Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Wondering if anyone is having an issue similar to mine in the the rivet / interface between the cuff and shell is rounding out and developing play? I have roughly 20 days on ZG Tour Scouts this year and the plastic around the shell has worn down which has caused there to be some "slop" in the flex of the boot (can see a gap in this rivet now). Is this a common problem? Happening on both the left and the right boot. Disappointed given otherwise love them.

I didn't have this problem on my scouts with about 40 days of 1/2 inbounds 1/2 bc. Nothing yet on my Pro's with a little less than 20 days.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by jwe View Post
    Wondering if anyone is having an issue similar to mine in the the rivet / interface between the cuff and shell is rounding out and developing play? I have roughly 20 days on ZG Tour Scouts this year and the plastic around the shell has worn down which has caused there to be some "slop" in the flex of the boot (can see a gap in this rivet now). Is this a common problem? Happening on both the left and the right boot. Disappointed given otherwise love them.
    I thought someone mentioned that issue emerging earlier in the year somewhere in this thread?
    Master of mediocrity.

bump for jwe

Quote Originally Posted by hcrossing View Post
    See onedrive links below:
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArPZh24xdyYpgol_eqeQyNMhiU5tZg
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArPZh24xdyYpgooAiaiZo-ApqN7lGg

As you can see fair bit of slop in them - I think it is more the rivets loosening that the plastic wearing away (still need to take apart and have a look)

The boot actually has a pretty poor design for the position of the cuff rotation axis. The two cuff pivots are not parallel in their rotation (especially the inside one) and don't align with the flexing motion/direction of the boot. This induces axial forces in the rivets (if they were parallel it would have shear force only) which loosens the rivet. I imagine they have them where they are for a reason (more natural motion or something) but not the best for durability. Frustrating when you spend nearly $1k on boots and they don't last and no real option to fix them easily (why not face fastener style rivets like Scarpa??)
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    bumping for jwe
    exact same issue - thanks for reposting and apologies for missing that earlier in the thread

anyone have any idea if this should be covered under a warranty or is considered normal wear and tear?

Quote Originally Posted by jwe View Post
    Post #s 680 and 681 from this thread follow. I'm not sure if this describes your situation, as you're reporting a visual gap.

Quote Originally Posted by hcrossing View Post
    The cuff rivets on my boots have a fair bit of slop in them now after about a months use (look like they are about to snap). Would be so much better if they used screwed fittings, going to have to make my own cuff pivots now (lucky I have a lathe..)

Screws in the walk mode have also come loose but picked that up before they fell out...
    Quote Originally Posted by couchsending View Post
    Any way you can post a video of this? The way these boots are designed it's actually really hard for the cuff pivots to develop slop. Traditionally with most boots the rivet is what holds the cuff and lower together but also is what the cuff pivots around when in walk mode. This is why a lot of walk mode boots develop play over time is the softer plastic is rotating around a metal rivet which tends to ovalize the plastic and you get slop. The last two generations of ZeroG as well as the present generation of Cochise have a slightly different design to try to eliminate this. In the mold the lower has a bit of a bushing on it so that the cuff rotates around the bushing (that's plastic) instead of rotating around the rivet. The rivet holds the cuff and the lower together but the cuff doesn't rotate around the metal rivet and you don't get ovalizing and then play.

I'm wondering if your cuff rivets just weren't pressed quite hard enough in production or something. Honestly I've never seen this happen and know quite a few people that ski these boots every day of the season and have for close to 2 years now.

Everyone wants adjustability but then complains when screws loosen... If you unscrew the walk mode screws to flip the female piece and add that 1* more forward lean you need to make sure you add more loctite to the screws or they will for sure slowly unscrew themselves. That's why this year in the box there are extra sets of screws that already have loctite on them. It's some pretty bomber loctite as well. I would strongly suggest not using a drill to try to unscrew the screws, you're almost guaranteed to strip them. I speak from experience.
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-14-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Any word on any changes planned for the zgtp for next season?

Wanna buy a pair; wundrin' if it's worth waiting for anything newer, shinier and/or fancier.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Any word on any changes planned for the zgtp for next season?

Wanna buy a pair; wundrin' if it's worth waiting for anything newer, shinier and/or fancier.
    new color (orange/black) as I recall, so 'shinier' is in play.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    new color (orange/black) as I recall, so 'shinier' is in play.
    Yup, also asked some Tecnica athletes and they confirmed. But if you're looking for something in the 1kg boot range you might want to wait
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

No substantial changes swiss

fwiw I went with the Petzl Irvis (not the hybrid, the full steel pons) which fit perfectly with the fully automatic system (my ZGTPs are 26.5/303mm). they're nice and sharp and hopefully will hold up to my dumbass abuse. we'll see tomorrow.

e: they work like a charm.
    Last edited by mall walker; 04-30-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Your comments got me nerding out, and I came across this interesting post on metals from Dane (Cold Thistle):
    http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2011...ss-or.html?m=1

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Liners: stock ones are good everywhere but pinky toe/6th toe where I need a serious stretch. But, these fuckers are lasted. Any method tips for really stretching that area? Already cooked them with toe caps. Need to bring in the big guns. No, I'm not looking for alt liner suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Liners: stock ones are good everywhere but pinky toe/6th toe where I need a serious stretch. But, these fuckers are lasted. Any method tips for really stretching that area? Already cooked them with toe caps. Need to bring in the big guns. No, I'm not looking for alt liner suggestions.
    Have you punched the shell in the problem areas? There's not much point in stretching the liner if there's nowhere for it to go once you put it back in the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Have you punched the shell in the problem areas? There's not much point in stretching the liner if there's nowhere for it to go once you put it back in the shell.
    Yes indeed - this is solving for post-punch. It's definitely the liner that's the issue.

Take the liners out of the shells and put them on with thin socks. Use a silver Sharpie to mark the points that are pressuring your foot. Use a broom handle or something about the same diameter as a stretching tool; it helps to stabilize it in a vise. Heat the area(s) you want to stretch with a heat gun but be careful not to melt the tricot/vinyl top layer, then stretch away. Your bootfitter should probably have done this as a matter of course when doing the punches.

Take the liners out of the shells and put them on with thin socks. Use a silver Sharpie to mark the points that are pressuring your foot. Use a broom handle or something about the same diameter as a stretching tool; it helps to stabilize it in a vise. Heat the area(s) you want to stretch with a heat gun but be careful not to melt the tricot/vinyl top layer, then stretch away. Your bootfitter should probably have done this as a matter of course when doing the punches.
    Perfect. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Perfect. Thank you.
    On an alpine liner there is normally a thin vinyl protective layer covering the bottom - heat this at the edge until the glue becomes soft enough to peel the vinyl back, stretch the side of the liner, and put the vinyl back down before it cools completely. You can usually gain another 1/4 inch of room that way. (In an extreme case you can cut the stitching as well)

Note: ZGTP liners don't have this layer, as it adds weight.

On an alpine liner there is normally a thin vinyl protective layer covering the bottom - heat this at the edge until the glue becomes soft enough to peel the vinyl back, stretch the side of the liner, and put the vinyl back down before it cools completely. You can usually gain another 1/4 inch of room that way. (In an extreme case you can cut the stitching as well)

Note: ZGTP liners don't have this layer, as it adds weight.
    Went at it with the heat gun and screwdriver handle (broom stick ain't getting into the toes of these 24.5 slippers) last night and it worked pretty damned well. Required more heat and more force than I expected, but once I figured it out it was quite easy. Thanks again. Hope to finally get them out of the garage this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Yes. 13 across the board on almost all shoes. Every now and again a 12.5. I can wear a 12.5 Hoka but 13 is the right size. And yes a
    28.5 with a heat molded stock liner and a heel width grind. They’re tight but that’s just how I like my boots to fit. My toes go numb at 40* regardless of the fit. I’d rather they be tight and ski better than have wiggle room and not feel like I had precise control of my skis.

They’re too small for long days but there aren’t many of those in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Just confirming this: you're a size 13 US men's in a 28.5 shell? Stock liner?
    Read almost all 35 pages of this post to see if anyone talked about sizing. I wear a 13 in Altra shoes and a 29.5 OG Maestrale RS (30.0 shell size). The 30.5's ZGTP are hard to find. With wasatchback's post, I am rethinking if a 29.5 will work. Is the ZGTP shell a 30 with 29.5 liner or a 29 with a 29.5 liner? Anyone coming from the OG Maestrale RS into this boot can share any sizing feedback? My local shop cannot get the boot...
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro - 2018- 9 boot

Random data point. I’m 11 US in my right and 10.5 left and have 27.5. The left fit is perfect, the right is tight but ok.
    Last edited by xyz; 10-15-2020 at 11:40 PM. Reason: More detail

What's the consensus on the liner of this boot, are most peeps keeping or switching out? It will be a dedicated tourer, no resort.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    What's the consensus on the liner of this boot, are most peeps keeping or switching out? It will be a dedicated tourer, no resort.
    I’m using the stock liner, but it isn’t anything to write home about. I think Boissal already wore his out. It tours fine though.

Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro - 2018- 9 boot

Stock liner Tours great, skis ok. A tour wrap would be $$$, but I’ll probably wait til I wear the stock liner out. Hopefully by then there’s an 800 gram 150 flex touring boot that all of TGR love, and I’ll just buy those and skip the liner upgrade.

On the plus side, I didn’t have to mold it.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Stock liner was first stock liner I’ve didn’t hate. They weren’t very warm though. I have some intuitions now. Can’t beat those.