Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1383
    Ordered a spare set of zeppas.

They are the yellow ones.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by shredorded View Post
    Any tips on how to upgrade the strap on last year’s boots without fudging around with rivets?
    I recently ordered the power lock hooks from Tecnica and put them on my old straps. So far so good. Would recommend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1282_v.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	442353

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Ordered a spare set of zeppas.

They are the yellow ones.
    Thanks. Ordering a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by bthomson22 View Post
    I recently ordered the power lock hooks from Tecnica and put them on my old straps. So far so good. Would recommend.

Name:	IMG_1282_v.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	442353
    It’s better for sure.

I still found at the bottom of a run the strap had moved up the boot shaft and was not really tight any more so I took them off and don’t miss them.

I suppose a power strap on a 130 flex boot could be considered extraneous.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    It’s better for sure.

I still found at the bottom of a run the strap had moved up the boot shaft and was not really tight any more so I took them off and don’t miss them.
    You’ve inspired me. Think I’ll take the strap off and reduce some fiddle factor.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

For those in the "need more forward lean" camp who went with a spoiler: Where did you get said spoiler? I threw my tongue spoilers out two years ago not understanding what they were. Tecnica wants $35 -per- tongue spoiler. DIY? Any reason I can't use a spoiler from a different brand?

You can get mine for free (last years boots) if you happen to be in europe

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    For those in the "need more forward lean" camp who went with a spoiler: Where did you get said spoiler? I threw my tongue spoilers out two years ago not understanding what they were. Tecnica wants $35 -per- tongue spoiler. DIY? Any reason I can't use a spoiler from a different brand?
    Go to any ski shop thy sells Lange. They make the thickest most readily available spoilers and shops love to pull them out of peoples boots. Or if you’ve got a surefoot nearby they probably have piles.

Anyone tried the B&D Ultimate rivets on the ZG's? Slop is terrible on my otherwise look-like-new ZG's.
    Religion Is Poison

Selling a great shape set of liners in gear swap

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Go to any ski shop thy sells Lange. They make the thickest most readily available spoilers and shops love to pull them out of peoples boots. Or if you’ve got a surefoot nearby they probably have piles.
    This. I use the Lange World Cup spoilers from a few years ago (used to come in the box). Glued a strip of Velcro fuzz to the liner so I could take them off for skinning. Older K2 also work. This gives you ~2 degrees more forward lean, depending on how far down you push it.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I suppose a power strap on a 130 flex boot could be considered extraneous.
    Not at all. I wear my power straps high on my liner. Without them, all I feel is the liner folding over the top of the shell mid shin

Found a pair of the scarpa freedom intuition liners recently and threw them in my ZGTP... night and day difference in ski performance. My stock liners were pretty clapped after 50+ days. I had to tighten the buckles all the way to get decent heel hold and I always felt like I had to pull back on my skiing to not blow through all the flex. I was ready to move on from these boots but decided to give another liner a shot first. I'm really glad I did.

From the first run today I felt like I could trust the boots again. They are so much stiffer and more comfortable. I don't have to tighten the buckles all the way and I didn't feel like I lost that much touring ROM. Maybe 5% loss of ROM while in full walk mode? I kept the stock liners for long spring days but I have a feeling I'll never put them in the boots again.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    This. I use the Lange World Cup spoilers from a few years ago (used to come in the box). Glued a strip of Velcro fuzz to the liner so I could take them off for skinning. Older K2 also work. This gives you ~2 degrees more forward lean, depending on how far down you push it.

Name:	Image1675749450.967309.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	446576this and the Lange free tours had a lamer version.

Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro - 2018- 9 boot

So I’ve had an interesting time getting to know these boots. This is half review, half help me find the right boot and half therapy (you can send me your Venmo for the extra half).

First of all, im a quite low volume all around but long foot. I measure around a 29.6 on one foot and like a 29.1ish on the other. The kicker (so to speak) is that I have big heel spurs that make my feet fit longer and boot fitters worry about messing up the ski/walk mechanism in a 28.5 to compensate. I’m coming out of a 29.5 dynafit mercury with intuition pro tongues in a 30 and decently large heel wedges (resulting fit is quite good). Resort boots were technica agent 120 with LV zips (awesome fit) and are now technica Mach 1 LVs with full length shims and butterflies on stock liners (fit is OK…I tore the Zips so have to save up for new ones now).

So I went with a 29.5 zgtp on the recommendation of bootfitters.

Ok, here’s my experience with the zgtp:

First, the durability -
    BOTH dynafit heel fittings fell out after two days of use. I also found out the hard way about stripping the fwd lean screws. New parts on the way from blizzard for that…has anyone else experienced the metal heel fittings just falling out??

Second, the fit -
    TLR I have a full length shim, plus the stock footbed under the inner boot plus a green superfoot insole PLUS butterfly patch on the back of the foot to secure the ankle AND I added two strips of that same black butterfly foam to the spoiler area for fwd lean help. Now the fit feels pretty good! Tight in the toes in a way that will be fine after a few days skiing. No longer feel the ankle flopping around or the forefoot coming off the footbed when I (ghasp) have to pull myself out of the back seat.

Skiing the boot in the resort at reasonably moderate/high pace on melty off piste not quite corn (hot pow?) I could feel the lower part of the boot flexing and bending in interesting ways while skiing my helio 116’s. I could also feel the bottom of my foot rotating slightly out I assume because of the stack up of materials under the boot and lack of friction between shim, insole, boot and superfoot. Skiing them in the bc on everything from pow to firm windboard feels…fine, I guess? Still kinda too upright but I don’t notice the other weirdness above.

So then the question: should I 1) stop thinking so much and ski them like this for the next few years until the boot dies 2) remold my now probably 6 year old pro tongue liners (size 30) and hope they suck up the extra volume so I can remove some of the padding/shimming (kinda avoiding this so I can use my all-but-dead mercuries with my skis mounted with non-adjustable speed super lights until I figure out what my next BSL is…) 3) get a new boot - and if so - which one? Another bootfitter said the scarpa Quattro in a 29 might be the answer as it’s lower volume all around, still stiff and has a larger heel.

What say the collective wisdom, here!?

"Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Thanks. My shop gave me a couple from K2, got some Lange and found my originals for good measure. Like the Lange's the best they help for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
    So I’ve had an interesting time getting to know these boots. This is half review, half help me find the right boot and half therapy (you can send me your Venmo for the extra half).

First of all, im a quite low volume all around but long foot. I measure around a 29.6 on one foot and like a 29.1ish on the other. The kicker (so to speak) is that I have big heel spurs that make my feet fit longer and boot fitters worry about messing up the ski/walk mechanism in a 28.5 to compensate. I’m coming out of a 29.5 dynafit mercury with intuition pro tongues in a 30 and decently large heel wedges (resulting fit is quite good). Resort boots were technica agent 120 with LV zips (awesome fit) and are now technica Mach 1 LVs with full length shims and butterflies on stock liners (fit is OK…I tore the Zips so have to save up for new ones now).

First, the durability -
    BOTH dynafit heel fittings fell out after two days of use. I also found out the hard way about stripping the fwd lean screws. New parts on the way from blizzard for that…has anyone else experienced the metal heel fittings just falling out??

Second, the fit -
    TLR I have a full length shim, plus the stock footbed under the inner boot plus a green superfoot insole PLUS butterfly patch on the back of the foot to secure the ankle AND I added two strips of that same black butterfly foam to the spoiler area for fwd lean help. Now the fit feels pretty good! Tight in the toes in a way that will be fine after a few days skiing. No longer feel the ankle flopping around or the forefoot coming off the footbed when I (ghasp) have to pull myself out of the back seat.

Skiing the boot in the resort at reasonably moderate/high pace on melty off piste not quite corn (hot pow?) I could feel the lower part of the boot flexing and bending in interesting ways while skiing my helio 116’s. I could also feel the bottom of my foot rotating slightly out I assume because of the stack up of materials under the boot and lack of friction between shim, insole, boot and superfoot. Skiing them in the bc on everything from pow to firm windboard feels…fine, I guess? Still kinda too upright but I don’t notice the other weirdness above.

So then the question: should I 1) stop thinking so much and ski them like this for the next few years until the boot dies 2) remold my now probably 6 year old pro tongue liners (size 30) and hope they suck up the extra volume so I can remove some of the padding/shimming (kinda avoiding this so I can use my all-but-dead mercuries with my skis mounted with non-adjustable speed super lights until I figure out what my next BSL is…) 3) get a new boot - and if so - which one? Another bootfitter said the scarpa Quattro in a 29 might be the answer as it’s lower volume all around, still stiff and has a larger heel.

How is the shape and size of the heel cup? If good for you, I'd try some different liners first. The stock liners (before 22/23) are known to be crappy ass craptastic bullshit liners.

[Asshole comment cuz I'm your friend, but it's still true: I'd also try skiing the skis in the conditions they're intended for - the performance envelope is much narrower with touring layups and light boots. Were the Helios in cold pow and off the skin track? Nope - heavy Sierra hot pow at a resort on a strong skiers' foot? You're gonna get tossed around.]

Start with your old Pro Tongues. You can also try my 28 Tour Wraps, but those may be too small.

I'm now in Pro Tours in mine - they tour as well as the stock liner, but more volume in heel/ankle and more power/smoothness.

Tour Wraps skied even better than the Pro Tours, but I preferred the better touring function of the tongue liner.

TLDR - try better liners and footbed - work with a shop to recommend one based on your needs.
    sproing!

First, the durability -

Second, the fit -

Heel fittings falling out is weird. I've had multiple pairs of these boots with probably ~300 days, and I have many friends on them. Your experience is an anomaly.

That said.... sounds like you are trying to take up a LOT of volume in those boots. Personally, I toss the stock liner and use an Intuition wrap (I use the Godiva because it is rather stiff AND also lower than the male version.... helps a little bit with ROM to not have the tall liner hitting my calves while also being high performance).

My experience with the Intuition tongue-style liners is they are not as high DH performance and also pack out faster. YMMV, but if you're looking to fill volume that might be a temp fix.

I can tell you I have never felt the sole of this boot flexing. I've never heard that feedback from anyone I know.

Feels a little bit like you might be in the wrong size shell if I'm honest — or perhaps that this is not the boot for your feet. Seems like those fixes are going to be prone to reduced effectiveness and then, well, slop.

I've pushed these boots hard on skis up to 120 under foot. They're not a full alpine boot but they're not nothing, either.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    How is the shape and size of the heel cup? If good for you, I'd try some different liners first. The stock liners (before 22/23) are known to be crappy ass craptastic bullshit liners.

[Asshole comment cuz I'm your friend, but it's still true: I'd also try skiing the skis in the conditions they're intended for - the performance envelope is much narrower with touring layups and light boots. Were the Helios in cold pow and off the skin track? Nope - heavy Sierra hot pow at a resort on a strong skiers' foot? You're gonna get tossed around.]

Start with your old Pro Tongues. You can also try my 28 Tour Wraps, but those may be too small.

I'm now in Pro Tours in mine - they tour as well as the stock liner, but more volume in heel/ankle and more power/smoothness.

Tour Wraps skied even better than the Pro Tours, but I preferred the better touring function of the tongue liner.

TLDR - try better liners and footbed - work with a shop to recommend one based on your needs.
    Tour Wraps are NOT a good liner if one is interested in performance. They break down really fast, and they probably even soften the boot. They're not the same foam as the alpine wrap. I think they are much closer to the Intuition liners of decades ago than they are to today's high-performance models.

I think you have some good advice, but I would never recommend the Tour wrap. Pro Tour is a completely different animal, though it has its flaws. (I have them in my Zero G Peaks — I got those on Dec 31st and put the Pro Tours in there, oh, about Jan 15th. I have 30+ days on them, and already they've noticeably broken down. The Tour Wraps would have lasted ~5-10 days.)

Also.... I agree on the performance of the boot they they can be pushed pretty damn hard (unless someone is 210#). Sole of the boot flexing? Something's up.

I suspect that is more how it might *feel* because of the loose connection between skier and boot... maybe slop in the system from the shims, etc?

Awesome. Thanks for all the advice! I’ll re-bake the pro tongues and see how that goes. Will go to a different bootfitter for that and see what they say. Maybe new shell.

Sorry, sole of boot is not flexing. I meant the lower part of the boot below the cuff over the foot. Like the bottom two buckles.

I only felt this skiing medium hard on melted mashed potatoes on a hot day with wide skis. Never in the bc.

"Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

First, the durability -

Second, the fit -

Heel fitting failure makes me think your scaffo plastic is out of spec, or the pilot holes were too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I'm sure most ski shops have a box of them kicking around that they'd toss you for free/beer

Name:	IMG_2540.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	449023

I got a sheet of foam from a bootfitter and cut it into sections that I could stick on as spoilers…

Also, doesn’t a tongue spoiler have the opposite effect? Or am I just not understanding how those work? I still have mine but am not using them.