Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    But what about the ultra light dalby

10 days or so on mine so far, and I echo much of what has already been said. Articulation is significantly better than my Mtn labs or Maestrales, and you can rip everything, including inbounds shitfuck, without having to be totally on it all the time. My 26.5 Mtn labs with a booster strap came in at 1620g, my zero gs come in at 1327.

Out of the box, I skied them with my usual insoles at the resort and experienced pretty bad instep pain, which led me to panic that I’d made a bad decision. Cooked the liners with a fatter insole and foam shims on my surfers knots, day 2 my instep pain was bearable, now on day 10 they fit perfectly, with no pain after long days inbounds and touring. After going through a similar process last year with the alien rs, I’ve come to trust that even a very thin liner will pack out accommodate my pretty average feet after a bit of mileage.

Added laces and spoiler, both of which further improved things. I’ve developed a routine with transitions that has reduced the fiddle factor of those wire buckles.

Carbon plastic is magic and should be worshipped.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I got my wife some Atomic HawX 130XTD in the 26.5 size so had a chance to ski my ZeroGs back to back with my old Vulcans and the 130XTD.

The Atomics are stiffer than the ZeroGs. I buckle them lightly; Shar barely buckles them. Both the HawX and the ZeroG feel way more progressive and more alpine-like than my old Vulcans. In fact its only when you're on a decent flexing boot like rhe HawX or ZeroG that you realize how on - off the Vulcan is.

I still find that I have to fart around with the HawX more for touring. All the buckles and the powerstrap has to be undone for its good ROM. Not so with the ZeroG where I throw open the 2nd and 3rd buckles but otherwise leave other buckles done up.

After some 50days on the ZeroG the stock liner still feels fine. There's no appreciable wear or slop. All looks good

The deals on these things are so good right now - even down to $399 - which doesn't seem to be the case for any other of the top line touring boots ($650+ at a minimum). It almost seems strange given how much people seem to like these things...

I've read the full thread and it seems like these are actually fairly comparable to the krypton/il moro in terms of fit? I've got a narrow, low volume foot and I'm frankly thinking of just taking the leap on these from an online retailer given how cheap they are currently selling for, although any additional thoughts on the dalbello comparison would be appreciated.

Other issue to contend with is that i typically ski a pretty tight performance fit in 29.5 dalbellos, which have a 336 bsl. On the ZeroG, 29.5 sits at 333 and the 30.5 at 343. Thoughts on which way to go? (yes, I know the answer is go try them on, but if I were to just order them, which way would you go?)
    go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    The deals on these things are so good right now - even down to $399 - which doesn't seem to be the case for any other of the top line touring boots ($650+ at a minimum). It almost seems strange given how much people seem to like these things...
    You may be seeing the clearance prices for last year's model (e.g. https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-to...ro-g-guide-pro). The new model sells for around $900USD.

Ah you're right. Sounds like some changes to the plastic, but any other major differences? Did I hear there were changes to the heel cup? Still seems like a really good price.
    go upside down.

2019 boot is 100% new.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    2019 boot is 100% new.
    welp, back to the drawing board i guess. will probably have to get a second job just to afford a damn tech boot.
    go upside down.

If you're not counting grams and don't need a rockered sole, a 2017 or 2018 Cochise 120 with an Intuition liner is pretty light and skis very well. Almost same boot as same year Zero G Guide Pro, except cuff is a bit heavier and factory liner is way heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by abp View Post
    Out of the box, I skied them with my usual insoles at the resort and experienced pretty bad instep pain, which led me to panic that I’d made a bad decision. Cooked the liners with a fatter insole and foam shims on my surfers knots
    What was the process for cooking the liners?

Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro - 2018- 9 boot

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    welp, back to the drawing board i guess. will probably have to get a second job just to afford a damn tech boot.
    I’d jump on those leftover ones especially if you’re on a budget and not racing uphill.

Granted I wish I hadn’t seen this thread because it now has me thinking about upgrading but I have the previous version guide pros and have been super happy with them. They could be a little stiffer but for pow are more than fine.
    Last edited by dfinn; 01-02-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I’d jump on those leftover ones especially if you’re on a budget and not racing uphill.

Granted I wish I hadn’t seen this thread because it now has me thinking about upgrading but I have the previous version guide pros and have been super happy with them. They could be a little stiffer but for pow are more than fine.
    Is the shape generally the same? Thinking I might go try on the new version just to make sure they’re not totally incompatible with my feet...

I imagine the older version is still going to be wayyy lighter than my kryptons, correct?
    go upside down.

Old ones are 1550’ish grams I think. No clue what your kryptons weigh. I haven’t tried them on but based on what other people said in this thread the fit is very similar.

The fit is more snug and refined on the newer boot, overall its lower volume. The range of motion isn't even comparable with the new version hitting a completely different class of boot.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    The range of motion isn't even comparable with the new version hitting a completely different class of boot.
    Can second this. I have the current year and a pair of atomic backland carbons and the ZGTP only uphills slightly worse than the backlands with tongues in.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Probably buried in here somewhere, but anyone punch the width out to 102/103 in the forefoot with good success?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Probably buried in here somewhere, but anyone punch the width out to 102/103 in the forefoot with good success?
    Oh for sure I punched to 105mm. Miracle of Grilamid and carbon infused plastic

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

Thanks

Any idea if the toes are punchable length-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Sure, depends on what bindings you want to use though.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Adding to what Xavier said you are constrained by tech fittings for length

Quote Originally Posted by hcrossing View Post
    What was the process for cooking the liners?
    Same as anything else far as I know

Adding to what Xavier said you are constrained by tech fittings for length
    Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. I meant can you expand the toe box of the boot so your toes aren’t hitting the front of the boot, not can add or subtract from the BSL or the duckbill.

By lengthening the toe box you are potentially reducing the amount of material that your alpine binding can hold onto on the duckbill therefore potentially making them incompatible with alpine bindings.

I say potentially since it depends on binding dimensions, and where that toe punch goes in. But in most cases you can't have your pie and eat it too on this sort of boot for alpine bindings.
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 01-04-2019 at 03:11 AM.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I have gotten length out of this boot for customers, how much do you need?. The worry for me when stretching tech boots length wise is maintaining the pin alignment. Its possible to do, you just have to be conscious of it especially on lighter boots.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025