Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-6...SABEgLr1_D_BwE

200 grams ^^

I took the straps off my Vulcans cuz they fell off on day 2 so I never bothered putting them back, its just something to get in the way besides I don't miss them on a touring boot that is already really stiff

i do have boosters on my alpine boots
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-05-2020 at 03:01 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-6...SABEgLr1_D_BwE

200 grams ^^

I took the straps off my Vulcans cuz they fell off on day 2 so I never bothered putting them back, its just something to get in the way besides I don't miss them on a touring boot that is already really stiff

i do have boosters on my alpine boots
    Weighed my expert boosters at 75g each. I recon about 50 of that is the steel buckle. Doesn’t look easy to switch out.

what crampons are folks using with these? my old green CAMP aluminum ones don't really fit great, kinda between notches on the adjustment bar and even with the heel thing adjusted to max tightness, not inspiring confidence... 26.5 boots fwiw. I really despise the hiking shoe type of crampon attachment... would prefer the metal toe bar / heel clip thing (clueless on terminology), and would like steel in the forefoot at least for walking on rocks. I can deal w/the weight of full steel but don't need anything designed for leading on ice.

Petzl Irvis Hybrid

Them is the tits on any sort of crampon use that doesn't involve sustained technical ice. Hell I've even climbed AI2 in them with trail runners on with the full straps. But for my ski boot needs they are awesome in the full auto configuration.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Petzl Irvis Hybrid

Them is the tits on any sort of crampon use that doesn't involve sustained technical ice. Hell I've even climbed AI2 in them with trail runners on with the full straps. But for my ski boot needs they are awesome in the full auto configuration.
    yeah... how do the dyneema straps hold up? I am a clumsy mfer and walk on a lot of rocks...

camp xlc 390 automatics work great for me.
    wouldn't recommend any aluminum crampon for walking on rocks

Anyone have experience with the Grivel Haute Routes? I've been eyeballing them the past couple of weeks.

https://skimo.co/grivel-haute-route-crampons

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Grivel Haute Routes? I've been eyeballing them the past couple of weeks.
    I have them and like them; steel front/aluminum rear makes a lot of sense for skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I have them and like them; steel front/aluminum rear makes a lot of sense for skiers.
    you using them with the ZGTP? what size boot you in?

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    yeah... how do the dyneema straps hold up? I am a clumsy mfer and walk on a lot of rocks...
    Had no problem with them. Shit is really strong, and if you're in a bind you can always get braided dyneema from a boat store since it's used for rigging.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Petzl Irvis Hybrid

+1 Irvis Hybrid.

So, one guy reviewing them (Irvis Hybrid) on skimo quickly wore out the Dyneema cord. One review is just that.

I suppose it can be viewed as a maintenance item if it checks all the other boxes. I'm not sure that describes me.

OTOH, a connecting bar can fail and there's no field fix for that.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

OTOH, a connecting bar can fail and there's no field fix for that.

... Thom
    This right here. Even if you were in a REAL pinch you could use nylon webbing to keep them together.

hmm. I'm just skeptical of the cord... I've seen some Alien RS cords break in the field (not the same thing I realize) and fiddling with that seems sucky. The connecting bar on my green CAMP alu pons is pretty bomber... but, I will probably give the Irvis a try anyway because I do want that steel front section. I used my green CAMPs this morning and they were ok though... without being mega fuckin tight they would come off my Fischer Carbon Travers, and they aren't mega tight on the ZGTP but were fine, maybe cuz the toe welt on the Fischers was shorter...? or maybe I just got lucky. either way, "using crampons" for me invariably means that I will accidentally step on a lot of rocks.

hmm. I'm just skeptical of the cord... I've seen some Alien RS cords break in the field (not the same thing I realize) and fiddling with that seems sucky. The connecting bar on my green CAMP alu pons is pretty bomber... but, I will probably give the Irvis a try anyway because I do want that steel front section. I used my green CAMPs this morning and they were ok though... without being mega fuckin tight they would come off my Fischer Carbon Travers, and they aren't mega tight on the ZGTP but were fine, maybe cuz the toe welt on the Fischers was shorter...? or maybe I just got lucky. either way, "using crampons" for me invariably means that I will accidentally step on a lot of rocks.
    I'm kind of on the fence, and was also considering the Grivel Skimatic, with the front-fixation - no interference with the walk mode lever, although I can't visualize having the lever in ski mode when using 'pons.

3 really good choices, including the Petzels.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I have and dig haute routes; i use em on tlt6’s though, so not able to comment on zgtp.
    Otherwise totally satisfied although I do occasionally wish I’d gone for the skimatics though, can’t help being curious.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Hey Greg!

Studying the Haute Routes, it appears as if the rear lever has a chance of clearing the tour lock on ZGTPs when in ski mode.

Not a big deal if it doesn't, but I'm still curious. I think you're in 26.5s?

I'm waffling. The packability of the Irvis is indeed tempting. BTW, a buddy who owns the Irvis told me that there's no interference with his F1 walk mode latch. Probably OK with ZGTPs.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-11-2020 at 01:52 AM.
    Galibier Design

They don't interfere.

Irvis on my 27.5's
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5595.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	839.5 KB 
ID:	324903

you using them with the ZGTP? what size boot you in?
    I was using them with the old Zero G Guide Pro and Backland Carbons, due to blown out ACL last spring I haven't used them with the new ZG Tour Pro. 26.5 in all boots.

Reports on the net of the dyneema stretching and having to be readjusted after first few uses? I didn't think that dyneema stretched but maybe everything has to work in. Any real world experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Reports on the net of the dyneema stretching and having to be readjusted after first few uses? I didn't think that dyneema stretched but maybe everything has to work in. Any real world experiences?
    I'll bet it's the knot settling in.

Spectra and Dyneema slip quite a bit, and in the climbing world, a triple fisherman's (as opposed to double fisherman's) is recommended.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I didn't need to do any adjusting since they come stock sewn.

I also use the Irvis hybrid and love them. What I was told to do that works quite well is to fit them to the boot and leave them overnight to allow for any stretch. Then check fit again and tighten if necessary. After that, just leave where it is - I’ve never had any problem with them coming remotely close to popping off.

Hey Greg!

Studying the Haute Routes, it appears as if the rear lever has a chance of clearing the tour lock on ZGTPs when in ski mode.

Not a big deal if it doesn't, but I'm still curious. I think you're in 26.5s?

I'm waffling. The packability of the Irvis is indeed tempting. BTW, a buddy who owns the Irvis told me that there's no interference with his F1 walk mode latch. Probably OK with ZGTPs.

... Thom
    Thom, just checked and the Haute Route lever is fine with my 26.5 Zero G Tour Pros, clearance is about 8mm at least.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Thom, just checked and the Haute Route lever is fine with my 26.5 Zero G Tour Pros, clearance is about 8mm at least.
    Thanks, Greg!
    Galibier Design