Narrow Ultralight AT Boots

After a week of skiing my MTN Labs out in JH, I'm thinking of going for a lighter setup and going beyond the idea of a quiver-of-one boot.

I don't have the widest foot, as the MTN Labs didn't require any punching for width, nor do I have the highest arch. My only complaint with the MTN Lab is the heel pocket was just a little too wide and I had to keep my lower buckle tight at all times when skinning.

It seems to me that the current crop of AT boots are all 102.5mm+ in width outside of the MTN series and Backland.

Are there other boots besides the MTN Explore and Backland I should look at when I start my new boot search?

If you can find a TLT6, those were quite narrow. I actually had to punch mine, which is really really rare for my AA width foot.

The Salomon X Alp is quite narrow, although it might have a similar heel pocket to the MTN Lab - at least with the stock liner. An Inuition Pro Tour solved this for me. And yeah the Backland and TLT6.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    If you can find a TLT6, those were quite narrow.
    IME, TLT5M/TLT5P are the narrowest. Green TLT6M is a bit wider (although still quite narrow). Blue TLT6M is a bit wider than green. I don't have experience with the TLT6P models.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    green TLT6P was relatively narrow I thought. Fischer Carbon Travers too but I suspect that might be a little too "ultralight" for you? (MTN lab is pretty burly and MTN explore is still 1400g+, the backlands are light though so maybe I am off base with what you're looking for. Travers ski like ~95 flex, I love them but I haven't owned alpine boots in a while, my last inbounds setup was tele)
    I'll keep the Fischer in mind.

I'm not too partial on a flex # since they differ so greatly between brands. I'll make a more "educated" assessment if/when I try a boot on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    IME, TLT5M/TLT5P are the narrowest. Green TLT6M is a bit wider (although still quite narrow). Blue TLT6M is a bit wider than green. I don't have experience with the TLT6P models.
    You're right, I forgot the fit changed between the green and blue TLT6s. AFAIK the P and the M have the same fit. I have green TLT6Ps.

mbillie-
    So the Fischer Traverse is narrow despite being advertised as 100mm?

Thanks l had written this boot off as being too wide, there’s a lot about it I like so will try to get one on my skinny feet.

Curious as to if anyone has skied the X-Alp and Fischer and able to compare flexes as well as ski-ability.

OP, what size are you looking for? I’ll probably sell my 26.5 TLT6Ps this season.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    OP, what size are you looking for? I’ll probably sell my 26.5 TLT6Ps this season.
    I rock a 26.5 MTN Lab

How do the F1s compare to the Fischer and tlt 6?

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    I can only compare it to TLT6P, TLT7P, Alien RS
    How does fit for length between TLT6 and Alien RS compare to you?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    How do the F1s compare to the Fischer and tlt 6?
    Newer TLT 6's are more spacious than older ones. Compared to older version F1's are wider in the fore and mid foot and tighter around the heel/ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    If you can find a TLT6, those were quite narrow. I actually had to punch mine, which is really really rare for my AA width foot.
    The dynafit speedfit boot is the same shoe shell as the TLT6.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Newer TLT 6's are more spacious than older ones. Compared to older version F1's are wider in the fore and mid foot and tighter around the heel/ankle.
    Sorry, just to be clear, the new F1s are wider in the fore and mid and narrower in the heel and ankle than the old F1s?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Sorry, just to be clear, the new F1s are wider in the fore and mid and narrower in the heel and ankle than the old F1s?
    Compared the older TLT 6's, F1's are wider in the fore and mid foot and tighter around the heel/ankle. F1's haven't changed, as far as I know, unless we're comparing to the old green ones with the bellows.

I have a wide forefoot and a flat arch and the (new) F1s fit me well without any punching. Only other boot in the class for me was the TLT7, which are awfully wide. So OP, I would guess neither would be great for you.

Try the Atomic Hawx XTD. Tighter fit on my really narrow foot than the salomons, especially in the heel. I ended up in the Lange XT LV to use for my one boot quiver, which fits a hair tighter on the instep than the XTD. but, a good bit heavier. See if you can't try the Dalbello Lupo as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums