Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Lee have you had time on the new Maestrale RS and can you compare it to the new ZeroG in terms of skiing performance?
    And do they fit anything like the F1? I am a longtime tecnica fanboy but recently tried on some F1's and holy cow that may be the first boot to fit me out of the box.
    out of box the ZeroG was wee bit tighter around the toe and heel and ankle.

No onsnow data on the Maestrale RS as it's not a boot I tried touring or skiing. All i have is that its lower volume comparison but that is just carpet testing. See previous answer to you
    Last edited by LeeLau; 10-07-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Is there any weight difference between the F1s and the ZeroGs? Do they really tour that much better?
    Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Aren't those two in the same weight class? What's the thought process here?
    Well I've already got F1s. They fit really really well. They are pretty much the same weight as ZeroG. But the F1 stride is still massive. So I'll keep the F1 out of habit and for walking on rocks, long glacier tours etc. But I can already see my F1s will spend lots more closet time. And my Vulcans will go on budget maggot sale

I'll keep my TLT-6s for that same reason. The other is that a frozen overlap boot like the Zero G is no fun putting on in the morning. The Dynafit may still be my go-to multi-day boot but we'll see..

There's a Gizmo that makes it easier to put on a frozen overlap boot. Looks like a very oversized shoe horn, made of very slippery plastic. I bought it on Amazon and it works well.

Also, putting a bottle of hot water in the Shell for a few minutes works really well.

My beef with the zero g is that you can't replace the soles
    I do a fair amount of hiking on rocks, not because i like that, and it chews up the rubber that in my Langes freetour i have to replace the rubber heels and toes every season.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    ... TGR Forums mobile app
    Not user replaceable. But a decent shoe shop can resole. I'm pretty sure Tecnica even has some recommendations depending on where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Cant have it all, the fact that it doesn’t have replaceable soles is one of the main reasons it’s ~1300g

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Well I've already got F1s. They fit really really well. They are pretty much the same weight as ZeroG. But the F1 stride is still massive. So I'll keep the F1 out of habit and for walking on rocks, long glacier tours etc. But I can already see my F1s will spend lots more closet time. And my Vulcans will go on budget maggot sale
    Ok, sounds like you see/anticipate a performance upgrade with the Technicas?

Ok, sounds like you see/anticipate a performance upgrade with the Technicas?
    For sure. Actually anticipation is yhe wrong concept. I know they ski better

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    For sure. Actually anticipation is yhe wrong concept. I know they ski better
    it would be hard for them not to ski better. The F1's tour phenomenally well, but let's just say I found them to be lacking on the down when I skied Gray's and Torrey's last year.

sad to say that I discovered today that the Zero G's just straight up don't fit me. Neither do the Fischers. womp womp.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    it would be hard for them not to ski better. The F1's tour phenomenally well, but let's just say I found them to be lacking on the down when I skied Gray's and Torrey's last year.

sad to say that I discovered today that the Zero G's just straight up don't fit me. Neither do the Fischers. womp womp.
    Which Fischers are you talking about? I'm guessing from the womp womp that you liked the way the Fischers skied compared to the F1s?

Technica ZG Pro Tour 26.5 with spoiler and included footbed 1372g

Technica ZG Pro Tour 26.5 Shell 1120g

Dynafit Vulcan 26.5 Shell 1190g

Atomic Ultra Hawx XTD 130 26.5 Shell 1126g

Pro Tour ankle articulation feels at least as good if not better than the Vulcan walking around the living room.

Living room flex is about equal to the Vulcan without a tongue (a little hard to tell because my Vulcans have some super custom stiff intutions that weigh 500g+ with footbeds).

The buckles are far less fiddly than the Vulcans, but they seem a little fiddlier than I remember the Atomic Hawx Ultra 130s XTD.

So all said and done these are ~45g lighter per boot than the Atomics rather than the 120g I was hoping for.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Which Fischers are you talking about? I'm guessing from the womp womp that you liked the way the Fischers skied compared to the F1s?
    Ranger Free. I don't know how they ski, but it's pretty clear from trying them on that they will ski better than F1's do.

Ranger Free. I don't know how they ski, but it's pretty clear from trying them on that they will ski better than F1's do.
    Thanks. From the listed weight it seems like it matches up against the Maestrale? Skis about the same?

Not to derail this thread but the two aren’t really comparable other than weight. The Ranger skis way better, it’s not even close. The Maestrale RS tours better.

Tried them (zero g) yesterday, pretty impressed coming from a cochise. Nice and simple and light with a good natural flex. The stock liner was no bueno for my chicken legs though.

Trying on the rangers tomorrow.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Thanks. From the listed weight it seems like it matches up against the Maestrale? Skis about the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Not to derail this thread but the two aren’t really comparable other than weight. The Ranger skis way better, it’s not even close. The Maestrale RS tours better.
    They are different boots. If you are focused on touring and want something that skis better than an F1, then Maestrale (or Hoji, etc). If you want a light 50/50 boot that skis really well, or something you can do decent touring on but are more focused on skiing performance, then you want the Fischer. Just FYI, the flex on the Maestrale is that weird stiff "hit a wall" ultralight "flex" that you get with boots like Atomic XTD. The Fischer has a much more natural feeling progressive flex, as does the Zero G.

Just FYI, the flex on the Atomic XTD is that weird stiff "hit a wall" ultralight "flex" vs much more natural feeling progressive flex on the Zero G.
    Interesting. I like the Zero G flex. I remember liking the flex on the Atomic. I haven't flexed them side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Tried them (zero g) yesterday, pretty impressed coming from a cochise. Nice and simple and light with a good natural flex. The stock liner was no bueno for my chicken legs though.

Trying on the rangers tomorrow.
    Will be interested to hear about the fit.

Will be interested to hear about the fit.
    Rangers fit me really well. Best out of box so far. Will be getting them. Snug at top of boot and stock liners seem good enough. Only had the 120s but same mold as 130s. Walk mechanism is nice and small and rom was excellent.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

I've skied in the original Cochise (which never fit me right and didn't ski downhill very well, and was heavy), then the Maestrale RS (not the new one), then the Lange XT Freetour (orange) and wound up in the F1 after swearing never to buy a Scarpa again after my feet got destroyed by the Maestrale RS' in spite of lots of work on them. For me, the F1 tours great, and I really like the way it skis. It fits me great. Just wish it was a little warmer for cold VT hikes.
    I'm probably an outlier on this, and my only frame of reference are my prior three boots (and a parade of touring boots going back to my Kolfach Valugas in 1982 all of which pretty much sucked in DH mode), but this skis better for me. I'd put it = to the Lange but so much better for uphill.
    All that said, the new Tecnica looks very nice. I use the Mach 1 130 for alpine with a few mods and love it.

I wonder if there is a difference in power transfer between the Atomic Hawx WTR sole and the Tour Pro AT sole. The Tour Pro does have some grey plastic at the key points that might be lower friction/stiffer lugg on the toe/heel kind of like what the Vulcan had.

Going by memory, but when I checked the black rubber is 71 Shore A, the yellow is 75, and the grey AFD tread blocks are 79.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Going by memory, but when I checked the black rubber is 71 Shore A, the yellow is 75, and the grey AFD tread blocks are 79.
    I learned something today... https://www.smooth-on.com/page/durom...ardness-scale/

Hawx 130 XTD can do full shell molding and its recommended.

What about the Technica ZG Tour Pro?

Anyone with a tall/ large instep try these guys?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.