs? If you put the liners you molded for the new Zero Gs in the MTN labs, how does the overall volume compare, and specifically in the heel and ankle areas? I'm curious about how the shell volumes compare, I don't use the stock liners in my MTN labs and won't use the stock liners in the Zero Gs if I get them (wrap liners just work much better for my feet). Thanks
    Last edited by wilcox510; 03-24-2018 at 05:27 PM.

The ankle of the MTN is giant, the heel is slightly less giant, and the ZeroG is not. Way more snug. Quick view into an MTN shell will indicate a Devine 55 style ankle pocket. Good luck finding another modern touring boot with that much ankle volume.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Lee - out of the hordes of boots you have, do you have MTN labs? If you put the liners you molded for the new Zero Gs in the MTN labs, how does the overall volume compare, and specifically in the heel and ankle areas? I'm curious about how the shell volumes compare, I don't use the stock liners in my MTN labs and won't use the stock liners in the Zero Gs if I get them (wrap liners just work much better for my feet). Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The ankle of the MTN is giant, the heel is slightly less giant, and the ZeroG is not. Way more snug. Quick view into an MTN shell will indicate a Devine 55 style ankle pocket. Good luck finding another modern touring boot with that much ankle volume.
    What Xavier said. The Mtn toebox is narrower too. The instep is a tad higher on the MTN

Went for a decent tour of approx 1700m on the ZeroG following a smallish 1200m tour. Also skied lots of cut up pow on it during last week.

The inbounds performance is pretty damn impressive. It's real sensitive to buckle tightness and the power strap so I cinched the buckles and straps tighter as the snow got more and more cutup throughout the day and the boot seemed liked it stiffened up noticeably as i did that. Side note that I feel like the liner packs up a bit as the day wears on. Like the HawX these overlap boots kill my Vulcans in terms of feel and quality of flex.

Touring performance is def superior to older ZeroG and Cochise. I undo the top buckles and flop the bottom open then hit that walk mode. Don't touch the power strap which is very nice. And then it goes from stiff to smooth walk mode with noticeable back of upright movement which i really appreciate on those long glaciers.

Oh and like i thought about the HawX it's so damn light. I can't get over how light a four buckle overlap boot can be
    Last edited by LeeLau; 03-25-2018 at 07:55 AM.

New Zero G sounding promising Lee. Dumb question time, for the Hawx/Zero G Tour Pro overlap 4-buckle boots, does having the power strap done up not restrict walk mode ROM? I find loosening the power strap on my Maestrale RS 1.0 kinda annoying every transition.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    New Zero G sounding promising Lee. Dumb question time, for the Hawx/Zero G Tour Pro overlap 4-buckle boots, does having the power strap done up not restrict walk mode ROM? I find loosening the power strap on my Maestrale RS 1.0 kinda annoying every transition.
    Nope - not dumb at all. Usually i have to loosen the power strap but not on the HawX or ZeroG. Reduces the farting around factor a lot

Thanks for the replies to my questions, one more (for now)... So it the shell fit/dimensions the same on next years Zero G as this years?

Well there just might be a little more hope for stretching/punching the new ZG than the previous two....

Looks like I'm going to have to wait to try on both the Hawx 130 and Tour Pro!

The Lupo 130C is a brick. I didn't realize how much heavier Lupo 130C vs the ZGTP is in same size - 400grams heavier with tongue out (~1350g vs. ~1800g). That is 30% heavier!
    Last edited by margotron; 04-08-2018 at 12:36 PM.

I've got the touring weight of my Lupo Carbon down to 1550g in size 25.5

That's with tongue and booster strap off, I also removed the bottom buckle because I didn't use it.

Sub 1300g for 25.5 on Zero G sounds great, but there's no way they'll ski like a Lupo Carbon. Not that they have too...

I think that could be a good 2 boot quiver. Replace TLT5P with these for light boot. I've decided I really just like nice downhill performance in my touring boots. I also got fitter, so stopped sweating the weight as much.

^^exactly. No way zgp or Xtd skis as good as the lupo(I haven’t skied zgp or xtd) . It does sound like a nice two boot quiver . I can’t part with my lupo c ti but the zgp could take the place of my vulcans and tlt6’s both

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post

That's with tongue and booster strap off, I also removed the bottom buckle because I didn't use it.

Sub 1300g for 25.5 on Zero G sounds great, but there's no way they'll ski like a Lupo Carbon. Not that they have too...

I think that could be a good 2 boot quiver. Replace TLT5P with these for light boot. I've decided I really just like nice downhill performance in my touring boots. I also got fitter, so stopped sweating the weight as much.
    1550 in 25.5 eh? not end of the world. My 130Cs arrive tomorrow (28.5). Fit right in shop but couldnt weigh them there obviously. Will do a fresh measure straight out the box. I'm a tinkerer by nature and am always tinkering with downhill performance even on my in bound boots.

^^exactly. No way zgp or Xtd skis as good as the lupo(I haven’t skied zgp or xtd) . It does sound like a nice two boot quiver . I can’t part with my lupo c ti but the zgp could take the place of my vulcans and tlt6’s both
    The XTD felt so soft in the shop, almost couldn't imagine it on hill. But I am coming from a career in alpine boots.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    1550 in 25.5 eh? not end of the world. My 130Cs arrive tomorrow (28.5). Fit right in shop but couldnt weigh them there obviously. Will do a fresh measure straight out the box. I'm a tinkerer by nature and am always tinkering with downhill performance even on my in bound boots..
    With the stock intuition liners: 260g, and custom insoles (milled foam): 20g. To geek. I'll post more in Lupo thread and get this back on course.

Any performance update on Zero G?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Thanks for the replies to my questions, one more (for now)... So it the shell fit/dimensions the same on next years Zero G as this years?
    Forgot to answer this. If this years was the same as last years then maybe the slightest bit narrower at forefoot from this years then last years.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post

Broken record - all touring boots are about compromises. You're both correct. No way a 1300g boot will outperform the 1800+g touring boot (Lupo) downhill. Mass matters.

No updates since I last skied it. Impressions are still the same if even more reinforced ie that the Lupo is too stiff for me at my weight. Either the ZeroG/HawX will replace my Vulcans.
    Last edited by LeeLau; 04-10-2018 at 11:33 PM.