Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Well there just might be a little more hope for stretching/punching the new ZG than the previous two....
    while they will be easier to punch the old ones weren't that hard if you know what you're doing. I've seen one stretched to 126 in the forefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    I've got the touring weight of my Lupo Carbon down to 1550g in size 25.5

That's with tongue and booster strap off, I also removed the bottom buckle because I didn't use it.

Sub 1300g for 25.5 on Zero G sounds great, but there's no way they'll ski like a Lupo Carbon. Not that they have too...

I think that could be a good 2 boot quiver. Replace TLT5P with these for light boot. I've decided I really just like nice downhill performance in my touring boots. I also got fitter, so stopped sweating the weight as much.
    Downhill Performance is very hard thing to quantify. I think they will ski like a pretty good overlap ski boot and a damn site better than
    a Vulcan or a TLT. Stiffness is not the only variable it's how the boot flexes and articulates that also comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by couchsending View Post

Downhill Performance is very hard thing to quantify. I think they will ski like a pretty good overlap ski boot and a damn site better than
    a Vulcan or a TLT. Stiffness is not the only variable it's how the boot flexes and articulates that also comes into play.
    Thanks, with some testing, I'm sold on these as a touring boot. Lupos will basically become my alpine boot. Where I live now the lift access off-piste doesn't require very long walks. The the terrain with no lift access is amazing with lots of time to walk up. So it's good to have a quiver.

If anyone in SLC is a 26.5 and wants to try a pair I dropped some off at Skimo.co. They'll be there for a while and those guys are fine with letting people try them.

Braindump till I formalize into a review.

Just to compare - after going 20 days on the Tecnica I skied my Vulcans and my Dalbello Lupo130c then Mtn Labs. Vulcans are clapped out and without tongue. Skied Prior Overlords Beast 16s in pow, chopped up snow inbounds and small tours. Leaving in personal habit so the writeup has context

The Vulcan still walks better in terms of ROM but only by a small amount. The Tecnica tours much better than Dalbello and Salomon in terms of fore aft flexion. Better ROM is particularly noticeable.

For ease of transitions got to remove tongue for Dalbello to get a massive RoM and undo buckles. With tongue in you shuffle along. For Tecnica undo 3 buckles but can leave power strap tight. For Mtn Lab got to undo 2 buckles and power strap. For Vulcans i undo 2 buckles and leave powerstrap loose for skiing anyhow so dont touch it. Both boots i leave the forefoot buckle pretty loose and don't touch. I tour on glaciers with flat approaches so want the long stride.

The Tecnica skis better than Salomon, tongueless Vulcan in terms of being stiffer and having better quality of "ski feel" . It is softer but has better feel than Dalbello. I am now convinced the 130C is too stiff for me. Dalbello is stiffer but is very bricklike feel compared to Tecnica. The Tecnica is very smooth in comparison.

Particularly evident on Blackcomb Glacier which is a wide open 35 30 deg glacier run where you can let skis run. The glacier has tons of traverse tracks which you hit on the fallline. On the Vulcan Tecnica MtnLab I ski them centred using speed and lateral weighting to fallline the traverse hits. This is where the Vulcan's tendency to hit a brick wall on foreaft hits is most evident when compared to the other boots. On the Dalbello Lupo 130C I drive the shins (and ski tips) feeling like I can monster truck the chopped up variable snow.

I don't have Atomic HawX right now as I had a size too big but going from memory here. The HawX is so close to the Tecnica I cannot tell/recall differences. They are super close in terms of uphill/downhill ability. The Tecnica is 80g lighter and price is similar iirc so that would come doqn to fit. But fit is always the case so just stating the obvious

"Problem" wih Tecnica is its so light i have almost no reason to use my old TLT6 or Scarpa F1. They are 1100g which is not that much lighter. i will use the F1 to see on spring trips if it makes a big differenc But that is my thoughts for now. No real wear on Tecnica soles but no sled abuse or rock walking

This is the problem when you have too many boots

Thanks LeeLau for that - very much affirming my decision to buy to replace my Mtn Labs and TLT6s. Hoping to have me some ZGTPs and Shifts next month for my last southern season. Will post pretty photos and embellished details in June when I start skiing the new toys.

Anything new in the last month?
    Tnx for all the info btw! I'll hopefully tour in these insted of Procline and Mtn Lab

Quote Originally Posted by LawndartGustav View Post
    Anything new in the last month?
    Tnx for all the info btw! I'll hopefully tour in these insted of Procline and Mtn Lab
    Not really. I skied them into May. It got warm. Feet get sweaty but then they always do in spring. Boots didn't feel noticeably softer. Only walked on a few rocks so really didn't put more wear. Not enough to really say either way.

Ended the season with 22 days on them and they're a good boot - Vulcan replacement. Possibly even F1 replacement

how about fit wise, I need the narrow heel/low volume ankle/wide 4foot in a 24 ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What's the heel pocket like on these compared to the MTN Labs? I love how the Labs ski, but I'm tired of getting blisters on the inside of my heels in the spring when my feet are all sweaty.

Also, what's the stock liner like? Did you try them with Pro Tours?

I think the heel is good hold. It's narrow. Similar to krypton. Liner is OK. Little soft. Good for touring, ok skiing. I'm gonna replace with intuition wrap tour
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    What's the heel pocket like on these compared to the MTN Labs? I love how the Labs ski, but I'm tired of getting blisters on the inside of my heels in the spring when my feet are all sweaty.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I think the heel is good hold. It's narrow. Similar to krypton. Liner is OK. Little soft. Good for touring, ok skiing. I'm gonna replace with intuition wrap tour
    I
    How many days inbounds/touring do you have on the boots, margotron? Did you mold the liner before deciding on an intuition? Curious about swapping the liner right away. Did it pack out a ton on you?

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by markcjr; 05-28-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    how about fit wise, I need the narrow heel/low volume ankle/wide 4foot in a 24 ??
    Answered that earlier. Its narrower

Definitely smaller heel pocket. See other comments earlier too compared to other boots post 109 and also from XavierD

Skied with stock liner. Also threw in my ProTours and they were comparable.,

Thanks guys. How would you describe the heel pocket on these compared to the Hawx XTD?

I'll try both on side by side this coming season when they're hopefully in stores and see which one I'll go for. A shame to let go of my MTN Labs that ski really well with ProTours and booster straps, but those damn blisters while touring in warm weather are a true annoyance.

Thanks guys. How would you describe the heel pocket on these compared to the Hawx XTD?

I'll try both on side by side this coming season when they're hopefully in stores and see which one I'll go for. A shame to let go of my MTN Labs that ski really well with ProTours and booster straps, but those damn blisters while touring in warm weather are a true annoyance.
    I can tell you that the heel pocket in the Hawx XTD is FAR narrower than the MTN Lab. Like, not even close. If the MTN was even passable then you might not fit in the XTD at all.
    I can't compare to the new Zero G, but the old Zero G was somewhere in between the XTD and MTN in heel width/volume.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I can tell you that the heel pocket in the Hawx XTD is FAR narrower than the MTN Lab. Like, not even close. If the MTN was even passable then you might not fit in the XTD at all.
    I can't compare to the new Zero G, but the old Zero G was somewhere in between the XTD and MTN in heel width/volume.
    Thanks! I'll try both of them and see, but I suspect the Zero G might be a better fit for me. The Labs fit my feet well except for poor heel hold, but that's AFAIK a common issue with these boots. A lot of things about the new Zero G's look mighty impressive!

Early season bump... I hope these fit... if so these can replace my TLT5P and Vulcans, both of which were worn out before last season started. That means I can actually replace my worn out alpine boots too!

If not, Hawx 130 + Backland Carbons and the alpine boots wait... tough times tough choices... long way from the days for Garmont G-Rides with Raichle Flexon tongues!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Im going to finally retire my Vulcans for these ZeroGs and keep the F1s also.

Lee have you had time on the new Maestrale RS and can you compare it to the new ZeroG in terms of skiing performance?
    And do they fit anything like the F1? I am a longtime tecnica fanboy but recently tried on some F1's and holy cow that may be the first boot to fit me out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Is there any weight difference between the F1s and the ZeroGs? Do they really tour that much better?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Aren't those two in the same weight class? What's the thought process here?

F1 has almost double the forward lean. Definitely not my jam.

Any more info directly comparing these and Hawx XTD's?
    I'd choose xtds over the old zeros for the tighter ankle fit alone but if the new ones fit different or really leap ahead on the performance front i might need to rethink.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Any more info directly comparing these and Hawx XTD's?
    Fit on the Zero G Tour Pro seems almost exactly like the old ZG Guide Pro, more generous than the Hawx Ultra XTD especially around the ankle. If you have narrow ankles, nothing beats the Atomic Ultra last for small circumference, but that also makes the boot tough to get in and out of, especially if you have a tall instep. So far I've only walked around the store in the new Zero G, but the walk mode range seems similar to the Hawx XTD. Flex seems quite stiff for such a light boot.

FWIW, both of these boots gained weight in the prototype-to-production transition (people complained about the thin liners, probably, pretty common). The 2019 Hawx Ultra XTD 26.5 we got in the store weighed in about 25 grams heavier than my prototype boots from last season; the production Zero G Tour Pro 26.5 weighed in at 1353 grams vs. Lee's 1297 grams from last spring.

Greg,
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure the ZeroG Tour Pro was around 1300 and the Tour Scout (green boot) was ~1350, 50g heavier.

I reweighed them with the OEM sock liner in place and got 1353 and 1385, respectively.