Strava is the devil

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...mpression=true

strava is really a opt-in big brother. They know if you have been naughty or nice.

I wonder if strava will ever give away the secret of posting in the wrong forum?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

I agree. Down right evil.

I've seen a strava heat trail in some places i wouldnt expect. One goes right to my winter stash. And I don't mean pow stash. I picked a spot way way out where nobody really goes. And set up a camp one winter. At one point someone must have been using their Strava. Either within our group, or more likely, someone who followed our tracks. There is no reason to go to where we camped.

Please, set your trackers to privacy mode!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I wonder if strava will ever give away the secret of posting in the wrong forum?
    Heat mapping for forums now too?

Strava at Burning Man man!? Cochella's really gonna suck this year.

When reached for comment, President Cats CEO of strava issued the following response:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault-2.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	222472
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

How secret can a US army base really be? US soldiers are not exactly famous for mixing in with the locals. i'm sure the locals all know the locations. Only the American people and Congress don't.

Name:  devel.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  112.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    How secret can a US army base really be? US soldiers are not exactly famous for mixing in with the locals. i'm sure the locals all know the locations. Only the American people and Congress don't.
    never mind the locals how about and all them contracters ?

we had a guy who had worked large systems on graveyard shift in a secret american base in the desert for 14 yrs before moving to Vancover everbody liked buddy cuz he would work graveyard, except for that one day a week where he went to play war games ...so american eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    .......one day a week where he went to play war games ...so american eh
    shut your dirty commie mouth !!!!
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

I don’t understand the timing of the news.... the heatmap has been available for a few years....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I don’t understand the timing of the news.... the heatmap has been available for a few years....

Stinks of collusion and coverup.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

I noticed on previous versions of the heatmap, there were some areas that were "blacked out" where it was obvious that people still rode. Unsanctioned or illegal stuff like Cypress in Vancouver, and Britannia Beach loamers. I think a local trail association or stakeholder could get Strava to remove that data from the heat map. In 2017 version of the heat map, this stuff is all visible. Strava probably has so much data, and too many NIMBY's (stop parking in front of my house!) to bother cutting data from the heat map. Or they figure if someone is bold enough to show that they are in these areas to their followers, they don't care if they are on the public heat map. Maybe military bases were "blacked out" in previous versions?

Yeah,
    1) You'd think the guys using it would maybe not make their data public... whoops
    2) You'd hope that the monkeys at Strava might use some discretion and ask before just blanket publishing... whoops.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    I noticed on previous versions of the heatmap, there were some areas that were "blacked out" where it was obvious that people still rode. Unsanctioned or illegal stuff like Cypress in Vancouver, and Britannia Beach loamers. I think a local trail association or stakeholder could get Strava to remove that data from the heat map. In 2017 version of the heat map, this stuff is all visible. Strava probably has so much data, and too many NIMBY's (stop parking in front of my house!) to bother cutting data from the heat map. Or they figure if someone is bold enough to show that they are in these areas to their followers, they don't care if they are on the public heat map. Maybe military bases were "blacked out" in previous versions?
    they definitely black out some of the private trail systems in Utah.

From the very beginning of strava, it was pointed out to me how easy it is to pinpoint someone's house, see if they have a routine, etc. there are certainly privacy issues but like mntlion said its an opt-in big brother of sorts. I still use it and i'm glad a bunch of SLC crushers use it because spying on them provides good beta and motivation. I would just recommend not starting strava right at your front door, maybe wait a block or two

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    they definitely black out some of the private trail systems in Utah.

From the very beginning of strava, it was pointed out to me how easy it is to pinpoint someone's house, see if they have a routine, etc. there are certainly privacy issues but like mntlion said its an opt-in big brother of sorts. I still use it and i'm glad a bunch of SLC crushers use it because spying on them provides good beta and motivation. I would just recommend not starting strava right at your front door, maybe wait a block or two
    You can turn a privacy setting on so that Strava puts a virtual little privacy circle around your house or office. That way someone following you might be able to figure out your neighborhood but not your address.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Only the American people and Congress don't.
    (know)

just dropped in to say:

pretty much standard procedure (everyone knows already)

and

Not always an American installation - lots of TDY assignments
    ​I am not in your hurry

I feel like there was a huge missed opportunity here for drawing a penis. Fucking Stravassholes.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I think I read it was suggested they use it by someone somewhere way high up in some command. Then who knows if it also came with an explanation of privacy settings. Plus, all these apps usually share shit automatically and you have to take steps to opt out.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.