Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Anyone here have issues with the screws in the walk mode falling out? I had two people walk into my shop, back to back, with a screw missing in the walk mode.
    Yup the first years boots didn't have locktite on them, I had some fall out (heard some pros did as well). This seasons boots got sent out with locktite + a bunch of extra screws with locktite predone on them. It's good locktite, I went to change the angle of them to the 13 and really had to be careful not to strip the screw head.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    You can probably only grind the boot board 2mm . . .
    The bootboard itself is only about 4mm thick under the center of the arch, but there's no rule saying it has to remain in 1 piece. You can cut 3 inches out between the heel and forefoot, taper the forefoot part so it transitions smoothly, and hot glue the two pieces back in. That will get you 4mm, which is a ton of extra volume.

Even grinding the boot board 2mm is a pretty large change in volume since you're effectively changing the radius of the deformed cylinder, since the radius is squared in relation to that volume.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Yup the first years boots didn't have locktite on them, I had some fall out (heard some pros did as well). This seasons boots got sent out with locktite + a bunch of extra screws with locktite predone on them. It's good locktite, I went to change the angle of them to the 13 and really had to be careful not to strip the screw head.
    Any thoughts after changing the forward lean? Did it make much of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I've actually had a couple gripes re: the hardware in this boot. I've had buckles shear straight through the metal, toe fittings go out of spec to the point of auto-releasing, etc. I don't know if it's just growing pains with a newish boot or if they traded durability for weight savings by going with a mushy alloy, but I'm not super pleased.
    The cuff rivets on my boots have a fair bit of slop in them now after about a months use (look like they are about to snap). Would be so much better if they used screwed fittings, going to have to make my own cuff pivots now (lucky I have a lathe..)

Screws in the walk mode have also come loose but picked that up before they fell out...

Quote Originally Posted by hcrossing View Post
    The cuff rivets on my boots have a fair bit of slop in them now after about a months use (look like they are about to snap). Would be so much better if they used screwed fittings, going to have to make my own cuff pivots now (lucky I have a lathe..)

Screws in the walk mode have also come loose but picked that up before they fell out...
    Any way you can post a video of this? The way these boots are designed it's actually really hard for the cuff pivots to develop slop. Traditionally with most boots the rivet is what holds the cuff and lower together but also is what the cuff pivots around when in walk mode. This is why a lot of walk mode boots develop play over time is the softer plastic is rotating around a metal rivet which tends to ovalize the plastic and you get slop. The last two generations of ZeroG as well as the present generation of Cochise have a slightly different design to try to eliminate this. In the mold the lower has a bit of a bushing on it so that the cuff rotates around the bushing (that's plastic) instead of rotating around the rivet. The rivet holds the cuff and the lower together but the cuff doesn't rotate around the metal rivet and you don't get ovalizing and then play.

I'm wondering if your cuff rivets just weren't pressed quite hard enough in production or something. Honestly I've never seen this happen and know quite a few people that ski these boots every day of the season and have for close to 2 years now.

Everyone wants adjustability but then complains when screws loosen... If you unscrew the walk mode screws to flip the female piece and add that 1* more forward lean you need to make sure you add more loctite to the screws or they will for sure slowly unscrew themselves. That's why this year in the box there are extra sets of screws that already have loctite on them. It's some pretty bomber loctite as well. I would strongly suggest not using a drill to try to unscrew the screws, you're almost guaranteed to strip them. I speak from experience.

Anyone tried the tour wrap style liner from the green Lupo TI?

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Any thoughts after changing the forward lean? Did it make much of a difference?
    Made almost no difference on mine. Shame as I’d like a tiny bit more forward lean. Put in a spoiler taped in place on the liner.

I have a pair of Intuition Pro Tours in my Cochise boots and pondering using the same liner/footbed from those for my Guide Pros as well. The thought being I already have to swap the footbed between the boots, the Intuitions are better than the stock liner and the shell is very similar (as far as I can tell). Any negative to doing this (besides that fact that I WILL DIE) or should I use the stock liners or pony up for a second pair of Intuitions?

Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro - 2018- 9 boot

Probably depends on how similar the shells are in terms of shape, size, volume, etc. Not ideal, but if they’re very similar then they might not be terrible. I’d personally get another pair of intuitions and just swap out the footbeds.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    I have a pair of Intuition Pro Tours in my Cochise boots and pondering using the same liner/footbed from those for my Guide Pros as well. The thought being I already have to swap the footbed between the boots, the Intuitions are better than the stock liner and the shell is very similar (as far as I can tell). Any negative to doing this (besides that fact that I WILL DIE) or should I use the stock liners or pony up for a second pair of Intuitions?

I tried throwing a pair of Pro Tours I had molded to a pair of cochise in my ZG's. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't good and for me would have needed a rebake. I ended up with with tour wraps in them.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Two pairs of this year's Zero G had the walk mode fall off. They had not been adjusted beforehand.

I also have a friend that weighs 130lbs and her ankle rivet has a large amount of slop now.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Two pairs of this year's Zero G had the walk mode fall off. They had not been adjusted beforehand.

I also have a friend that weighs 130lbs and her ankle rivet has a large amount of slop now.
    now were these people who use the 0Gs at the resort? or just touring?
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I've been contemplating getting a pair of these magic slippers after reading all the hype, but they are hard to find. I read somewhere in this string that people who had the green TLT6 (my current boot) went a full size down in the ZGTP, I'm a 28.5 in the green TLT6 and I can try on a 27.5 and 28.5 Tour Scout locally, but I'll have to order the ZGTP online. I'm wondering what to do if it turns out I am a 28 in the ZGTP. Technical lists whole sizes for the ZGTP and I found one pair of 28s online, but everywhere else I've found them, they're only offered in half sizes. Anybody know the scoop on ZGTP whole sizes? Are they just slightly larger or smaller sizes liners in a half sized shell?

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I've been contemplating getting a pair of these magic slippers after reading all the hype, but they are hard to find. I read somewhere in this string that people who had the green TLT6 (my current boot) went a full size down in the ZGTP, I'm a 28.5 in the green TLT6 and I can try on a 27.5 and 28.5 Tour Scout locally, but I'll have to order the ZGTP online. I'm wondering what to do if it turns out I am a 28 in the ZGTP. Technical lists whole sizes for the ZGTP and I found one pair of 28s online, but everywhere else I've found them, they're only offered in half sizes. Anybody know the scoop on ZGTP whole sizes? Are they just slightly larger or smaller sizes liners in a half sized shell?
    Shell size breaks on the whole number. 28.0 & 28.5 are the same shell size.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Same liner too....

There are exactly zero ski boots offered in half size breakdowns. All 27.0 and 27.5s are the same boot (minus scarpa). Scarpa a 27.5 and a 28.0 are the same boot.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    I checked mine today. Not tight, but not about to fall out. Tightened things down.

Locktite is my next move for the tour mechanism screws? Will vibratite work?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Same liner too....

There are exactly zero ski boots offered in half size breakdowns. All 27.0 and 27.5s are the same boot (minus scarpa). Scarpa a 27.5 and a 28.0 are the same boot.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I can at least lock down sizing now.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I checked mine today. Not tight, but not about to fall out. Tightened things down.

Locktite is my next move for the tour mechanism screws? Will vibratite work?
    Yes, vibrat is better. They probably come with this on

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Sorry if this has been asked, but if I can ski a Cochise with a good fit without modifications, is it possible to expect the same from the zero g?

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked, but if I can ski a Cochise with a good fit without modifications, is it possible to expect the same from the zero g?
    No guarantee, but that was my experience.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Medial malleolous (inside ankle prominence) pain both sides, basically bone bruises from pushing on shell at the pivot. Ideas to fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by couchsending View Post
    Any way you can post a video of this? The way these boots are designed it's actually really hard for the cuff pivots to develop slop. Traditionally with most boots the rivet is what holds the cuff and lower together but also is what the cuff pivots around when in walk mode. This is why a lot of walk mode boots develop play over time is the softer plastic is rotating around a metal rivet which tends to ovalize the plastic and you get slop.
    See onedrive links below:
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArPZh24xdyYpgol_eqeQyNMhiU5tZg
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArPZh24xdyYpgooAiaiZo-ApqN7lGg

As you can see fair bit of slop in them - I think it is more the rivets loosening that the plastic wearing away (still need to take apart and have a look)

The boot actually has a pretty poor design for the position of the cuff rotation axis. The two cuff pivots are not parallel in their rotation (especially the inside one) and don't align with the flexing motion/direction of the boot. This induces axial forces in the rivets (if they were parallel it would have shear force only) which loosens the rivet. I imagine they have them where they are for a reason (more natural motion or something) but not the best for durability. Frustrating when you spend nearly $1k on boots and they don't last and no real option to fix them easily (why not face fastener style rivets like Scarpa??)

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    now were these people who use the 0Gs at the resort? or just touring?
    One did one lap inbounds with brand new boots. Didn't adjust the forward lean or anything.
    The other, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    No. By good fit, I assume you mean the Cochise is not too large. The ZeroG is considerably tighter than the Cochise in every way.