Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    3mm off the rest of the cochise line from recent years? (as in, 2017 Cochise's in that size are 305mm). That's actually pretty annoying - hope there was a good reason for it.
    It's lighter that way - 3mm of thick plastic is fairly heavy and you have to approach weight reduction in a light boot incrementally. Buckles, liner, shorter BSL, hardware - take off a little wherever you can. Same BSL as the Hawx Ultra XTD, which is really the main target.

Could you please tell, how is fit compared to kryptons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    Could you please tell, how is fit compared to kryptons?
    Wider and higher volume than a KR Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Saving 550-600 grams is enough to perk my interest but I'd still want to be able to swap back and forth with various skis without having to make binding adjustments every time. Resort slackcountry laps vs. starting at the trailhead, that sort of thing.
    If you're using pin bindings, remember there will be a big difference in felt ramp angle between the Cochise and a rockered-sole boot like the 2019 Zero G in the same binding. It would be a lot easier going back and forth between Cochise and 2017 / 2018 Zero G.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-08-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    If you're using pin bindings, remember there will be a big difference in felt ramp angle between the Cochise and a rockered-sole boot like the 2019 Zero G in the same binding. It would be a lot easier going back and forth between Cochise and 2017/8 Zero G.
    That's actually a really good point. Especially for bindings that have toe adjustments based on the boot. So I guess that makes my complaints of slight BSL variations moot in comparison.

What is the fit like compared to MTN Labs? I would guess the MTN is narrower, but how do they compare as far as volume in the ankle and heel?

Cochise being updated?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    What is the fit like compared to MTN Labs? I would guess the MTN is narrower, but how do they compare as far as volume in the ankle and heel?
    The Zero G Tour Pro is slightly wider in the forefoot and slightly narrower/lower volume in the heel/midfoot than the MTN Lab. That's based on roughly 8 minutes of wearing the Tour Pro in the parking lot - I skied the MTN Lab for a couple seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Wider and higher volume than a KR Pro.
    what's close to a krypton pro that isnt the Lupo Factory?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    what's close to a krypton pro that isnt the Lupo Factory?
    I didn't really look that closely at the thickness of the OEM Tecnica liner, but I would guess the Zero G Tour Pro with an Intuition Pro Tour MV would come close.

Changes to Cochise?

Will these be available in multiple flex options?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Changes to Cochise?
    Slight color change to the 130, and just three flex options: 130, 120, 100. (No more 90)

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Will these be available in multiple flex options?
    Yes, three models:
    Tour Pro: $899, 1315g and 130 flex. Carbon infused cuff.
    Tour Scout:$799, ~1375g and 120 flex. PA upper and lower.
    Tour (base model): $599? ~1500g and 110 flex with Pebax upper and lower.

Could be wrong on plastics however.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Slight color change to the 130, and just three flex options: 130, 120, 100. (No more 90)

Yes, three models:

Thank you good sir.

Yes, three models:

This is for 26 right? What does the maestrale rs2 weigh in at?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    This is for 26 right? What does the maestrale rs2 weigh in at?
    1428 in the 26.5/27.0

Sorry if I missed it -- does this replace the current Zero G line (Guide/Guide Pro), or is that still around?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Sorry if I missed it -- does this replace the current Zero G line (Guide/Guide Pro), or is that still around?
    Replace.
    Tecnica line up next year:
    Firebird - 93 and 98mm multiple flexes
    Mach1 (LV -98, MV 100, HV -103) (90-130 flex)
    Cochise (100, 120, 130, 99mm)
    ZeroG Tour (Guide, Scout, Base, 99mm)

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    1428 in the 26.5/27.0
    Thanks!

Replace.
    Tecnica line up next year:
    Firebird - 93 and 98mm multiple flexes
    Mach1 (LV -98, MV 100, HV -103) (90-130 flex)
    Cochise (100, 120, 130, 99mm)
    ZeroG Tour (Guide, Scout, Base, 99mm)
    Gracias!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I bought the hawx xtd 130 in 27.5 with custom liner, sole,boot board, take off the first buckle and strap: 2700gr

with the tecnica you could put the weight near 2500gt in the same length,
    with a rockered sole, nice fit and flex, and not the best but a very good range of motion

happy? yes and no
    1- the price
    2-not all the "suppose mnc" alpine binding go well with rockered sole:
    if you want an expensive all in one
    it's because you want to use a big part of your quiver
    look carefully if your alpine binding accept this rockered sole (by example with my atomic WTR the height setting on a warden was at the maximum)
    3- if it's only a "pin" binding use (with lighter skis)
    you don't really need a such stiff flex
    and perhaps prefer a better weight and range of motion like the alien RS ( with a swappable krypton tongue)
    4- quality of flex
    a small detail but with these nervous and light materials you CAN'T have the same plush and progressive foward flex as a krypton or lupo AX

so even if tecnica and other brands(fisher, head, ato, salomon, scarpa) have done a fantastic job in this type of boots, is this really what people need?
    Last edited by buenonda; 02-18-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Wonder how a TLT tongue would fit inside Alien RS shell.

Quote Originally Posted by buenonda View Post
    and perhaps prefer a better weight and range of motion like the alien RS ( with a swappable krypton tongue)
    4- quality of flex
    a small detail but with these nervous and light materials you CAN'T have the same plush and progressive foward flex as a krypton or lupo AX
    3 - I think there are plenty of people who would disagree with you regarding stiff boots in tech binders.

4 - well obviously no touring boot will flex like an alpine boot, just like the Krypon doesn't flex like a plug boot. But that doesn't mean there's not considerably room for companies to improve the quality of flex in 1300g-1600g boots. 5 years ago everybody thought a 130 flex 1400 g boot was impossible.

I would argue this is exactly what people need -- 120-130 flex in a 1300g boot is pretty amazing for touring, just like 95 flex in 850g boot is amazing for others (or sometimes, the same people in different situations). I just hope these same brands start trying to improve the quality of the flex next. But I bet it's hard to focus on that when their competitors are focusing on the numbers game -- specifically things like stiffness to weight ratio.

photos

so even if tecnica and other brands(fisher, head, ato, salomon, scarpa) have done a fantastic job in this type of boots, is this really what people need?
    Certainly a yes in my case. Without going into all the details, a ZG T appears to be the boot that will allow me to drive my bigger skis for midwinter touring without being much of a compromise in terms of weight while offering a better fit for my foot than the F1 I had previously been looking at purchasing.

Like all things skiing, there is the argument for multiple tools for various needs and I see a lightweight, go-far setup in my future. But if the fit is anything like the current ZG with improved weight/stride, this checks the boxes for my current needs.

I bought the hawx xtd 130 in 27.5 with custom liner, sole,boot board, take off the first buckle and strap.

2700gr wich mean with this tecnica you can put the weight near 2500gt in the same length,
    with a rockered sole, nice fit and flex, and not the best but a very good range of motion

happy? yes and no
    1- the price
    2-not all the "suppose mnc" alpine binding go well with rockered sole:
    if you want an expensive all in one
    it's because you want to use a big part of your quiver
    look carefully if your alpine binding accept this rockered sole (by example with my atomic WTR the height setting on a warden was at the maximum)
    4- quality of flex

Need? It's what people are buying. You did.