Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Wonder how a TLT tongue would fit inside Alien RS shell.
    I have a new pair of size 28.0 Alien RS's which I haven't skied yet. I slid some Dynafit TLT 5 tongues (black, 27) in between the liner and BOA cables and the Aliens still fit fine. I have a low volume foot with a low instep but I expect the open shell will also fit higher insteps. These tongues are pretty thin and weigh 136 gm for the pair. It's easier to insert the tongues while not wearing the boots since the tip get's hung up. Surprisingly they don't restrict the walk mode much.

I stepped into a ski and did some carpet flex testing. Adding the tongues increases the stiffness, but not as much as hoped. They still feel softer than my La Sportiva Spectre's (Gen 1). I'll know better when I get them on snow. I doubt they could compete with the new Zero G Tour. The Aliens are in the flyweight class.

true :-) but it's not necessarily what I really need:
    light AT boot with insert
    compatible with my sth binding
    with a good krypton flex

for that perhaps the new head core 600gr heavier would be a better choice, apparently they had work a lot on the quality of flex...

@auvgeek: yes people with tech binding will love this stiff tecnica, but as you say looking after the quality should be the next thing in that target
    honestly they are yet Wonderbar tools to do everything! but there is point to take care like
    compatibility, delta and ramp angle if you want they work well in each binding you've got on your quiver

an point I find nice on a freetouring oriented mind is the weight save on the shoes can go on the ski to replace this horrible carbon fiber or light core and give an better confort in downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    I have a new pair of size 28.0 Alien RS's which I haven't skied yet. I slid some Dynafit TLT 5 tongues (black, 27) in between the liner and BOA cables and the Aliens still fit fine. I have a low volume foot with a low instep but I expect the open shell will also fit higher insteps. These tongues are pretty thin and weigh 136 gm for the pair. It's easier to insert the tongues while not wearing the boots since the tip get's hung up. Surprisingly they don't restrict the walk mode much.

I stepped into a ski and did some carpet flex testing. Adding the tongues increases the stiffness, but not as much as hoped. They still feel softer than my La Sportiva Spectre's (Gen 1). I'll know better when I get them on snow. I doubt they could compete with the new Zero G Tour. The Aliens are in the flyweight class.
    if you want stiffness with your dynafit tongue add stoppers that are in contact with the upper shell, but not sure your will be happy : a brick flex

Perhaps a Krypton tongue up not under with a hole for the boa, and the tlt5 or 6 plastic piece to stop the tong on the front of the shoe would be better (and you really gain 20 flex index) and give you the option to drive heavier ski when you need it

Quote Originally Posted by buenonda View Post
    . . . for that perhaps the new head core 600gr heavier would be a better choice, apparently they had work a lot on the quality of flex . . .
    More like 200+ grams heavier - the pair I tried were around 1540 grams per boot (1532 and 1548). Skied well and much closer to a 130 flex than most of the competition, but if the Krypton last fits you it will be very roomy. The Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro fits like a legit 99mm last and flexes stiffer than the old ZG, though I haven't skied it yet and didn't have a scale on me to weigh it (claimed weight is 1315 g).

Guessing these will work with the Shift, given the sole is pretty similar to the Mtn Lab?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Guessing these will work with the Shift, given the sole is pretty similar to the Mtn Lab?
    Guessing you are right, they appear to have a normal ISO 9523 sole.

This boot looks the goods for me - something with Mtn Lab like-flex at a lighter weight. If the ROM is good, I can see me in these next season, purely due to them being lighter than Hojis or Spectres or Maestrales.

From the review discussing going uphill, "best overlap cuff range of motion" and "cuff mobility leaves nothing to be desired."

As people get some time on these boots it would be helpful to know how the ZeroG compares to Dynafit TLTs etc. when touring. Especially from folks who dislike leaving the boot tongues in when going uphill.

Nice reviews and beta. I own a pair of 16-17 Cochise 130's size 28 shell, orange four buckle model. Anybody want to compare the fit of these versa the 18-19 OG's Tour Pro. Not performance or ROM, just fit. Thanks

im really intrigued by these too. these and the hawx xtd 120

Holy crap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weight20180312_172339.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	228026

Wow, I’m definitely curious...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Holy crap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weight20180312_172339.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	228026
    Damn, and you didn't even take the orange Dynafit thingy off. Hopefully mine will be here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Hopefully mine will be here soon.
    How does one acquire these boots now?

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    Sponsored pro athlete or media reviewer, probably. Retail stores Fall 2018?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-12-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    im really intrigued by these too. these and the hawx xtd 120
    hopefully the heel pocket is similarly snug as the current zero g. When I was trying new boots this past fall the atomic heel pocket was cavernous. Fitter attributed it mostly to a poor liner but the difference in heel hold was quite noticeable.

x2. 24/24.5, please. I've got a few overnighters I would like to take care of this spring, my current second-hand touring boots make me not so excited.

I know a guy. Retail availability will probably start around August to September, though a few pairs may show up earlier in Europe. 24/24.5 has low priority in new boots, they always make the sample size first (26.5), then 27.5, then 25.5/28.5, etc.

Suppose retail is $850 or something nuts?

I can't really read the scale in the photo. What are we impressed with?

It's sub 1300g

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Oh,
    I thought it was the 'light fit' of the liner.

But yeah, the weight's not bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Damn, and you didn't even take the orange Dynafit thingy off. Hopefully mine will be here soon.
    I actually forgot to take out the paper from the liner too. So knock about 15g off that 1296g measured.

Stock liner is 220g so that's lighter than Intuition Protour w laces (280g)

With lacers, velcro spoiler and footbed in the liner lets call this thing 1330g in a sz 26.5 - bsl 302mm

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Oh,
    I thought it was the 'light fit' of the liner.

But yeah, the weight's not bad either.
    The liner isn't ass. The last Palau liner by Tecnica was actually one of the few I didn't garbage immediately for Intuition. But of course standard reminder I am totally biased in favour of Intuition

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    hopefully the heel pocket is similarly snug as the current zero g. When I was trying new boots this past fall the atomic heel pocket was cavernous. Fitter attributed it mostly to a poor liner but the difference in heel hold was quite noticeable.
    Atomic 130 XTD liner was uuuuhhh voluminous and kind of soft. Replaced immediately with Protour so agreed that the heelhold of that liner was meh.

That said here are some fit comparisons after wearing it around kitchen clomping around and annoying wife but not on-snow yet (Tecnica ZeroG with stock liner). I'm comparing with other boots which people have randomly asked about and going from memory plus data from kitchen stomping is poor so please don't hold me to this. Just putting it up because there won't be much else. If there is variation between what proper bootfitters like GregL or XavierD or MtnLion say trust what they say over my ramblings.

Slightly Narrower and less volume toe-box then HawX 130 and Cochise 120. Quite a bit less volume than Vulcan. For my super wide feet i will need a small punch and aggressive liner cook.

Tighter heelhold than HawX 130. Comparable to Cochise 120. Quite a bit tighter heelhold than Mtn Lab. Way tighter then cavernous Maestrale RS For my heels which are medium-small it's ok but will assess after touring

Instep is medium to small volume. I will probably deal with that with liner cook
    Last edited by LeeLau; 04-10-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Bummer about the instep- that’s one of the consistent features that has kept me in Tecnica’s the past several seasons...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

Slightly Narrower and less volume toe-box then HawX 130 and Cochise 120. Quite a bit less volume than Vulcan. For my super wide feet i will need a small punch and aggressive liner cook.

Tighter heelhold than HawX 130. Comparable to Cochise 120. Quite a bit tighter heelhold than Mtn Lab. Way tighter then cavernous Maestrale RS For my heels which are medium-small it's ok but will assess after touring

Instep is medium to small volume. I will probably deal with that with liner cook
    Just to be sure, are you talking about the older Cochise or the all black 120 Cochise from the last two years (16/17-17/18)?