Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro - 2018- 9 boot

I wish Greg was here to work on my boots! Powderhound has been good in the past though. Just worried that they’ll be cranky I didn’t buy from them for $400 more.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Keep an eye on your toe inserts as well??? https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...w-F**cked-am-I
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

SIAP - Can anybody compare the new Tour Scout to the old ZeroG Guide Pro in terms of flex (stiffness)? I've skied the old Guide Pro for 3 seasons, and have never needed any added stiffness outside of the resort. Saving the $100 is probably worth it to me if the Tour Scout flexes similarly to my old Guide Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    A properly crafted footbed shouldn't change your interior ramp angle - just distribute pressure more evenly over the plantar surface of the foot. Even if heavily posted, the heel should be ground until the base of the footbed is showing (depth is usually only 2.5 to 3mm thick at this point).
    Point taken. I was too brief (thinking I was clear enough) and implied that a bit of intended heel lift would change the ramp angle, assuming of course that there's room in the boot and your ankle is still positioned correctly.

A few assumptions ;-)

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Anyone tried cooking/molding Zero G shells in a Salomon custom shell type oven? I've had luck getting some extra room with similar thin grilamid boots. Any legit reason not to do this?

Mine seem to have taken the punches really well. They ski way better than Vulcans.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Since I had to get the ZeroG Scouts and there are times I wish I had just a touch more stiffness I decided to try out the Pulse Labs Proflex ($75USD shipped since the CAD is poop right now). Now I just need to track down some t-nut hardware for the instep ladder. Anyone have a good source?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Since I had to get the ZeroG Scouts and there are times I wish I had just a touch more stiffness I decided to try out the Pulse Labs Proflex ($75USD shipped since the CAD is poop right now). Now I just need to track down some t-nut hardware for the instep ladder. Anyone have a good source?
    Have no experience with t-nuts from McMaster but can vouch for their stuff generally.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/tee-nuts

Yeah that was a backup, but I'd like not to have to buy a box of nuts from MMC

I do wonder what grade of SS "regular" ie manufactured supplied t-nuts are. I'm use to hardware store "SS" to be shit and only passable as SS inside a house. And I know first hand 18-8 (304) does not to stand up to marine use.

As mentioned before, be sure to loctite the walk mode hardware screws. I almost lost the whole lever assembly the other day after a screw backed out.

Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro - 2018- 9 boot

Switched the forward lean on mine today to the supposedly increased 13 vs 12. My inserts had no arrows on them although the female threads in them are a little offset. In real world either way round is pretty much the same. I’m going to say the forwards lean is really not adjustable. Stuck the included spoiler for the tongue onto the back of my intuition liner. We’ll see how that does.
    Last edited by CaliBrit; 04-05-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Would be nice if Tecnica made another chip that's 11/14 degree, they can't cost much.

First day on a pair today. The stance with stock chip position feels very close to that of my first year Lange XT 130 Freetours.

I didn't use the spoiler between the liner and shell.

I wouldn't change a thing, but obviously, YMMV.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Would be nice if Tecnica made another chip that's 11/14 degree, they can't cost much.
    Well you couldn’t do it with just a different chip. You’d have to have the holes in the lower be elongated rather than round to get the range. Seems to me this adjustment was an afterthought rather than a designed in feature.

I think I remember other people further upthread mentioning pressure points on the tops of their feet (top of instep, under the second buckle). As far as I can tell, it seems like this is because the edge of the liner's tongue overlaps quite a bit with the body of the liner, and neither has a particularly tapered edge. Comparing to an Intuition pro tour, for instance, the tapers on the edge of the tongue and main body overlap/interleave much better, thus making for a more consistent overall thickness.

Has anyone played around with fixing this, maybe by cutting a chunk out of the tongue, or removing the thick, outer, leathery layer?

Quote Originally Posted by psathyrella View Post
    I think I remember other people further upthread mentioning pressure points on the tops of their feet (top of instep, under the second buckle). As far as I can tell, it seems like this is because the edge of the liner's tongue overlaps quite a bit with the body of the liner, and neither has a particularly tapered edge. Comparing to an Intuition pro tour, for instance, the tapers on the edge of the tongue and main body overlap/interleave much better, thus making for a more consistent overall thickness.

Has anyone played around with fixing this, maybe by cutting a chunk out of the tongue, or removing the thick, outer, leathery layer?
    No, but interested. Was really bad to start. Getting better with no mods.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have a high instep and it the liners packed out there (in a good way) after about 10-15 days. Just got Pro Tours thrown in and molded, no problem.

So at least for me, cutting out the little elastic strap mostly fixes the issue. I think this is partly because this allows the sides to spread out a bit more, so they overlap less; and partly because where they sewed the strap to the liner they left a substantial tail of strap material. This tail I think can bunch up, and even if not bunched is directly under the second buckle.

edit: change completely fixes --> mostly fixes. The edges still overlap to create a thick point under the buckle, so it's not perfect, but it doesn't actually hurt any more, which is a big improvement. It's a pity, since everything else about the boots is rainbows and freaking unicorns. Maybe it's a Robert Johnson type deal, and all the good is balanced by a tax of pain.
    Last edited by psathyrella; 04-15-2019 at 08:51 AM.

For me it's been a big problem and I'm haven't managed to get it fixed completly. We've cut away the elastic and tried to heat up the tongue only with a heat gun and buckled the boots hard afterwards. It helped some but not completely =(
    Ski them with a wrap liner which tours like shit so I really need to fix this or get another liner to tour in.

Anyone using the 110 flex version with any input?

I don't love that it's 1500g but I like the price.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by LawndartGustav View Post
    For me it's been a big problem and I'm haven't managed to get it fixed completly. We've cut away the elastic and tried to heat up the tongue only with a heat gun and buckled the boots hard afterwards. It helped some but not completely =(
    Ski them with a wrap liner which tours like shit so I really need to fix this or get another liner to tour in.
    Intuition makes a tour wrap. It is much thinner than a pro wrap and also significantly softer. Great to tour in. It comes with a quick lace system, liner on first then shell. If you have a tight shell fit they work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played around with a mod that MIGHT help with this issue? Have yet to ski test it so can't provide a report, just a hypothesis at this point till the snow flies. Basement testing points to positivity but add skiing forces and it might prove to be uesless.

Name:  P1110650.JPG
Views: 762
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  P1110649.JPG
Views: 762
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  P1110653.JPG
Views: 757
Size:  189.0 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Anyone using the 110 flex version with any input?

I don't love that it's 1500g but I like the price.

Haven't been on the Tour G (the 110 flex) but have put a season on the Tour Scout(120). For out of bounds snow it's good enough. But going inbounds with it on heavier skis and less than virgin snow and it's not quite as stiff as I'd like (and I'm only 160ish skiing 175-180 skis). I got some of the Pulse Pro Flex "tongues" and added them to the boot and it's definitely skiing better. Doesn't feel any less easy to tour in either.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Haven't been on the Tour G (the 110 flex) but have put a season on the Tour Scout(120). For out of bounds snow it's good enough. But going inbounds with it on heavier skis and less than virgin snow and it's not quite as stiff as I'd like (and I'm only 160ish skiing 175-180 skis). I got some of the Pulse Pro Flex "tongues" and added them to the boot and it's definitely skiing better. Doesn't feel any less easy to tour in either.
    Good info... thanks.

I'm kind of debating whether to get the 130 flex of the older iteration of this boot at the same price. I know there are improvements to the new model.

I ski the 120 flex cochise and could probably be ok in the 110 flex cochise based in how I ski now so I worry the 130 in the zero g might be too much.

I wouldn't ski them inbounds at all... 100% touring.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I'm kind of debating whether to get the 130 flex of the older iteration of this boot at the same price. I know there are improvements to the new model.

I ski the 120 flex cochise and could probably be ok in the 110 flex cochise based in how I ski now so I worry the 130 in the zero g might be too much.

I wouldn't ski them inbounds at all... 100% touring.
    You can remove or just not use the power straps. That softens them up quite a bit.