Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1383
    Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    I have a very low volume calf and ankle, constant struggle to get a secure wrap with most boots. I'm in mach1 lv inbounds with a prowrap, spoiler and the buckles pretty cranked. Just picked up a used pair of ZGTP. Carpet test with tour wrap liner seems mostly promising. Unfortunately don't have the stock liner to compare. Should get out soon and can tell you more
    After a few tours and an afternoon of inbounds - Short story is the cuff wrap on the ZGTP is quite good. With the tour wrap and a spoiler I was pretty darn happy with how they fit and skied. I don't ski touring gear inbounds normally, and I won't ski these inbounds, but I did have fun even in the chunder. I A/B'ed back to back against my Hawx XTD and the ZGTP works better for me. The hawx may have a slightly tighter cuff wrap, in that I can cut off circulation to my feet if I crank them, but the rest of the boot fits me less well and the ZGTP also wraps very well.

I'm not quite getting along with this boot even though it feels great at the shop when i'm with the boot fitter. Once I'm out skiing, I feel like my forefoot is just swimming in the boot laterally and I have to wrench the buckles down uncomfortably tight to get a good sense of "control".

I've never used aftermarket liners, but I'm considering trying some MV Tour Wraps. Am I off base here? I know lots of people aren't liking the stock liners. What is the feel of an inadequate liner?

Quote Originally Posted by jslattsbham View Post
    I'm not quite getting along with this boot even though it feels great at the shop when i'm with the boot fitter. Once I'm out skiing, I feel like my forefoot is just swimming in the boot laterally and I have to wrench the buckles down uncomfortably tight to get a good sense of "control".

I've never used aftermarket liners, but I'm considering trying some MV Tour Wraps. Am I off base here? I know lots of people aren't liking the stock liners. What is the feel of an inadequate liner?
    What’s your shell fit like? I just got fitted for the ZGTPs yesterday and felt a similar experience in the shop to what you’re describing. I had 2+ finger fit in the 26.5 and barely a finger in the 25.5. 26.5 walked great but when I flexed the boot in ski mode I felt a lot of space in the forefoot (and I don’t have narrow feet).

I went with 25.5 and may need a big toe punch to make the length work (going to ski a few days first)

I tried the 26.5 with a tour wrap and that definitely took up some volume. Not a ton though (ie it won’t fix the problem of being in a shell size that’s too big)

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    What’s your shell fit like? I just got fitted for the ZGTPs yesterday and felt a similar experience in the shop to what you’re describing. I had 2+ finger fit in the 26.5 and barely a finger in the 25.5. 26.5 walked great but when I flexed the boot in ski mode I felt a lot of space in the forefoot (and I don’t have narrow feet).

I went with 25.5 and may need a big toe punch to make the length work (going to ski a few days first)

I tried the 26.5 with a tour wrap and that definitely took up some volume. Not a ton though (ie it won’t fix the problem of being in a shell size that’s too big)
    27.5 was a tight 1 finger fit for me. It is already a size down from what I had been skiing on previously (28.5). My boot fitter did punch the sides on either side of my foot based on feedback i gave during our boot fitting session. And it really does feel correct when just standing there, but its like when I flex hard into the boot while skiing, the toebox starts to feel way to roomy.

After a few tours and an afternoon of inbounds - Short story is the cuff wrap on the ZGTP is quite good. With the tour wrap and a spoiler I was pretty darn happy with how they fit and skied. I don't ski touring gear inbounds normally, and I won't ski these inbounds, but I did have fun even in the chunder. I A/B'ed back to back against my Hawx XTD and the ZGTP works better for me. The hawx may have a slightly tighter cuff wrap, in that I can cut off circulation to my feet if I crank them, but the rest of the boot fits me less well and the ZGTP also wraps very well.
    Can you elaborate a bit more on the A/B comparison with the Hawx? I also have skinny calves, and I'm interested that you were able to get a tight enough wrap using Tour Wrap liners. I was not able to get a tight enough wrap on ZGTPs with the stock liners, and I'm just one click shy of maxing out on the upper buckles for the Hawx. How tight did you have to crank your Hawx?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit more on the A/B comparison with the Hawx? I also have skinny calves, and I'm interested that you were able to get a tight enough wrap using Tour Wrap liners. I was not able to get a tight enough wrap on ZGTPs with the stock liners, and I'm just one click shy of maxing out on the upper buckles for the Hawx. How tight did you have to crank your Hawx?
    Sure. With a tour wrap in the hawx, plus a thin spoiler, I believe the top buckle has a couple notches left. Not sure with stock liner, if I can find it I can check. In the ZGTP with the tour wrap and a chunky spoiler to increase lean angle, I have at least 2 notches as well. I never had the zero g stock liner. If you also have a low volume ankle, I think the zero g works better there.

Of course you can always drill new holes for the buckles. I ride wrap intuitions in all my boots, only thing I've found that dials in the cuff for skinny lower legs without completely crushing ankle bones

Sure. With a tour wrap in the hawx, plus a thin spoiler, I believe the top buckle has a couple notches left. Not sure with stock liner, if I can find it I can check. In the ZGTP with the tour wrap and a chunky spoiler to increase lean angle, I have at least 2 notches as well. I never had the zero g stock liner. If you also have a low volume ankle, I think the zero g works better there.

Of course you can always drill new holes for the buckles. I ride wrap intuitions in all my boots, only thing I've found that dials in the cuff for skinny lower legs without completely crushing ankle bones
    When I was shopping for boots I didn't factor in the difference a liner can make in the cuff, and the new Hawx liners are light years beefier than the ZGTP. If anyone wants to trade 27.5 ZGTP for Hawx XTD 130 let me know..

In that last sentence, you mentioned that the rest of the boot fits you less well, could you elaborate on that, please? I have very narrow and low volume foot as well, and my hawx xtd are as well great in the calf area, but the rest is still too high volume for me without adding more padding (with intuition tour wraps), any difference in mm in the lower of the boot with the zero g (lower instep/heel/midfoot, forefoot, greater length) would be great to know before i go and tire kick at a shop. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy30 View Post
    In that last sentence, you mentioned that the rest of the boot fits you less well, could you elaborate on that, please? I have very narrow and low volume foot as well, and my hawx xtd are as well great in the calf area, but the rest is still too high volume for me without adding more padding (with intuition tour wraps), any difference in mm in the lower of the boot with the zero g (lower instep/heel/midfoot, forefoot, greater length) would be great to know before i go and tire kick at a shop. Thanks
    The Hawx XTD is the lowest volume touring boot I've found (except the Salomon X-Alp/Arcteryx Procline) and I've tried on most of them. I wish I had tried on the ZGTP with a thicker liner before I went with the Hawx but its still a good boot. Its one of the lowest volume boots I've tried overall, but I'm less familiar with the market outside of touring boots.

I noticed this slightly mashed area on the heel of one of my boots. I have about 3 days of slack country touring and maybe 3 more days of inbounds skiing on them, all using Shifts. Is this indicative of incorrect adjustment? The only thing I can think of that would cause that damage is a possible a chunk of ice stuck in the back clamp as it levers down on the lug.

I was hoping to get many years of service from these boots and I want to make sure I'm not doing something dumb to beat them up quicker than they should be.

Attachment 355920
    I think there is something going on with some of the plastics in the boots and the plastics in the bindings not meshing well together. I hope someone comments on this. My girls roxa looks the same as your zero g and she has 3 days in hers and a squire is tearing her heel up and it’s the right boot only

Do those bite marks effect function in any way? My boots look worse than those, only used in Wardens

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I think there is something going on with some of the plastics in the boots and the plastics in the bindings not meshing well together. I hope someone comments on this. My girls roxa looks the same as your zero g and she has 3 days in hers and a squire is tearing her heel up and it’s the right boot only
    Maybe Grilamid is just soft plastic? I looked at my old 50/50 touring boots (skied in the shifts a ton for a couple years) and there are almost no marks at all. I'm thinking that most people are using these boots with pin bindings and so aren't really getting them chewed up.

FWIW, I skied them again last weekend and just made extra sure to clear the snow out before stepping in each time and didn't see any additional chew marks.

Do those bite marks effect function in any way? My boots look worse than those, only used in Wardens
    I would assume that at some point there is an impact, but I am totally ignorant here about how much damage is too much. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't actively accelerating the damage.

Maybe Grilamid is just soft plastic? I looked at my old 50/50 touring boots (skied in the shifts a ton for a couple years) and there are almost no marks at all. I'm thinking that most people are using these boots with pin bindings and so aren't really getting them chewed up.

FWIW, I skied them again last weekend and just made extra sure to clear the snow out before stepping in each time and didn't see any additional chew marks.

I would assume that at some point there is an impact, but I am totally ignorant here about how much damage is too much. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't actively accelerating the damage.
    Its marker heels, this is documented upthread

I used to file off the sharp edges on Marker Royal heels where they dig into the top of the heel lug, looks like the 2021 heels might be pre-rounded, finally. (Which are definitely easier to step into than prior years, though still not as easy as Salomon or similar.)

I am having the same issue with my boots - probably 10 days on a Kingpin and 10 days on an ATK this year. Seems as though it could start impacting release in the kingpin given this is where the heel holds the boot in. Pretty disappointed given they are new this year. Anyone have thoughts on how this impacts release?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boot.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	325.9 KB 
ID:	358843

I'm worried now too...my Salomon boots got all chewed up by Wardens in the same place, but luckily they have replaceable sole blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jwe View Post
    I am having the same issue with my boots - probably 10 days on a Kingpin and 10 days on an ATK this year. Seems as though it could start impacting release in the kingpin given this is where the heel holds the boot in. Pretty disappointed given they are new this year. Anyone have thoughts on how this impacts release?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boot.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	325.9 KB 
ID:	358843
    I think you just all have to accept that the design trade offs made for this boot for weight and ski feel mean that is is meant to be skied with a pin heel.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I think you just all have to accept that the design trade offs made for this boot for weight and ski feel mean that is is meant to be skied with a pin heel.
    This is the conclusion I have come to. I'm going to stop thinking about it and just ski them in the shifts until there is a problem. Then I'll just dedicated them to use with a future pin binding setup.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Someone needs to sticky this.

Dont ski marker heels with these boots. Its heavily documented upthread.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Dont ski marker heels .
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Someone needs to sticky this.

Dont ski marker heels with these boots. Its heavily documented upthread.
    This only a marker problem or do people have issues with tectons too?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post

I've gotten almost up to double digit days on my Tectons + ZGTP and haven't noticed new marks. Same DIN between my Tectons and the Lords that did notch my pair of ZGTP.

It's honestly something that'd be good for Tecnica to figure out with the next generation of this boot. They already do multi-injection on this boot with the little step in flap, would be rad to see them put some harder plastic on the toe and heel lips to better resist deformation. Even if it added like 20g it'd still be one of the best if not the best hard charging touring boot.

Speaking of product development I'm hoping that COVID hasn't messed up the development on their 1kg style boot that I've heard they are working on.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    I've gotten almost up to double digit days on my Tectons + ZGTP and haven't noticed new marks. Same DIN between my Tectons and the Lords that did notch my pair of ZGTP.

It's honestly something that'd be good for Tecnica to figure out with the next generation of this boot. They already do multi-injection on this boot with the little step in flap, would be rad to see them put some harder plastic on the toe and heel lips to better resist deformation. Even if it added like 20g it'd still be one of the best if not the best hard charging touring boot.
    Same. All good with mine and Tectons

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post

Can't speak to tectons but I've skied my shifts with these (~15 days) when not on my ATKs and they're mostly fine aside from a few marks that are way less severe than those images.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Marker heels dent Pebax shells even worse.