How bad/good are the off-brand fly reels on Amazon?

Not talking about an Okuma Sierra, talking about Piscifun, Croch or Goture or the like. Made in china, no brand, no support, but dirt cheap - like $20-$30 for some of them fly reels. Anyone have experience good, bad, reel failed with a fish of a lifetime horrible?

I got a piscifun sword for free a couple years back. It’s not terrible but it isn’t a sealed drag. All in all a decent deal for the money considering it is machined aluminum. Drag isn’t anything to write home about but it holds line and looks decent enough.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There's only so many factories over there that make fly reels so there's that....

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    There's only so many factories over there that make fly reels so there's that....
    I was basically looking for a Quangsheng/Luban/Alix/Juuma/WoodRiver wood plane http://remisquotable.blogspot.com/20...-in-china.html , but in the fly reel market so a cabelas/whatever knockoff, which is what the amzn ones kind of look like. might experiment come spring.

Just my opinion, but when it comes to gear, money spent on gear that isn't durable is money wasted.

How bad/good are the off-brand fly reels on Amazon?

I think I’m with Neckdeep on this. I have some old reels, maybe three or four that are sitting in a box with weird lines on them that I use once every couple years. Lead core, shooting heads, etc. Those shitty reels have been replaced by good durable ones, almost all from longtime, well known companies.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Aren't reels just line holders at the lower weights?

Granted a nice reel is going to be more enjoyable to use, but at the end of the day if it does't impact the fishing does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Aren't reels just line holders at the lower weights?

Granted a nice reel is going to be more enjoyable to use, but at the end of the day if it does't impact the fishing does it matter?
    A quality reel is going to make a world of difference, for a multitude of reasons.

That said, if u are just getting into it, or only do a certain type of fishing once in a while. I think the low end unbranded reels are fantastic entry point.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    A quality reel is going to make a world of difference, for a multitude of reasons.

That said, if u are just getting into it, or only do a certain type of fishing once in a while. I think the low end unbranded reels are fantastic entry point.
    Exactly, and yes they’re usually just line holders in the lower weights for the most part, but you still want it to last, and work well. All the well known brands have an entry level reel, that, (at the least), would be backed by that company.

Thanks for the replies.

I fly fish for bass and don't get out a ton. I'm using some shitty Albright reels that work well enough but I've never been able to justify the cost of a nice reel.

There you go. I didn’t do this kind of research a million years ago when I got back into fly-fishing, so I bought a cheap reel or 2. That said, there was no way to do this kind of research, and now the cheapest reels are way better than the same price-point now. I have 3 Albrights for the kind of thing you use them for and they’re fine.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    and now the cheapest reels are way better than the same price-point now
    that's what prompted my question. 20 years ago I started with a cheap $30 reel that was shit, got bent on the 2nd trip returned it bought a quality lower end reel from someone better that lasted years. But the reel business has changed since then, lots. None of the "big" reel makers of 20 years ago are in the same configuration, and given what changed in and after the last recession (Teton went under then got revived, Ross got sold to 3m then Orvis then Mayfly, 3m killed off scientific anglers reels, Hardy ended up at Jarden/Newell) I wouldn't be surprised to see more changes whenever the next recession hits rendering the quality of the backing to me somewhat nebulous.

what's a good reel brand these days anyways? what's a decent 3/4 weight reel for under $150?

The old farts at WAflyfishing like Allen reels a lot, and the owner guy used to post a lot. They seem pretty good for the price. Can't speak from experience.
    https://www.allenflyfishing.com/fly-fishing-reels/

Just go tenkara, bro. There's a thread about it here somewhere.

Can I use the same leader straightener, or will I need a Tenkara specific one?