Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by couchsending View Post
    For me they fit much better especially around the lower leg than the old ones. The old mold was a Cochise mold that was designed around a much thicker liner. This new mold is it’s own so the liner fits much better in the shell and the boot itself is much lower volume for my skinny lower leg.
    This was my beef with the previous ZeroG, way too much space from the ankle upwards. All fixed with a custom foam injection liner though, albeit at a considerable weight penalty (and massive skiing improvement). For weight and ROM improvement, i am tempted by the new one. Does it really ski as well as the old one?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    This was my beef with the previous ZeroG, way too much space from the ankle upwards. All fixed with a custom foam injection liner though, albeit at a considerable weight penalty (and massive skiing improvement). For weight and ROM improvement, i am tempted by the new one. Does it really ski as well as the old one?
    It skis better imo

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Zero G Guide Pros from last year I found soft at room temp but got mighty stiff in the cold. Which of this years' Zero G would be slightly less stiff in the cold?
    If memory serves, the first year yellow Guide Pro was all Triax, and the second year was Grilamid. The only visual difference was the sophomore version said "Grilamid" in small text on the side of the shell. If yours stiffened up a lot in the cold, is there a chance you had the Triax (Pebax) one?

I'm no boot expert, but I'd expect the Triax one to change with temperature more, and the Grilamid one to be stiffer all the time (same mold with stiffer material) but less temp sensitive.

Still dialing in the fit and the strap, but am otherwise impressed. I do have pretty serious pain under the second buckle up from the toe. Have been skinning and skiing with it unbuckled to alleviate the pain. The performance on the down is acceptable. Will take them back to my local to see what they can do. Anyone else have this?

Got one alpine day in these so far, pretty impressed overall. First thouhgts? WOW these are light, like unbelievably light. The flex feels as stiff as my older 2013 cochise 120s with powerwraps but far more even. They ski much better. The toe box is perfect for me, heel cup nice and tight. Things are pretty tight on the instep though, going to have to figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Still dialing in the fit and the strap, but am otherwise impressed. I do have pretty serious pain under the second buckle up from the toe. Have been skinning and skiing with it unbuckled to alleviate the pain. The performance on the down is acceptable. Will take them back to my local to see what they can do. Anyone else have this?
    When trying on the boots in my living room, I had a huge pinch there at the midfoot around the 2nd buckle from the toe as well. The clog has a bit of an hourglass shape on the inside edge of the foot where it tapers in from the toebox. In my case that pinch was hitting a bone in my arch, so i gave up on the fit pretty quickly and returned the boots. I wasn't too sure punching in that area could have helped. It seemed like i would be fighting the general shape of the clog. Anyways, good luck! I really wanted to like these boots. Everything else about them were spot on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    When trying on the boots in my living room, I had a huge pinch there at the midfoot around the 2nd buckle from the toe as well. The clog has a bit of an hourglass shape on the inside edge of the foot where it tapers in from the toebox. In my case that pinch was hitting a bone in my arch, so i gave up on the fit pretty quickly and returned the boots. I wasn't too sure punching in that area could have helped. It seemed like i would be fighting the general shape of the clog. Anyways, good luck! I really wanted to like these boots. Everything else about them were spot on.
    I am having similar thoughts. Not sure what the local shop will be able to do, but bet they'll have some suggestions. I may be removing the straps as I don't like the static feel (too stiff) so that may swap some weight out if the shop has to add some back with some padding?

I've got the darker green Zero G Guides from last year (not the pros). I've been very happy with them, except for the extra room in the ankle area. I actually put an old cochise liner in them and have been stoked.

I had a crack develop in the same spot in both cuffs after skiing them for 1/2 a season. Tecnica just got back to my shop today saying they'd replace them under warranty.

Couple questions-
    1- Which boot from this year is most similar to the darker green Zero G Guides that I have from last year? Would it be scout or the tour? EDIT- seems like the tour since it has a 110 flex?
    2- I liked these boots so much that they became my go to for in bounds and out of bounds. Any thoughts on inbounds performance of the this years model vs last years? Am i giving up stability ot crud busting capability with the lighter boot from this year?
    3-Does this years model work in the Salomon/Atomic Shift or is the sole rocker too big?

Any other considerations I should have before pulling the trigger on the replacement? Thanks!

Put in a few runs inbounds on mine, pretty damn nice for a 1,340g boot. Wish they had a bit more forward lean adjustment for use with Wardens (will probably shim the binding heel a bit), but they're probably perfect with most tech binders.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Wish they had a bit more forward lean adjustment for use with Wardens (will probably shim the binding heel a bit), but they're probably perfect with most tech binders.
    Was just gong to ask the masses about the forward lean. Its not much at 13 degrees max. Its not something you can really feel until you ski it. I'm keen on these boots for a bunch of reasons but would like hear others thought on the forward lean. Too upright?

And I'm hoping there's a trick to getting these on without inducing a hernia. It was quite the effort in the shop yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Was just gong to ask the masses about the forward lean. Its not much at 13 degrees max. Its not something you can really feel until you ski it. I'm keen on these boots for a bunch of reasons but would like hear others thought on the forward lean. Too upright?

And I'm hoping there's a trick to getting these on without inducing a hernia. It was quite the effort in the shop yesterday!
    IME, they loosen up. I feed/push mu heel down with my fingers and pull up on the tongue. Helps if they’re warm. But they are easier to get on after a month of weekend use.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post

This is music to my ears. Been skiing my maestrale rs2 on tectons/vipecs. 10mm delta and a very forward leaning boot.

Skinned today on my lupo ti. Much more upright boot - much more in my comfort zone. Much more “point and go” than “finesse it from the backseat”. Part of that I’m sure is how stiff AF the lupos are. But I think the boot canting (correct term?) difference or the difference in how upright the boots are is having an impact.

Planning to shim the toes of those binders. But I think I’d be much happier with a more upright touring boot.

Anyone jonesing to trade me a pair of 2019 26.5 zero g pros for some more forward leaning maestrale rs 2.0?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Keep in mind that these boots have a standard boot board that can be sanded down to give you more room over your instep. Not many boots in this weight class do you even have that option.

Widest part of my foot is under the second buckle. Is rather tight out of the box, quick punch eliminated that right away.

For those needing more forward lean try a spoiler. If there’s a Surefoot nearby they make some nice extra thick ones for their foam liners. They usually have a bunch laying around. The Lange spoilers are pretty thick as well. Glue on a little Velcro and you’re good to go.

About the only time I ever wish for a bit more forward lean is toward the end of carved turns, when the tail is loaded. If the boot or ramp is too upright, it's harder to keep your torso ahead of the center of the outside ski (and your leg extends into a position of weakness), if that makes any sense.

EDIT: Thought the forward lean adjustment was already at +1mm (bought the boots used), but they weren't. Just bumped them up to +1, should definitely help.

Yeah, these shells feel like they'll be hard to get on and off when it's really cold. With a high instep, it's a pretty tough squeeze even at 40 degrees F.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-11-2018 at 12:00 AM.

This may be nitpicking, but I find the cuff buckles to be pretty annoying. The flexible loop material makes them challenging to get adjust to the proper catch (at least for me, I lack skills...) and they get caught up on the touring extender. Yes, they are light, but I doubt they are any lighter than old school rigid wire bails and they are definitely more difficult to use, I don't see the benefit. Other than that... They ski fantastically, particularly for the weight, fit is dramatically improved coming from my MTN Labs. Touring ROM is quite impressive for a boot this beefy

Had a second day on these with alpine bindings (wardens) and much stiffer skis and I'm very impressed. I can feel myself flexing through them when I'm really really pushing things (80+km/h) but the flex still feels better than my old cochise 120s. Going to try the spoilers that came with the boots next time. Also, the instep is not really bothering me anymore, maybe just needed another day? I never had the boots or liners heat molded so could just be the break-in period. Still can't get over how light these are. Really looking forward to touring in these!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    This may be nitpicking, but I find the cuff buckles to be pretty annoying. The flexible loop material makes them challenging to get adjust to the proper catch (at least for me, I lack skills...) and they get caught up on the touring extender. Yes, they are light, but I doubt they are any lighter than old school rigid wire bails and they are definitely more difficult to use, I don't see the benefit. Other than that... They ski fantastically, particularly for the weight, fit is dramatically improved coming from my MTN Labs. Touring ROM is quite impressive for a boot this beefy
    I set those cuff buckles and then forget. You move them out in the field then?

This may be nitpicking, but I find the cuff buckles to be pretty annoying.
    I also wish there was some kind of catch to hold the loop on the desired rung when the cuff is unbuckled (like the touring rung at the end of the ladder does) so you could just flip them closed and jump on your skis. I realize that these weren't meant to be coach or ski area work boots, but they're pretty awesome for it. Might rig up some kind of little plastic keeper strip over the slot in the ladder, attached at the first screw hole in the cuff.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-11-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I set those cuff buckles and then forget. You move them out in the field then?
    If lapping, moving them back to the touring rung before starting up again really improves the ROM for me. I'd be happy to set and forget, but moving them makes a big difference.
    I defended the fiddly-ness after day 1, but now with a few more days on them it's annoying. Not close to a deal breaker, but they do stick when I'd like them to free and latch on the wrong rung, or latch half on and half off. Not great.
    Quote Originally Posted by couchsending View Post
    Keep in mind that these boots have a standard boot board that can be sanded down to give you more room over your instep. Not many boots in this weight class do you even have that option.

Widest part of my foot is under the second buckle. Is rather tight out of the box, quick punch eliminated that right away.
    Great. Thanks. By punch do you mean at the top of the foot near the buckle or on the side?

Coming from a Dynafit Vulcan, these ZG TP boots are so much less fiddly one they are on your feet that there is almost no comparison... less fiddly than my alpine boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

[QUOTE=LeeLau;5525886]I set those cuff buckles and then forget. You move them out in the field then?[/QUOTE

I only move them between a ski position and a tour position. I tried touring with the buckles on the catch in the ski position but buckles open, but it drastically reduces ROM compared to moving it to the touring catch.

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    ... Going to try the spoilers that came with the boots next time. ... Still can't get over how light these are. Really looking forward to touring in these!
    I use the spoilers in the tongue to make the pressure more even on my pointy shins. I think that's what they're fore I do use a spoiler in the back as well
    They tour great so you will be happy for sure!

On the flat I have the cuff buckles fully open since ROM get's very restricted backwards otherwise. With a bit more steep skinning I put the lower one on the touring latch and the upper one open, set and forget. Awesome boots this far after 4 days this far!
    Probably gonna use another liner for inbounds to save the stock one for touring only.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Coming from a Dynafit Vulcan, these ZG TP boots are so much less fiddly one they are on your feet that there is almost no comparison... less fiddly than my alpine boots.
    Yup. That's what I compare them with. My old Vulcans are a spiderweb of loops. Guess I'm fortunate. Set the buckles to ski mode then unlatch them when I tour. Don't even tighten the powerstrap as these things are so stiff

I tried these on again today with my current Intuition Powerwrap liners. Angels sang to me on my first forward flex - these are just so progressive. I did a few mock transitions and looks as though i'll only need to undo top buckles to tour - not reset onto touring hook. After so many years on the Mercury's it'll be awesome to transition without that top buckle and loops all caught up in my pant cuff.

But i have almost 3 fingers behind my smaller left foot when we did the shell fit. Need to try on a smaller shell for piece of mind (not in stock). Hoping these don't sell out for the season before I can take them home!

^ Three fingers? Was wondering how you fit Powerwraps in there.

Wonder if the Plug wrap or Plug Race would be a good fit for these shells for inbounds days, thinking a medium volume liner might be too much material.